Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Ken, Allen Dick did an article a yr or two ago re that accident...it was not very welcomed by Gretta Hulme the way it was printed as Dennis could not voice his side of the story.... Roly did tell me about this but will say no more on that .. but think it was sorted ........ Laurence even to this day struggles with this , he lives in the south island & is pretty big into art.....a really humble man .....

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    On the back page of the 1964 NZGP programme was this advertising.
    ( Note the prices )

Remember this ; On Monday 10 July 1967 ("Decimal Currency Day"), the New Zealand dollar was introduced to replace the pound at a rate of two dollars to one pound (one dollar to ten shillings, ten cents to one shilling, 5⁄6 cent to a penny).

Attachment 29218

__________________________________________________________________________________

Roger, They should have used you in the Triumph ad when the TR 4 A came out ! Great photo.

Attachment 29225

Roger Dowding driving his Triumph TR 4 A at the limit !

(p.s. Thanks for your comments )

(Ken Hyndman )
    The TR4A, some notes should have been from the attached Manual to improve performance - a British Leyland production as is a reprint from 1977, Original issued in 1965.

Name:  TR-4-4A competition Manual 1965  front # 4. CCI20072015 (331x500) (2).jpg
Views: 943
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  Tr-4-4A competition Manual  details page #2, CCI20072015 (2) (366x500).jpg
Views: 991
Size:  49.4 KB

Auckland Car Club, established in 1932, celebrated its 75th Anniversary in 2007 with a very good Special Issue magazine. In 1972 they published a bigger edition of their Bulletin - December issue to celebrate 40 years. Have copies of both [ 75th Thanks to John H of TRS ] and this one the 40th, which I got at the time .

Name:  Auckland Car Club 40th Anniversary book 1972 CCI20072015 (329x500).jpg
Views: 965
Size:  97.4 KB

World Champion
    Roger,
    I found this Triumph ad in the 1965 Wills Six Hour race programme and thought you may be interested.
    (note the prices in Sterling Funds !)
    That must have made it hard for an average income earner to get a new car. I think my Dad would put away overseas funds when the wool sold from the farm and then spend it on quarry equipment much to Mum's disgust / disappointment !

Name:  1965 Triumph Ads_NEW.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  181.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

Roger,
    I found this Triumph ad in the 1965 Wills Six Hour race programme and thought you may be interested.
    (note the prices in Sterling Funds !)
    That must have made it hard for an average income earner to get a new car. I think my Dad would put away overseas funds when the wool sold from the farm and then spend it on quarry equipment much to Mum's disgust / disappointment !

Name:  1965 Triumph Ads_NEW.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  181.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, thanks.
    Interesting about the Overseas Funds, remember the first " New Car " my father got a 1963 Ford Zephyr 6, he got because the company he worked for " Briscoe and Company " the original Briscoes, Importers and Ironmongers had ordered the car for a Sale rep and then didn't need it, so was offerd to Mac Dowding at a fair price. the note at the bottom right of the ad. Sterling Funds from Pounds 711 ..
    My TR4A was 10 years old when I bought it from Russ Abbott, Empire Motors, who was a force in Triumph Car Club, ran a Dolomite in Heatway and other Rallies and Race meetings - the TR4A was complete, mechanically sound but had a tough life, competed in it for nearly three years - early 1978 -79 - 80, Was getting it ready for 1980/81 season when had a road accident and it was off the road for over 3 years, rebuilt then sold to help buy a house [ wrong priority in hindsight ], as once rebuilt a very nice car - had a 53 Healey 100, very scruffy should have sold that !!

Thanks for the dig in the ribs Roger, I had all three of those annuals. Do you remember the Motorsport 66 annual had the cover photo printed in reverse ? See the Zephyr Corvette has the wheel on the wrong side...
    Bloody trainspotters...
    Name:  motorsport 66.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  91.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Thanks for the dig in the ribs Roger, I had all three of those annuals. Do you remember the Motorsport 66 annual had the cover photo printed in reverse ? See the Zephyr Corvette has the wheel on the wrong side...
    Bloody trainspotters...
    Name:  motorsport 66.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  91.0 KB
    GD66, no dig intended and I think I had forgotten that - Rod Coppins still drove it well, whichever side the wheel was on.
    according to some inside shots this is when the fuel injection was fitted and had the chrome scoop on the bonnet. amused me that the exhaust pipes were not all the same length ..maybe they ran out of chrome tubing .. look at the drivers side 3 long, one short, other side 4 long ..
    Trainspotting indeed..

Pukekohe. 1968 NZGP.Towards the end of the GP there was a tremendous crash between Denis Hulme and Laurence Brownlie in their Brabhams. They were both lucky to survive but Laurence suffered serious ankle injuries.

Sorry, I can't recall where this pic turned up from but it must be only a couple of seconds before that crash, Denny is already looking at Brownlie and seemingly closing from behind. There was a lot of conjecture about the crash and not much favourable comment but while Allan Dick may not mince his words he is also not a bullshitter so he wouldn't have printed anything too distorted in my opinion.
    Name:  Hulme Brownlie.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  Pukekohe Race action - accidents  CCI20072015 (3) (376x640).jpg
Views: 989
Size:  153.9 KB

GD66, article from the " 30 years of Grand Prix Racing, again ..
    Have read a few comments [ this one is non-committal for either driver ]

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Sorry, I can't recall where this pic turned up from but it must be only a couple of seconds before that crash, Denny is already looking at Brownlie and seemingly closing from behind. There was a lot of conjecture about the crash and not much favourable comment but while Allan Dick may not mince his words he is also not a bullshitter so he wouldn't have printed anything too distorted in my opinion.
    Name:  Hulme Brownlie.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  60.0 KB
    Hi. I was on the railway at this moment. Hulme had shaken his fist coming past the pits (yes it could be seen from where we were) and just prior to this photo had just thumped Brownlie with his left front wheel quite hard. At this very point both cars were quite unsettled and then shot on down the straight to tangle further on with body panels, wheels and dirt flying high in the air.

