Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

World Champion
    Ardmore. Jan. 1962. The last New Zealand Grand Prix at this circuit.
    Here is a silent YouTube clip of what it was like at Ardmore that day.
    Perhaps the skinny tires of the day helped in the rain compared to the wide tires of today.
    There were not many spins and most of the problems were caused by poor visibility and the drivers being soaked !

(Ken Hyndman )

Semi-Pro Racer
    Interesting program. Hugh Anderson was back a couple of years later demo'ing a works 125 Suzuki at the GP.

World Champion
    January 1963.
    The NZ Grand Prix now moved from Ardmore, to a new circuit at Pukekohe ( "the hill of the koekohe, New Zealand's native mahogany tree).
    The circuit was built for an amazingly low price of fifty thousand pounds!
    If you look closely at this newspaper cutting of Bruce McLaren bursting through you will note the track is not built yet.

Attachment 28846

Name:  image (6).jpeg
Views: 1158
Size:  182.1 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7bmxjB_-Aw

A silent Youtube brief video of what the first race at Pukekohe looked like. Again note the crowd size.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-21-2015 at 03:17 AM. Reason: **

wooow Ken this is amazing , looking down on the then new circuit.... did not realise the follow through to railway was an after thought, now one other thing I am sure I was there with mum & Dad on opening yr 1963 ....... my understanding there was a good race when Bruce brought out his mini cooper [semi works....or works] & had a great race with a green mk 3 zepher , I heard a few stories ......... hey Ken did you know that Vern Jacobsons , is now leased out to Stadium Cars [jap importers] we are have a very mild autumn to date .....

A few slides from the 1961 GP.

Is that Pat Hoare 246 Dino f1 the prettiest car ever ?????????
    Last edited by chaindrive; 04-23-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Grinder, fabulous photos taking me back!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Grinder, fabulous photos taking me back!
    I cant believe these photos!!! Yes it is Pat Hoare and I can still see that beautiful car sliding out of the clover leaf!!! What a classic. Brabham's car roped on a trailer that seems to be made out of 12 mil steel rod.
    Last edited by John H; 04-23-2015 at 01:56 AM.

World Champion
    Grinder,
    Thanks for sharing these fabulous photos. Some great drivers drove these cars.
    # 1 Lotus was for Innes Ireland. # 6 Lotus was for Jim Clark. # 7 Lotus was for Stirling Moss.
    # 8 BRM was for Graham Hill. # 9 BRM was for Dan Gurney.
    # 25 Cooper was for Joakim Bonnier.
    But Pat Hoare's Ferrari # 19 is the best looking of all in my opinion.
    Wow these are so clear..great stuff.

( Ken Hyndman )

Brilliant photos !!!!! Never made it to Ardmore,wow fantastic.

Agreed....what such great photos ....never ever seen b 4 must be lots around we have never seen .......takes us back a bit Thank you for sharing these ...... Grant

Cheers,have some more from '61 & '66 GP,Dads candid shots as he wandered around the pits & paddock,certinally never been seen before,will endevour to scan them up over the weekend.
    Thats me at Ardmore in the pram looking unimpressed by the whole thing.

Last edited by Gearbox Grinder; 04-24-2015 at 12:55 AM.

I seem to remember somewhere you said your shots were your Dads "candid shots". These are platinum (beyond gold!!!) We will forgive the couple which are reversed. Thanks so much for sharing.

World Champion
    Grinder,
    These are just superb photos. Thanks for sharing them. I like the one with Jim Clark and Denny Hulme especially as it captures Clark where he is nervous off the track and was known to always pick at his fingernails (that is something I have in common with Jim !)
    Your photos also capture the open atmosphere where everyone is friendly to each other. I think Jack Brabham loaned parts to Stirling Moss so he could go out and compete one year. The colour is just fantastic. I can't thank you enough. Please share any more that your Dad may have taken.

(Ken Hyndman )

Last edited by Gearbox Grinder; 04-24-2015 at 07:07 AM.

You Kiwis blow me away. I've kept an eye on Ken's great efforts with this thread, but Gearbox Grinder you have added a brilliant new dimension.

Not only has your dad captured some great atmosphere of the 1961 NZ GP, he's also captured John Cooper during what was his only trip downunder during those successful Cooper years. He was the current F1 Constructors champion (2 years running) as he stood there that weekend in January 1961. That's John with left leg on the rear wheel of Jack Brabham's #4 Cooper T53. It's John in the most recent shot posted, complete with pipe.

Love the modern transportation used to tow the then F1 greats. Can you imagine the latest McLaren or Red Bull being towed by a Kia or suchlike.

I don't think its been mentioned but that's Arnold Glass' #10 Cooper Maserati T45 with the Vauxhall behind it.

I've passed the link to Mike Cooper, son of John. He will enjoy seeing them just like the rest of us.

Thank you for showing these Gearbox Grinder.

Stephen
    Last edited by Cooper997; 04-24-2015 at 06:53 AM.

World Champion
    Thank you all for the inputs and comments.
    I think it is appropriate to watch this YouTube clip of the 1961 NZ Grand Prix once again. ( Thanks again Gearbox Grinder )

( Ken Hyndman )