Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Race Cars

Shipping Race Cars

Can anyone recommend a freight company for shipping a race car and parts between west coast USA and NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    Can anyone recommend a freight company for shipping a race car and parts between west coast USA and NZ?
    Steve Curle Kiwi Shipping they are in California and operate through Mainfreight

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    Grant, in case your not aware there is currently a container shipping delay on the west coast and some folk have been finding it quicker to ship out of your neck of the woods on the east coast.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 02-19-2015 at 12:26 AM.

I have used GT logistics and have nothing but good things to say. They have numerous shipping departure places.

World Champion
    Hey Grant,
    You can leave it all at my place ..( You just may not ever see it again ! )
    Are you heading back to Aoteoroa ?
    All the best mate.
    Ken. (Los Olivos, California )

Grant, contact phil@gtlogistics.co.nz he will sort it out for you. He`s organised plenty of cars out of the US for me, including my HMC A Sedan Camaro out of Colorado. He does all my vehicle and machinery imports out of Japan as well ....

Steve Elliott.

As Jac says, there is a big delay from West Coast, people talking about this last weekend. union stuff apparently

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Grant, contact phil@gtlogistics.co.nz he will sort it out for you. He`s organised plenty of cars out of the US for me, including my HMC A Sedan Camaro out of Colorado. He does all my vehicle and machinery imports out of Japan as well ....

Steve Elliott.
    Grant,
    Steve is absolutely correct. Phil helped me ship a 1972 Mini from Auckland to Los Angeles back in 2003 when he was at another shipping company and everything went so well I wish I had shipped a dozen more ! I wish the same for you.
    (Ken Hyndman )

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    As Jac says, there is a big delay from West Coast, people talking about this last weekend. union stuff apparently
    Be aware that the shipping companies are now charging a "congestion fee". There are a multitude of vessels in the stream waiting for berths. I import a lot of machinery from the US and it goes through the West Coast. One order placed in December has not yet been loaded. Delays are up to a month from cargo "Notice of Readiness". Cancellation of sailings from US and Europe are the norm at the moment. The cause is the longshoremen (watersiders) are negotiating their wages and have been doing that for quite some time. As long as you are not in a hurry then no problem. Alternative is to road product to the East Coast and sail through the Panama canal but transit time and costs are increased.

Cheers
    Dave

Not sure about the shipping costs increasing, Phil quoted me almost the same from any US port. Transit time isn't too much different either.

World Champion
    Grant,
    As I was saying , instead of paying a congestion fee you can leave your vehicle here with me and then in August I can take you 3 hours up the road to Laguna Seca to this event. That would be fair don't you think ?
    Check this out ;

" Entry Requests for Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion Exceed Previous Years; Record Gathering of Formula 5000 Cars Expected

MONTEREY, Calif., February 12, 2015 — Surpassing previous years’ flurry of entry requests before the deadline strikes, the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion’s Governing Committee today began the arduous task of reviewing each entry to reduce the total car count to a maximum of 550. The process is time-consuming, but ensures that each car is authentic and historically accurate when they arrive at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca August 13-16.

Several race groups in particular are attracting special interest and a high caliber list of entrants. “To honor this year’s featured marque, there is a dedicated Shelby Mustang class that will provide a fitting salute to the Shelby GT350 Mustang’s heritage on its 50th anniversary,” said Gill Campbell, CEO and general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

For Trans-Am enthusiasts, the ever-popular class returns to flex its all-American muscle. These are the very same cars made famous by the likes of Parnelli Jones, George Follmer, Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, Sam Posey and so many more between 1966 and 1972.

From the rumble of American metal, comes the high-revving frenetic pace of historic Formula 1 cars. Nearly 30 F1 cars that spanned the racing era of 1967 to 1984 will be on track in their original livery bearing such names as Jacky Ickx, Mario Andretti, Niki Lauda and James Hunt. The pinnacle of motor racing, there will be representation from Ferrari, Lola, Williams, Lotus and McLaren, among other constructors that competed.

For the first time in the 41-year history of historic racing in Monterey will be a group of Formula 5000 cars. And what a group it will be: 50 cars have requested entry and all are period correct and a stunning example of open-wheel racing that was held between 1968 and 1976. Notably, it is anticipated to be the largest collection of Formula 5000 cars to ever race at once. The international field includes former world champion cars like the ex-Mario Andretti 1974 Lola, a 1969 Gurney Eagle that hasn’t been seen since 1970, and Tony Adamowicz’s 1969 Gurney Eagle that Adamwicz will once again drive.

“This is an astounding collection of important race cars,” Campbell added. “The pedigree of cars that are being entered for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion continues to rise, making it a must see event.”

I would enjoy meeting some of you over here for this. Let me know if you can make it.

