Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping Race Cars

Of course the average wage earner can no longer afford to take part here. Donkeys years ago (when I was at teachers college as a student) my first pay on the 10 July 1967 was $32.67 a fortnight and I could afford to compete at club events without strain on the budget. 3 years later a brand new 1275 Clubman was $2212 and some cents
    Now an entry for a club hillclimb last weekend was $135. Compulsory full cage etc required. To put a cage in a car is about $3500 plus the complying. Average wage earner which takes into account the high earners is still under $34 per hour, of course all taxed. I can't afford to compete at club events any more after over 50 years of wage earning!
    Is your Virginia averaged over all earners?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Of course the average wage earner can no longer afford to take part here. Donkeys years ago (when I was at teachers college as a student) my first pay on the 10 July 1967 was $32.67 a fortnight and I could afford to compete at club events without strain on the budget. 3 years later a brand new 1275 Clubman was $2212 and some cents
    Now an entry for a club hillclimb last weekend was $135. Compulsory full cage etc required. To put a cage in a car is about $3500 plus the complying. Average wage earner which takes into account the high earners is still under $34 per hour, of course all taxed. I can't afford to compete at club events any more after over 50 years of wage earning!
    Is your Virginia averaged over all earners?
    No,not averaged over all earners. Virginia salaries vary widely by county but in general the northern half of Virginia has way higher salaries (and costs) then the southern region. North has high paid govt jobs (DC related), high tech and medical industries. South used to have tobacco, cotton and textile industries, mostly all gone now to Asia and South America, really still trying to recover since the Civil War....
    If you like, you can email me direct about some of the off-topic issues - ellwoodusa@yahoo.com
    The above is just a snapshot of the south, it is a wonderfully diverse area, very hospitable and a great place to live.