Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Now going back to Ardmore in 1958. Grand Prix programme.
    This has some interesting items in it.

Name:  0667_001.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  180.1 KB

One of the first races was for Saloon Cars. Here is the entry list and you will note some interesting names, including; P.L. Kerr (Phil Kerr of McLaren Racing) in a D.K.W., John Histed in a Goggomobil, Jim Boyd and a certain Mr. F.E.(Ernie) Sprague in # 20, a Renault Dauphine !

Name:  Entries 1958.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  178.2 KB

Attachment 27984

It is hard to imagine Ernie howling around Ardmore in a Renault Dauphine at 9.35 am before going out in his Maserati 4 CLT for the Grand Prix heats later in the morning !

Grant, was this the tow car when you all came up from the S.I. ?
    Thought you may have all stopped off for some fishing on the way. This looks like Omokoroa perhaps !

Name:  Renault Dauphine.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  Dauphine # 2.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  71.5 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-12-2015 at 05:28 AM.

Hi Ken , I never knew Dad raced a Renault ....... I did however know he did a rally in one , Dad was a Renault franchise holder as there were not a lot of franchisers to be had in those days so he grabbed it with open arms ,,, I am not sure where you got that photo from ....I do not remember it at all , this could have been a promo photo ??? I see Harold Heasley in the saloon car list , he and Dad were very good mates, I use to stay with Harold when Mum & Dad did their trips to Fiji he lived in Rangiora he sort of adopted me as a son he never had & built wooden garages out of nail boxes for me.. Before he past away he built my daughters a beautiful dolls house , a great man also a bit off track never mind lol

World Champion
    Sorry Grant, I did not explain but I just got some pictures from Google pics and put them in regarding the Dauphine !
    It seems you could enter whatever you had, take the hub caps off, paint a number on the door and go out and have fun. It could not have been much of an entry fee when you see the amount of the prize money ! (Especially the motor cycle riders !)

(Ken )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-11-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Sorry Grant, I did not explain but I just got some pictures from Google pics and put them in regarding the Dauphine !
    It seems you could enter whatever you had, take the hub caps off, paint a number on the door and go out and have fun. It could not have been much of an entry fee when you see the amount of the prize money ! (Especially the motor cycle riders !)

Attachment 27985

(Ken )

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    oops this did not come through in the last post.

Attachment 27986
    Name:  Ardmore Awards_NEW.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  180.7 KB
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-11-2015 at 02:28 AM.