Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
Roger,
I found this Triumph ad in the 1965 Wills Six Hour race programme and thought you may be interested.
(note the prices in Sterling Funds !)
That must have made it hard for an average income earner to get a new car. I think my Dad would put away overseas funds when the wool sold from the farm and then spend it on quarry equipment much to Mum's disgust / disappointment !

Name:  1965 Triumph Ads_NEW.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  181.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
Ken, thanks.
Interesting about the Overseas Funds, remember the first " New Car " my father got a 1963 Ford Zephyr 6, he got because the company he worked for " Briscoe and Company " the original Briscoes, Importers and Ironmongers had ordered the car for a Sale rep and then didn't need it, so was offerd to Mac Dowding at a fair price. the note at the bottom right of the ad. Sterling Funds from Pounds 711 ..
My TR4A was 10 years old when I bought it from Russ Abbott, Empire Motors, who was a force in Triumph Car Club, ran a Dolomite in Heatway and other Rallies and Race meetings - the TR4A was complete, mechanically sound but had a tough life, competed in it for nearly three years - early 1978 -79 - 80, Was getting it ready for 1980/81 season when had a road accident and it was off the road for over 3 years, rebuilt then sold to help buy a house [ wrong priority in hindsight ], as once rebuilt a very nice car - had a 53 Healey 100, very scruffy should have sold that !!