Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

World Champion
    On the back page of the 1964 NZGP programme was this advertising.
    ( Note the prices )

Remember this ; On Monday 10 July 1967 ("Decimal Currency Day"), the New Zealand dollar was introduced to replace the pound at a rate of two dollars to one pound (one dollar to ten shillings, ten cents to one shilling, 5⁄6 cent to a penny).

Name:  1964 TR 4.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  171.6 KB

__________________________________________________________________________________

Roger, They should have used you in the Triumph ad when the TR 4 A came out ! Great photo.

Name:  TR 4 A..being driven as it should..Go Roger.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  120.0 KB

Roger Dowding driving his Triumph TR 4 A at the limit !

(p.s. Thanks for your comments )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-20-2015 at 07:08 PM.

World Champion
    How the Pukekohe Track looked in 1964.

Name:  Pukekohe in 1964.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  118.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman .. 1964 programme has now come to an end. The next one I have is 1969. Shall I continue ? )

Shall you continue?
    Is the Pope a Catholic? Do fish swim in the sea?

ha ha .........Ken do u have program 1963.........does a beer sh.t in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    ha ha .........Ken do u have program 1963.........does a beer sh.t in the woods
    The Bear is flat !!, the beer is DB or Lion Red; Auckland , unless you live in Wellington ; Redband, Christchurch ; wtf, Hastings ; Leopard, Dunedin, Speights, Wairarapa ; Tui. Hamilton; Waikato. West Coast ; Monteiths..

GS, KH, seems to have everything, taken from Kiwitahi, to the US of A, we are so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    How the Pukekohe Track looked in 1964.

Name:  Pukekohe in 1964.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  118.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman .. 1964 programme has now come to an end. The next one I have is 1969. Shall I continue ? )
    and a car from the previous Post..

Name:  TR at Pukekohe Sprints 1980 21-02-2015 09;42;39AM.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  80.3 KB

( Note the prices )

Remember this ; On Monday 10 July 1967 ("Decimal Currency Day"), the New Zealand dollar was introduced to replace the pound at a rate of two dollars to one pound (one dollar to ten shillings, ten cents to one shilling, 5⁄6 cent to a penny).

__________________________________________________________________________________

Roger, They should have used you in the Triumph ad when the TR 4 A came out ! Great photo.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, thanks for your comment, that photo, your version of it looks better than the one I have, can you sort them out, I just scan and attach.

World Champion
    Roger,
    I will give it a try.

Name:  Roger Dowding. 1980. TR 4 A. Pukekohe. # 1.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  37.0 KB

Roger Dowding on the grid in his Triumph TR4 A. Pukekohe. 1980

Name:  Roger Dowding. TR 4 A. 1980.. # 2.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  42.1 KB
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-21-2015 at 08:45 AM.

( Note the prices )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Name:  TR4A  at MG Car Club Hillclimb, 1979 my copy.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  160.0 KB

My copy of a print of the photo,

where did you get yours, your photo ??

Roger,
    I will give it a try.

Name:  Roger Dowding. 1980. TR 4 A. Pukekohe. # 1.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  37.0 KB

Roger Dowding on the grid in his Triumph TR4 A. Pukekohe. 1980

Name:  Roger Dowding. TR 4 A. 1980.. # 2.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  42.1 KB
    Ken, your a champion, the guy I am looking at was the President of the NZ TR Register, forgotten the name. the TR did a lot of sprints Hillclimbs in 1978 - 80, before i was involved in an accident, had just got some " mudgrip tyres " for the metal hillclimbs for the 80/81 season and went for a drive, going up Mount Atkinson, in Titirangi, Auckland quite slowly and a younger guy in a Cortina was on the downhill run, saw me hit the brakes and, of course lost all steering, So, into the right front of the TR.. no more racing for a while.
    Had the car rebuilt, and was sold to help buy a house, the buyer was a Charles Matschek, from Portland Oregon, who lived in NZ with his Kiwi wife, well he went racing in it, Wings and Wheels at Whenuapai, Pukekohe Classics, and others fitted Dell'Ortos in place of the SU's which I had. last heard of in around 2006 the car was in Christchurch, unregistered under the licence plate DF4958.
    If anybody knows where it is now, would love to find out.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-21-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: cannot type

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Ken, your a champion, the guy I am looking at was the President of the NZ TR Register, forgotten the name. the TR did a lot of sprints Hillclimbs in 1978 - 80, before i was involved in an accident, had just got some " mudgrip tyres " for the metal hillclimbs for the 80/81 season and went for a drive, going up Mount Atkinson, in Titirangi, Auckland quite slowly and a younger guy in a Cortina was on the downhill run, saw me hit the brakes and, of course lost all steering, So, into the right front of the TR.. no more racing for a while.
    Had the car rebuilt, and was sold to help buy a house, the buyer was a Charles Matschek, from Portland Oregon, who lived in NZ with his Kiwi wife, well he went racing in it, Wings and Wheels at Whenuapai, Pukekohe Classics, and others fitted Dell'Ortos in place of the SU's which I had. last heard of in around 2006 the car was in Christchurch, unregistered under the licence plate DF4958.
    If anybody knows where it is now, would love to find out.
    Name:  Dowding-TR4A-Bright-Rd-1979 (500x356).jpg
Views: 935
Size:  69.3 KB

Here is the car at Bright Road 1979 Bardahl Series . again Ross Cammick photo.

