Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Last edited by Gearbox Grinder; 05-08-2015 at 03:18 AM.

I was born in Putaruru,so Roly Levis was the local hero.

World Champion
    Grinder,
    Your photos bring back so many memories to me of going to Pukekohe in 1967 and 1968.
    The photos display how relaxed everyone was and how easy it was to get next to the cars and drivers.
    The drivers I notice are; Denis Hulme, Richard Attwood, Pedro Rodriguez, Frank Gardner,
    Bruce McLaren in a BRM, Roly Levis, Graeme Lawrence and sadly the last time we would see the great Jim Clark.

Great stuff Grinder. Thank you.

(Ken Hyndman )

Beaut photos Grinder

Thank you Grinder so cool

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Grinder,
    Your photos bring back so many memories to me of going to Pukekohe in 1967 and 1968.
    The photos display how relaxed everyone was and how easy it was to get next to the cars and drivers.
    The drivers I notice are; Denis Hulme, Richard Attwood, Pedro Rodriguez, Frank Gardner,
    Bruce McLaren in a BRM, Roly Levis, Graeme Lawrence and sadly the last time we would see the great Jim Clark.

Great stuff Grinder. Thank you.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Hey Guys, Ken Grinder and others, there would be many of us on TRS, including me that were there in '67-68 and on from there.
    didn't start going to Pukekohe 'til 66 on a regular basis, 65, still at school, then working and a mate had a car so game on.
    Great photos. thanks

David Oxton in the Lexington jacket walking towards Denny.

World Champion
    After seeing the wonderful photos taken by Grinder's father, I found that I had the programme from that day in 1964, when Bruce McLaren held off Denis Hulme after Jack Brabham had crashed out of the race at the Elbow Corner as we watched from the overlooking hill and Bruce became the first New Zealander to win their own Grand Prix. Jan. 11.1964.

Name:  Pukekohe 1964.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  147.6 KB

(Brief YouTube video of the event)

( Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    For the 1964 Tasman series, Bruce McLaren had developed a special Cooper known as the T70. As you can see by Gearbox Grinder's and other photos it was really a "low line " version compared to other race cars at that time. Bruce also had a young talented driver join him for the series , named Timmy Mayer. Timmy was managed by his brother Teddy Mayer who would remain with the McLaren Team for many years. Bruce had to put some test miles on the brand new car which had just been completed before they were shipped out to NZ for the first race at Levin. When they arrived Bruce used the oval part of the Western Springs track running in the clockwise direction on the banking for his testing !

Name:  Western Springs testing.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  135.3 KB
    (McLaren Trust photo)

Name:  Tim Mayer.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  181.5 KB

(From 1964 Pukekohe NZGP programme )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Cooper T70 looks like it has been beautifully restored and you can read more about it at this site.

http://thejudge13.com/2014/12/15/f1-...he-cooper-t70/

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    January 11 th 1964.Pukekohe. NZGP.
    I remember watching the race from the hill overlooking the Elbow Corner. About 1/2 way through the race there was a loud bang to the right and Jack Brabham's car hurtled past, luckily just missing the end of the stable, after tangling with Tony Shelly's Lotus. Jack was lucky to escape uninjured and parts of his car were lying around the track. Bruce was ahead of him at the time and the next lap he slowed down to check on Jack and then as he sped away he gave the "reverse Winston Churchill" V sign back at Jack as the crowd cheered. Bruce went on to a memorable win.
    That is my distant memory of that race.

Name:  1964 NZGP_NEW.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  134.8 KB

( K. Hyndman's "Box Brownie" photo of the first lap of 1964 NZGP as the field enters the Elbow Corner led by Timmy Mayer )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-16-2015 at 01:41 PM.

World Champion
    Teddy Mayer.
    After his brother Timmy died at Longford in 1964, Teddy Mayer, perhaps as a way to handle his grief, gave up his career as a lawyer in the States and came aboard with McLaren to provide much needed finance sources and manage the business side for Bruce. They teamed well together. They paid their top 2 mechanics 30 pounds a week which was a very good amount at that time ! The only sponsorship was from oil & tyre companies back then. Teddy and the others bravely carried on after Bruce died in 1970 and a lot of that credit must go to Mayer who kept the McLaren name through all the turmoil. (Imagine Lotus without Chapman or Tyrrell without Ken Tyrrell ). Teddy was also skilled at getting sponsorship e.g Yardley, Texaco, Gulf, Reynolds, Chesterfield, Marlboro etc. He may not have been the most popular" cat on the block" but he was the manager that kept the McLaren Team near the top.
    I happened to see the team at the 1973 British Grand Prix (Silverstone )where they put 3 team cars on the first 3 rows of the grid which I do not think has been done before or since. Teddy, as manager, was even helping with the refueling of Peter Revson's M23 during practice. Imagine a manager doing that today ! But he also was shrewdly eying the opposition as you can see him looking at Emerson Fittipaldi and thinking I sure would like to have him on my team. Within a short period, Emerson had signed with McLaren away from Lotus for the 1974 season.
    (Here are 2 of my photos of Teddy Mayer (in the red shirt, in action, Silverstone, July 1973 )

