Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

The Rorstan drive was a lengthy and convoluted non-event. Pretty sure the listed drive was a Climax-powered car and as a result as you've indicated he never drove it.

World Champion
    Jim was a very good driver but I do not think he drove in single seaters after this. I do remember him at Baypark being upset with Norm Beechey after a saloon car race as they had banged doors coming through the S corners. (Great entertainment )I can't remember whether that was in the Porsche or the Camaro..( I need help on that one )

( Ken Hyndman )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Jim was a very good driver but I do not think he drove in single seaters after this. ( Ken Hyndman )

I reckon you're right. For some reason Rorstan had the Australian driver Paul Bolton driving for them the year before and after a poor results and reliability record he fired a Brabham through the hangar at Wigram. From Levin '68, Bolton on the left, Yock in the Lotus BRM, Palmer in the M4A and Frank Radisich in the Lotus 22 before it became the HCM.
    Name:  Tasman Levin 68.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  15.7 KB

World Champion
    Jan 4th 1969. NZGP. Pukekohe.
    I had been a fan of Chris Amon ever since I had seen him drive in the rain at Ardmore in 1962. Although he did not have much luck on the Formula 1 circuits he was highly regarded by all his competition. Like his team mate Derek Bell, he was fast and talented and also a survivor. He certainly drove well at Pukekohe and this was his second win here.
    ( Another distant "Brownie" camera photo as Chris looked around after winning the NZGP )

Name:  Chris Amon. Winner. 1969 NZGP.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  110.4 KB

(Ken Hyndman ..photo )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-31-2015 at 10:30 PM.

World Champion
    The day after the NZGP. Jan. 1969.
    This was big money back then. Perhaps Rod Grimwood could have been found here. I thank Kevin Hirst for the advice..
    "Ken, look for the bloke on right with paper in hand on post 81, looks like he is pushing car but is actualy pinching the guy's watch, that is Rod, cheers, would love to be there, "
    Kevin, I will keep my "Apple Watch" out of sight at Laguna Seca ! ( Just joking )
    Note on this stock car announcement the name of the one and only Mr. Spinner Black. (Cowan-Black Promotions )He was an enterprising man.

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  140.7 KB

( From 1969 NZGP programme )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-01-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Here you are from the 1968 Shell Year Book

Don't worry about your watch, keep a hand on the wallet cobber.

Cheers see you there
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 07-31-2015 at 10:38 PM.

World Champion
    Well folks it is time for me to sign off as I have run out of old programmes and photos. This has been a fun project bringing back many memories and very interesting inputs. Perhaps some of you can carry on with programmes into the 1970s and beyond. I have taken up too much space and now I am moving aside.
    Thanks,
    Ken Hyndman.

( In 1969 I could have gone off to relax with a "Lexington" filtered cigarette. I just may not have lived long enough to write this ! )

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  169.1 KB

(1969 NZGP programme )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-01-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: **

Thanks Ken for doing this as its been really interesting and brings back a few memories.

Rothmans National Motor Race Meeting, Feb 26th 1966

Name:  IMG_5879.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  118.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5880.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5882.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5883.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5884.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5885.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  143.0 KB

Thank you Ken well done , good photo of Jim Palmer I had a great yarn with him at HD an other fellow car dealer & a top man from Hamilton

World Champion
    Grant,
    You have always supported my "stuff" and I really appreciate that and especially the opportunity to meet you.. I may be back after Laguna Seca..perhaps Rod will provide me with some material !
    Hey, I did find this find this bit on Jim Palmer in the 1969 programme. Interesting comment regarding Colin Chapman. Also ironic in the picture of Bolton through the hanger (post # 286) that it is Jim Palmer driving by in his McLaren M4A.

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  171.1 KB

1969 NZGP programme entry.

(Ken Hyndman )

Note on this stock car announcement the name of the one and only Mr. Spinner Black. (Cowan-Black Promotions )He was an enterprising man.

Ken-
    Spinner and Terry Scott ran Forrest Lake stock cars in Hamilton
    His brother Warren ran Waikaraka Park with Cowan.
    Rod could tell you a few tales as he worked there.
    Warren has a car wrecking business just across the road.
    My son told me you called while you were in NZ recently....next time and with a drive in the Monaro
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 08-01-2015 at 06:49 AM.

World Champion
    Tasman Races in Australia 1969.
    Time to finish off with a Youtube movie showing the sights and sounds of the winged cars that would soon be banned from racing with these wing configurations.
    (Thanks to Alec Mildren & Alfa Romeo for recording this)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-01-2015 at 06:53 AM.

That is interesting Ken ......Jim is a down to earth hard case guy only met him a couple of times but a genuine good bloke ....amazing history in this short read , the other guys I meet from that era were few mainly due to the age gap[ from single seaters ]....but got to know Roly very well ..due to living in same city & same interests re golf & cars [& his beautiful daughters] & cool sons not to mention helping me win a few pre 65 championships in a mustang , hey re Rod [Grimmie] Grimwood I had a text saying he was off to help with fellow kiwi F5000 up yr way, an other top bugga we go back a few yrs hope you catch up with him but don't expect a coffee just good beer ....lol would be good to catch up again, to be honest since you were here I have been running around in overalls cleaning & fixing .........but managed to take family away on a good holiday in between that ..take care Grant

3rd New Zealand Grand Prix, Ardmore, 7 January 1956

Name:  IMG_6803 copy.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  130.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Name:  IMG_6803 copy.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  130.3 KB
    Ken, thanks for all your Posts, Nigel Wow, even older stuff,
    I gave all mine away Programs [ Pukekohe 1965 to around 1983/4 and several from Baypark mid 70's ] to Rhys Jones, the Motorcycle Racer and Author of the book, " On Track - A history of Motor Racing at Pukekohe " published in 2008, I have an Autographed copy from Rhys.
    After writing the book I gave him the programs and he advised " wished he had them before he wrote it .

Keep it coming Guys ..

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Well folks it is time for me to sign off as I have run out of old programmes and photos. This has been a fun project bringing back many memories and very interesting inputs. Perhaps some of you can carry on with programmes into the 1970s and beyond. I have taken up too much space and now I am moving aside.
    Thanks,
    Ken Hyndman.

( In 1969 I could have gone off to relax with a "Lexington" filtered cigarette. I just may not have lived long enough to write this ! )

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  169.1 KB

(1969 NZGP programme )
    In reference to Lexington's "after action, satisfaction", Graham Hill was quoted as saying "personally, I get my satisfaction from the action".
    I was just a young man with a sheltered upbringing at the time, so of course I didn't understand what he was alluding to.

As for Lexingtons, they had toasted tobacco and were a great smoke. Several of my friends and I puffed away on them with much enthusiasm and were disappointed when they disappeared off the market after a very short lifespan. I had to go back to Peter Stuyvesants (The International passport to smoking pleasure) and I don't know what Graham Hill had to say about them.

David Hunter