Thread: This one's worth saving.

Semi-Pro Racer

This one's worth saving.

Spotted this on TradeMe:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-844718135.htm

It's a bit of a lucky-dip but the motor alone might be worth the $2k asking price.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I agree Malcolm!
    Anyone know it's history?

I agree...would like to know it's history as well.....just not enough room in the garage at the moment.

Semi-Pro Racer
    What was it - I was late....

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    What was it - I was late....
    Lotus 7 copy, built in '67 with period race history. Worked Ford crossflow. Some assembly required. $2k for the lot.

Has been withdrawn by seller,so probably sold,tried to get some info on it like owners/history etc but received no response.Maybe if it has been bought a dialogue will start up here.I did look in Vercoes book but nothing .

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    Has been withdrawn by seller,so probably sold,tried to get some info on it like owners/history etc but received no response.Maybe if it has been bought a dialogue will start up here.I did look in Vercoes book but nothing .
    Never mind, here's a better deal, trade me 851612508

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Never mind, here's a better deal, trade me 851612508

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=851612508

When you look at the Lotus site on Trade Me there is some good buying there,one that just sold i think was on at $5000,that is a bargain for what it was.These Lotus 7 type seem to pop up regularly and when they do ,generally, for what they would have taken to build make this site worth keeping an eye on.Damm ,so many good cars,so little space and money !!!!

Damned good car and belongs to someone on here too (Not me)

Semi-Pro Racer
    The car that was the subject of this thread was a "basket case" but, at $2000 ono, would still be a very cheap entry for someone wanting to get into historic racing. Ford 1600 Kent motors rarely go for less than $500 these days. Add in a gearbox, rear end etc and the asking price was probably around the cost of the major components alone.
    The car listed on Trademe in ChCh which is under offer ($5,000) was also a steal.
    At present I am building a "Locost" and am anticipating it will cost me around $6000 to complete. It will not be road legal so that figure does not include LVVTA certification.
    What I cannot figure is how sellers can ask up to $35,000 for Lotus 7 replicas yet genuine cars (admittedly Series 4 models which are not popular) are advertised for $10,500 and $15,000. I don't know of any other case where a replica is worth more than the genuine article.

Someone got a damned good car there

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Someone got a damned good car there
    Sold to a really nice guy who did not even make an offer,just paid the full asking price. He will get all the advice & follow up help he needs for however long he needs it,