( Ken Hyndman )

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my post, didn't expect so many replies! Great info and I am aware of the west coast delays, fortunately not in a great hurry to ship right now. I am based on the east coast (Virginia) so certainly have options regarding sea routes.
    We have just returned from a long overdue visit to NZ, managed to catch the last day of the HD Festival. After leaving our very cold winter my wife Peggy (first trip to NZ) got heat stroke at HD and we left the track around 2pm so missed seeing some of my old friends, but enjoyed chatting with those I did catch up with.
    And special thanks to Jan McLaren for her hospitality at the Trust tent, Peg was able to shelter from the sun for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Grant,
    As I was saying , instead of paying a congestion fee you can leave your vehicle here with me and then in August I can take you 3 hours up the road to Laguna Seca to this event. That would be fair don't you think ?
    Check this out ;

" Entry Requests for Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion Exceed Previous Years; Record Gathering of Formula 5000 Cars Expected

MONTEREY, Calif., February 12, 2015 — Surpassing previous years’ flurry of entry requests before the deadline strikes, the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion’s Governing Committee today began the arduous task of reviewing each entry to reduce the total car count to a maximum of 550. The process is time-consuming, but ensures that each car is authentic and historically accurate when they arrive at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca August 13-16.

Several race groups in particular are attracting special interest and a high caliber list of entrants. “To honor this year’s featured marque, there is a dedicated Shelby Mustang class that will provide a fitting salute to the Shelby GT350 Mustang’s heritage on its 50th anniversary,” said Gill Campbell, CEO and general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

For Trans-Am enthusiasts, the ever-popular class returns to flex its all-American muscle. These are the very same cars made famous by the likes of Parnelli Jones, George Follmer, Mark Donohue, Dan Gurney, Sam Posey and so many more between 1966 and 1972.

From the rumble of American metal, comes the high-revving frenetic pace of historic Formula 1 cars. Nearly 30 F1 cars that spanned the racing era of 1967 to 1984 will be on track in their original livery bearing such names as Jacky Ickx, Mario Andretti, Niki Lauda and James Hunt. The pinnacle of motor racing, there will be representation from Ferrari, Lola, Williams, Lotus and McLaren, among other constructors that competed.

For the first time in the 41-year history of historic racing in Monterey will be a group of Formula 5000 cars. And what a group it will be: 50 cars have requested entry and all are period correct and a stunning example of open-wheel racing that was held between 1968 and 1976. Notably, it is anticipated to be the largest collection of Formula 5000 cars to ever race at once. The international field includes former world champion cars like the ex-Mario Andretti 1974 Lola, a 1969 Gurney Eagle that hasn’t been seen since 1970, and Tony Adamowicz’s 1969 Gurney Eagle that Adamwicz will once again drive.

“This is an astounding collection of important race cars,” Campbell added. “The pedigree of cars that are being entered for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion continues to rise, making it a must see event.”

I would enjoy meeting some of you over here for this. Let me know if you can make it.

( Ken Hyndman )
    Hi Ken, not planning any west coast excursions for a while but will probably run something at the VIR Gold Cup historics later this year for myself or a customer. Hampton Downs was great and you have to admire our fellow Kiwi racers determination - the cost of racing down there seems to be way more expensive than here. Except of course for medical costs, get a significant racing injury here and bankruptcy is just around the corner....

Interesting that you say the cost of racing down here... If you read the thread re Taupo it could be about to get even more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Interesting that you say the cost of racing down here... If you read the thread re Taupo it could be about to get even more expensive.
    I guess because I've been away for so long, everything seems to be way more expensive than I expected. Of course, the NZ minimum wage of $15 is double the federal minimum here so perhaps the costs are just relative to our respective average incomes. The Kiwi economy seems to be robust, hard to get a seat in a restaurant in Auckland and Tauranga at the times we were there (early Feb).
    Just a superficial glance from this end though!

You are right that everything is more expensive. I was in the US last year and it smacked me how much cheaper everything I wanted there was. Accommodation, food, car bits fuel, beer....(and the clothes I needed as I had used the baggage allowance with stuff)

World Champion
    You are right that everything is more expensive. I was in the US last year and it smacked me how much cheaper everything I wanted there was. Accommodation, food, car bits fuel, beer....(and the clothes I needed as I had used the baggage allowance with stuff)
    I can imagine what would happen over here with prices if the minimum wage was $ 15.00 per hour. Everyone would jump on that bandwagon. As Fred Dagg used to sing "You don't know how lucky you are mate "

IF the minimum wage here in NZ was $15 (and it isn't) there may be a few more people with a touch more money and prices would of course go up as they always have.
    The minimum wage is not really the issue, it is what the average person earns, as distinct from the average wage.
    We are going way off topic here

World Champion
    IF the minimum wage here in NZ was $15 (and it isn't) there may be a few more people with a touch more money and prices would of course go up as they always have.
    The minimum wage is not really the issue, it is what the average person earns, as distinct from the average wage.
    Sorry to get off topic. But I do remember the time in 2001 when I brought 1972 Mini at a garage sale in Papamoa for $ 220.00 USD, (when NZD was .40 c to the USD ! ) drove it around for 18 months and shipped it back here in a container and it was delivered to our home for $ 750.00. I drove it here for 6 months to show I had owned it for 2 years and then sold it for $ 5000.00 (USD).
    I have not made money like that since ! ( The exchange rate does make a difference !)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-21-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Agreed, regarding what the average person earns. Here in southern Virginia it is bugger all, about $9 per hour. Obviously I mistakenly quoted the NZ minimum as $15 but after Googling the relevant govt depts info I note it is $14.25 unless like Murray F1 "I'm very much mistaken" again!
    Not too much off topic really, motorsport is expensive to varying degrees in most countries and it is interesting to make comparisons.
    Kiwi racers seem to have a knack for making the dollar stretch further, long may it continue!