Name:  Teddy Mayer_NEW.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  166.9 KB

Name:  Teddy Mayer_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  183.1 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-17-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Thank you Ken , amazing how many photos must be lurking around out there , keep them rolling brother .........

World Champion
    Back to Jan 11 1964. Pukekohe.
    At the Grand Prix meets we were always treated to excellent motor cycle racing as can be seen from this field.

Name:  64  TT.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  64  Senior TT.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  183.6 KB

(Again note the prize money ..or lack of !)

(Ken Hyndman ..programme )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-18-2015 at 10:14 PM.

World Champion
    1964 NZGP. Pukekohe.
    Small saloon car field up to 1.6 Litre.

Attachment 29161

(Hyndman programme )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-18-2015 at 10:41 PM. Reason: *

World Champion
    Name:  1964 Open Saloon. NZGP.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  165.9 KBName:  1964 Saloons up to 1.6 L.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  166.3 KB1964 NZGP. Jan. 1964.
    Later the big boys came out for the open saloon car race. (Grant, I see Ernie was in a Zephyr # 113 next to our Morrinsville man, Spinner Black in # 114 ..perhaps we came close to meeting up that day when we went to see Spin ) (Or was that back when we did not associate with folks from the SI and it was only the power cable that stopped you guys from sinking ! LOL )
    There were not many US powered vehicles back then. Some well known names in this field, including McRae in a Humber !

Attachment 29162

( Ken Hyndman..programme )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-18-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: *

puke

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Name:  1964 Open Saloon. NZGP.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  165.9 KBName:  1964 Saloons up to 1.6 L.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  166.3 KB1964 NZGP. Jan. 1964.
    Later the big boys came out for the open saloon car race. (Grant, I see Ernie was in a Zephyr # 113 next to our Morrinsville man, Spinner Black in # 114 ..perhaps we came close to meeting up that day when we went to see Spin ) (Or was that back when we did not associate with folks from the SI and it was only the power cable that stopped you guys from sinking ! LOL )
    There were not many US powered vehicles back then. Some well known names in this field, including McRae in a Humber !

Attachment 29162

( Ken Hyndman..programme )
    Hi Ken , yes there was always a strong rivalry between north & south , I guess that added to the fun ... a bit like aussie & nz........ hey I had never seen this puke saloon program before very interesting to still see the names carried on over the years, Ken yes we would have rubber sholders I was there at opening year, with Molly & Ernie ..well I think that was the year, Dad drove the mk3 up a bit of a road trip , didn't matter where we stopped people drawled over the green mk 3 I still remember Mum saying " gee I feel like we are monkeys in a cage"......on the way back south after the racing was over , Dad was being chased by a cop he did a quick exit [hard left] into a cockies paddock & ripped the sump over a cattle stop , Doc Langley must have been down that way & was repaired & way we went back to Timaru........... hey ummm thought B McLaren was in that race ???in mine cooper, might have been year after ??..ps [attcmt] did not come through.... ok mate talk soon all the best Grant

Bruce McLaren was there in 1963. Ken's programme is from 1964.

World Champion
    Pukekohe, Jan. 1964.
    They had the race for NZ drivers only, although some of the top drivers e.g. Tony Shelly, Jim Palmer were saving up for the main race later. Roly Levis competed in both events, was he the winner of this race ?
    I would like to see some pics of some of these cars, such as ; Jim Boyd's Valour, Jamie Aislabie's A.R.T. Special, Garth Taylor's Dynafour and R.Alder with a 500 cc T.S.R. ?

Name:  64 NZ Driver only..jpg
Views: 880
Size:  180.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Pukekohe. 1964.
    The race before the start of the NZGP was the "Auckland Star" Sports Car Trophy Race. I think this is one of the first time in years that the Lycoming Special was not entered in the Grand Prix. What an amazing piece of Kiwi ingenuity.

Name:  64 Sports car race.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  178.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman..programme )