Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
Grant, that is Rod Coppins running to his TecMec # 16. He has his helmet on in the last picture so the other picture does make for interesting optics !
John Nicholson was born in 1941, Chris Amon was born in 1943 and he was driving here at the age of 18 so it is possible it is John or possibly a family member.
Any input is appreciated.

I am still amazed that the Lycoming and the TecMec were entered in 4 races that day including the NZ Grand Prix !
That would have kept their mechanics busy, that's for sure !

(Ken Hyndman )
Thanks for your kind words about my colour slides - there are actually 2 others which fit in between the 2 you put up, time-wise. Coppins is wearing a helmet, it shows up if you blow up the image, but 1960's helmets were quite small, by comparison with later years. J.Nicholson probably wasnt the engine building man, and in any case he didn't start, and my old clippings/programmes don't show him running an A/Healey anywhere else around that time.

This was quite an interest/eventful race, as it turned out. I was swapping emails a few years ago with David McKinney and we found we both done lap charts of the race, me from the main grandstand, and he from the bend before the hairpin, where the cars were closer, and going much slower - better for photos etc. Somebody (bodies?) spun at College corner on the first lap, and when the leader Simon Taylor got to the hairpin he had a 30 second lead, and the there was the downpour!

I will transcribe Dave McK's email and post it tomorrow, it makes good reading.

Stu Buchanan