Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Minis and Imps

Some oldies I scanned from a friends collection, the slides were starting to gather moss! All good stuff though.

And from the McLaren Festival

Was the #165 Imp pedalled by a bloke called Peter Levett ?

The Jim Richards-driven Sidchrome Imp was not the Harrington Imp, it was originally raced in dull Imp red with a white roof, I think it was owned by Brian Patrick.

Peter Levett - yes it was.

Sorry to put this up twice in a day, but it deserves to be here as well. The first (a far as I know) outing of the Rod Collingwood Mini now owned by the Foggs - a terrific car then and it still is.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Wasn't the Levett Imp an ex-Alan Fraser team car from the UK?

Love to know if that Mk3 ute in front of Graham Watsons mini is around still, what a neat wagon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I took this shot at Pukekohe back in about 1967

Name:  File0004.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  173.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Wasn't the Levett Imp an ex-Alan Fraser team car from the UK?

Rings a big bell David, and that would certainly explain the blue paint job with the white cross on the roof.

PS The Aussie lightweight Minis of Holland, Leffler and Brown were at BayPark at Easter, 1968, and I think the Puke meeting was the weekend after.

Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Car 72 is Alan Woolfe's Triumph Vitesse - obviously it had a streamlined nose. I saw him swap it back to a normal road-going bonnet once, complete with lights, to drive home.
    From memory Alan drove it like this as an "allcomer" and then after a nose swap raced it at the same meeting as a production car with the standard nose.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    I loved Roy Harringtons bright yellow Imp and yes it was quick but seemed to suffer from mechanical gremlins too often.

Chucking off the fanbelt and overheating more often than not, if I recall. Poor bugger. A crowd favourite all the same.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    I took this shot at Pukekohe back in about 1967

Name:  File0004.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  173.3 KB
    ........the PDL Minis, were beautifully presented for the time,seem to remember one 'Tripping' over and showing up next day with a vynal roof, they also had some real trick components,Roller Bearing 5 speed G/Boxes,which if you study the Book of 'Urban Myths", may have come from some 'Factory' Minis, that had been in the Country...that may have gone home with empty case's, Literally ..............Ring!!Ring!!!David,UK calling..???????????.............regards thunder427/MJ

This is the former Collingwoood Mini at this year's Hampton Downs Festival of Motor Racing, taken by the festival chairman Jim Barclay. The good-lookin' blokes are Rod Collingwood and forum member Amco72, aka Gerald Fogg. The car is a credit to all involved.

Hampton Downs festival

Oops

Name:  IMG_4260 copy.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  158.0 KB

I see at the top of this page a photos of Alan Boyles purple and white Mini. I presume that this was the colour scheme he was referring to. Does anyone have a contact address so that we can get him onto this site ??

Phil Horrobin might have some info about Alan's mini?

Amco powerplant

And lots of carburettion from a Broadspeed example.

More from Hampton Downs

Name:  IMG_7567.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  156.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5303.jpg
Views: 2416
Size:  147.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    I see at the top of this page a photos of Alan Boyles purple and white Mini. I presume that this was the colour scheme he was referring to.

That's actually an old slide in which the red colour has carked it. In reality, that car was Coke red and white. But I reckon he had his car purple before that, with gold numbers.