Yikes, that's hairy stuff, John. And clearly etched in your mind ! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Name:  Pukekohe Race action - accidents  CCI20072015 (3) (376x640).jpg
Views: 989
Size:  153.9 KB

GD66, article from the " 30 years of Grand Prix Racing, again ..
    Have read a few comments [ this one is non-committal for either driver ]
    Ken Wharton was killed during the 1957 sports car race at Ardmore, due to stupid officials not heading and accepting the advice of drivers. I attended the briefing.

It was ruled that slower cars of limited performance should move to the right and allow faster cars room to pass on the left.

Wharton a top of the line international driver, as a matter of habit set up a normal passing move after exiting a corner, only to have a slower car, correctly obeying the stupid rule, move over and obstruct him to the extent that he ran out of room. An absolute needles disaster.

Wharton was a real driver in every sense of the word and better than many who gained greater fame. I remember seeing his right shoe, which had been found in the Monza Ferrari by the subsequent owner and hung in his garage. It was a perfectly normal piece of everyday footwear and during modern times I find this specially significant.

Trevor.

Remember reading the paper when it happened, was too young to go to Ardmore, but believe my Father Mac and Eddie Dowding his brother were there. very sad.
    Trevor here is something taken a bit later which you will remember, Pukekohe NSCC meeting 1964.

Name:  Motor racing Pukekohe 1964 Trevor Sheffield Daimler SP250 # 3. 25CCI21072015 (3) (382x500).jpg
Views: 929
Size:  114.6 KB

source ; 30 years of Grand Prix Racing - NZIGP ; caption says ;
    " Classic battle between the three Daimler SP250 Darts of Trevor Sheffield, Bob Wilkin and David Oxton in March 1964 "
    - Northern Sports Car Club national meeting.

World Champion
    Pukekohe. NZGP. 1968. Start grid.

Attachment 29657

Who is the driver / person standing behind Laurence Brownlee with the brown cap on ?

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-21-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: *

World Champion
    I have reached my last old programme so I hope you can put up with me for just a little bit longer.
    The 16th NZGP was held at Pukekohe Jan 4 1969. It was the last time the F1 teams would come out to compete in the Tasman Series.
    Graham Hill was the reigning F1 World Champion in January 1969 but it would not be a good year for Graham. He did not win any Tasman races and he crashed heavily in Spain which ended the high rear wing era in race cars and then crashed badly later at Watkins Glen breaking both legs but bravely came back for the 1970 season.

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_NEW.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  175.3 KB

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_0003_NEW.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  183.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think the guy in brown cap, blue short sleeve shirt might be John Reid. Laurence is seated in the car ( white overalls-face mask ). Sorry cannot help with the two crouched either side or the chap with light blue race overalls standing alongside. Might be Allan McCully crouched on RH of car, but that's a guess. Donald McDonald might be more help if he still frequents this forum...
    Pukekohe. NZGP. 1968. Start grid.

Attachment 29657

Who is the driver / person standing behind Laurence Brownlee with the brown cap on ?

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Jan. 4. 1969.NZGP. Pukekohe.
    Graham Hill drove a Lotus 49 B R 8. It was brand new for Pukekohe and featured the high rear wing which was banned after the 1969
    Spanish Grand Prix at Montjuich Park in Barcelona. I drove that circuit a few years ago in a Ford Fiesta rental car and it was scary even in that, with the stone walls, curbs, change in elevation and hairpins etc. They were certainly brave drivers to race there and the stress on the rear wings was too much for these Lotus 49 Bs and Hill and Rindt were lucky to survive those crashes which are shown on Youtube. These crashes were on May 4th exactly 5 months after the Pukekohe NZGP. Jochen Rindt's Lotus 49 B R 9 that was written off at Barcelona was the same car he raced NZ.
    This fine Terry Marshall photo shows Rindt powering out of the Hairpin.
    Name:  Pukekohe 1969_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  173.5 KB

I took this photo of Hill's car in the pit area and you can see how the rear wing struts were mounted to the upper suspension.

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_Graham Hill Lotus 49B.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  179.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman..1969 Pukekohe photo )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-23-2015 at 07:16 PM.

World Champion
    Here is a recent entry from "Bonhams" regarding the Graham Hill Lotus 49B-R8 that first raced at Pukekohe Jan. 4th 1969.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21906/lot/342/

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Pukekohe. Jan. 1969 NZGP meet.
    One of the first races was for up to 1000 cc class. (Some well known names here )

Name:  up to 1000 cc. race 1969 NZGP meet..jpg
Views: 734
Size:  181.4 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-23-2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: *

World Champion
    1969 NZGP meet.
    Another class field of well known drivers. 1001 c.c. to 1300 c.c. Saloon car race.

Name:  1001-1300 cc race. 1969 NZGP meet.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  182.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-23-2015 at 07:43 PM.