Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Scott Thomson also put out a book on the Waimate races.

Name:  Waimate Book.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  43.4 KB

Milan, would certainly like to get hold of that. have read bits about Waimate, but never went there - too far away from Auckland and that bit of water in between the islands made it expensive too !!.

Posting these here as unsure which thread would be right. the Quickfire Club Circuit meeting Sept 1968 - as I have found out from the back of a photo. the meeting was on TV [ one in those days as not other channel and B and W too !!
    Single seaters on the dummy grid

Name:  Pukekohe Club circuit meeting 67-68  #3, single seater dummy grid   CCI30082015 (3) (800x552).jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  144.4 KB
    notes on the back say U@ Ford #4, Brabham -Fiat #61, Formula Vee #3, with Mini Special alongside, anoth F-Vee behind.

Name:  Pukekohe Club Circuit meeting 67-68 single seaters dummy grid. CCI30082015 (3).jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  171.3 KB
    Formula Vees - #3, at back..

next one posted on the Mini's and Imps page but from the same day.

Name:  Pukekohe Club Circuit meeting 67-68 Min vs Mustang #2, CCI30082015 (2).jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  174.8 KB

That Mini-Ford - Lotus Twincam motor.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Barney Pellow in the Brabham, ? in the U2 (fairly distinctive alloy wheels should identify it), the "Mini special" is an MER-possibly Doug Cross? The F Vee behind the MER (and in the large photo) looks very much like a McQueen Vee (Auckland built car based closely on an Australian "Elfin" design).

The U2 looks like the one my mate raced in the mid-sixties. He sold it to Graeme Morley. It was built by Graham McRae and was unusual in that it had independent rear suspension.

Edit: Morley is listed as competing at the Club Circuit on August 18 1968 so it must be his car.
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 08-30-2015 at 08:08 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The McRae u2 is currently owned and raced by Alan Service and still has the same alloy wheels as in the photo above.

Apologies for the typos on the photos U2 not U@, etc.. the photo of the F-Vee no number is me kneeling down looking at the gearbox, and my two mates Roger Allport [ back on ] and Ron Lucca [ side on ] so assume that Steve Fowler took the photo..

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    The McRae u2 is currently owned and raced by Alan Service and still has the same alloy wheels as in the photo above.
    That's right, but it's lost the IRS.

The FV was used in McQeen's adverts for the car.

Name:  McQueen FV.JPG
Views: 1016
Size:  42.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    That's right, but it's lost the IRS.
    that would be a step backwards then

AHH memories,Minimax on back of grid with Ken Flashman in the ex Peter Bruin Cooper Vincent.The U2 drivers name escapes me but will come when the brain electrodes join up!! [These comments relate to the dummy grid photo.] Have actually seen an 8mm film of this race,film exists in Australia with Doug Wentworth.

Just read other posts,Yes Graeme Morley ,should read before i type,did not realise i raced against it again when i had the Humber 80 Special.!
    Last edited by Ross Hollings; 08-30-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    that would be a step backwards then
    Perhaps not as it has now won the Historic Sports car class a few times!

Name:  Austin 7 Tourer - modified by Ed and Mac Dowding pre-war 1938 resize #2 !!CCI08072015 (902x1280).jpg
Views: 916
Size:  99.9 KB

Does anyone want more Vintage photo's .. Ken will be happy, have a few shots !!.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    AHH memories,Minimax on back of grid with Ken Flashman in the ex Peter Bruin Cooper Vincent.The U2 drivers name escapes me but will come when the brain electrodes join up!! [These comments relate to the dummy grid photo.] Have actually seen an 8mm film of this race,film exists in Australia with Doug Wentworth.

Just read other posts,Yes Graeme Morley ,should read before i type,did not realise i raced against it again when i had the Humber 80 Special.!
    Ken Flashman comes to my mind, and Peter Bruin, ..there was a short sprint at Te Atatu, down the Industrial road to the now waste station, Well around 78-80, they had a sprint and Peter Bruin, had a replica Lotus Eleven, and lots of other cars, no photo's .. sorry.

Photo posted on Facebook on the New Zealand Rallying History page by Edward Porter - from his fathers collection of photos, have suggested Edward join TRS.
    here is a photo of Pat Hoare in his Ferrari at Clelands Rd Hillclimb Timaru. late 50's early 60's. Hopefully there will be more.

Name:  Pat Hoare Ferrari Clelands Hill Timaru #2,  late 50's early 60's Edward Porter  photo. (2).jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  115.2 KB

Great piece on Peter Gethin just before the Italian GP live on Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Photo posted on Facebook on the New Zealand Rallying History page by Edward Porter - from his fathers collection of photos, have suggested Edward join TRS.
    here is a photo of Pat Hoare in his Ferrari at Clelands Rd Hillclimb Timaru. late 50's early 60's. Hopefully there will be more.

Name:  Pat Hoare Ferrari Clelands Hill Timaru #2,  late 50's early 60's Edward Porter  photo. (2).jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  115.2 KB
    Wow, what a photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Name:  Austin 7 Tourer - modified by Ed and Mac Dowding pre-war 1938 resize #2 !!CCI08072015 (902x1280).jpg
Views: 916
Size:  99.9 KB

Does anyone want more Vintage photo's .. Ken will be happy, have a few shots !!.
    Yes please.

World Champion
    Steve,
    I have programmes /( programs) and photos from some races here in California at Long Beach and Laguna Seca 1975 - 1989.
    Is this a suitable forum for them ? Is there any interest in NZ for this era ? Should I plug away at this site or start a whole new thread ?
    I await any replies. (Any ones input is appreciated )
    Thanks.

(Ken Hyndman )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Steve,
    I have programmes /( programs) and photos from some races here in California at Long Beach and Laguna Seca 1975 - 1989.
    Is this a suitable forum for them ? Is there any interest in NZ for this era ? Should I plug away at this site or start a whole new thread ?
    I await any replies. (Any ones input is appreciated )
    Thanks.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, I would love them, put them on a new thread and I can add my photos from Laguna Seca and Portland International Raceway in 1982, and I think some more from PIR in 1988, just have to find the latter

cheers, Roger