John Hatton, raced a Ford Zepthyr at Pukekohe in the Auckland Car Club Autumn meeting 4th April 1964, had the program to be given away.
    It is now in my hands along with a MotorAction 19th April 1974, and the Auckland Car Club 75th Anniversary Book 1932 - 2007.
    with many contributions from Ross Cammick, Kevin Lancaster and Milan Fistonic.
    Thanks to John,and will scan and post some information from them when I return to Queensland

Hi Roger. Love the sideways photos of your blue Triumph. Pleased those books went to a good home. Take care..

World Champion
    Towards the end of 1964 McLaren built the first M1 sports car and painted it in NZ colours of Black & Silver. I think I spent the rest of my high school days trying to draw sports car pictures.( it was a beautiful machine built in mediocre shop conditions that we would just shake our heads and wonder how did he do that ! )I even offered free art to any girl that would help me with my homework ! My teachers got sick of opening my school books to see this stuff ! I thought I could be a car designer without being any good at math. I even wrote to the GM design school in Detroit. (Never heard back ! ) I thought if McLaren could do it then I could dream of building my own" Apollo" sports car.

Hyndman's dreaming and sketching from the 1960,s.

Name:  Sketches_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  157.1 KB

After a day at Pukekohe. 1966.

Name:  Sketches_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  155.9 KB

Detroit, please let me in !

Name:  Sketches_NEW.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  171.5 KB

(My "Apollo GT"..the fastest road car in the world. (1967)

(Ken Hyndman.. the ultimate dreamer !)

Name:  1965 NZGP.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  174.8 KB

The McLaren M1 _Oldsmobile that was my dream car.

Name:  brucemclareninm1aonpreg.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  76.1 KB
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-31-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: *

Towards the end of 1964 McLaren built the first M1 sports car and painted it in NZ colours of Black & Silver. I think I spent the rest of my high school days trying to draw sports car pictures.( it was a beautiful machine built in mediocre shop conditions that we would just shake our heads and wonder how did he do that ! )I even offered free art to any girl that would help me with my homework ! My teachers got sick of opening my school books to see this stuff ! I thought I could be a car designer without being any good at math. I even wrote to the GM design school in Detroit. (Never heard back ! ) I thought if McLaren could do it then I could dream of building my own" Apollo" sports car.

Hyndman's dreaming and sketching from the 1960,s.

Name:  Sketches_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  157.1 KB

After a day at Pukekohe. 1966.

Name:  Sketches_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  155.9 KB

Detroit, please let me in !

Views: 859
Size:  171.5 KB

(My "Apollo"..the fastest road car in the world. (1967)

(Ken Hyndman.. the ultimate dreamer !)

Name:  1965 NZGP.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  174.8 KB

The McLaren M1 _Oldsmobile that was my dream car.

Name:  brucemclareninm1aonpreg.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  76.1 KB
    Wasn't that originally Roger Penske's Zerex Special with a 2.7 litre Climax Motor, ??

Ken, was the convertible a front or mid-engine?

World Champion
    Roger,
    The Zerex Special became the Cooper-Oldsmobile 3.5 litre.
    The McLaren - Oldsmobile Mark 1 was introduced in September 1964 and had a Traco built 4.5 litre V8 in it.

( Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Michael,
    I had it as a rear engine with a front radiator and a backup air cooled system for any emergency if a hose blew.
    Also had a detached hardtop that incorporated a roof spoiler as I thought the down force would be better in front of the rear axle so it would handle better at high speed and not be too light in the front. Made it look like a shark fin from the side but you could drive to the track in a convertible and then install the roll bar and the roof and away you go. Remember this was me doodling in school books 50 years ago ! 1965. (Please do not laugh )

Views: 752
Size:  175.6 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 06-01-2015 at 06:05 AM. Reason: *

The supporting races had some well known names in them as you will note in these race events. January. 1960.
    First for the saloon cars.

Attachment 28142

Attachment 28143

Excuse my ignorance, but what was a De Joux ? ( I have since found what the De Joux was. )
    Was this the converted 1951 Ferrari 375 that was built into a sedan by DeJoux and then later
    converted back into a single seater and then owned by Bernie Ecclestone ?
    Or did he race his Holden Special in this race ?

(Ken Hyndman )

Name:  riley 001 (5).jpg
Views: 721
Size:  141.4 KB

In 1977 I bought this 1948 Riley RMB for a restoration project. Cost me $600 and other than a couple of small dents and a bit of rotten wood framing it was in pretty good order. However other activities took precedent and in 1985 I got sick of it taking up garage space and started thinking about getting rid of it.
    At around the same time up north of Auckland, a bloke named Jim Welch had returned to NZ after many years living overseas and wrote an article for the NZ Riley Club magazine reminiscing about racing the Riley he owned from 1955 to 1960, finishing by saying that if the car still existed he would dearly like to have it back.
    Well, it did and I owned it. Long story short, Jim tracked the car and me to Masterton where we living at the time, did a deal over the phone, came down to collect it and the last I saw of it was on an A frame going out our drive. That was after Jim told me he was going to restore it to take out the concours at the 1986 Riley national convention.
    He also told me about racing it at the Grand Prix meetings, at Ohakea and other venues. So, looking at the above, No 108 J. Welch would be him. He raced in good company - Bruce McLaren, Red Dawson, John Riley etc. I never knew the car had such good credentials.

David Hunter

I'm referring to attachment 28143 - Saloon Car Handicap over 1500cc.

David

Ken I am not laughing , most of us boys did this at school , I use to draw up F1! suspensions etc...plus the chassis.. I have them still , if I can get [ask ] Mike to put up here I will show you, my prob was I could not draw like you I was not arty enough.. so mainly straight lines with ruler...... my 3 daughters &wife can draw art very good at this type of thing , ok touch base later..... take care mate Grant