Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 6

Originally posted by Steve Holmes
    Kicking things off is Bob Jane in his Elfin 400 Repco. Is this the ill-fated car Bevan Gibson was killed in at Bathurst in 1969?

Attachment 27904
    Yes, that is the car Bevan Gibson crashed. The engine, 4.4-litre Repco single cam, went into a Torana a couple of years later, the car was rebuilt and raced by Ken Hastings with, I think, a Ford V8.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ray, look at post #11.
    Dale.

Why do I run into this kind of rubbish?

David McKay, when it was necessary to change it to a 3.3-litre engine, pushed all the local press to refer to the car as a 275LM.

He owned it, didn't he?

And why do you mention this when there's so much really interesting stuff you never knew in that thread?

Originally posted by Dale Harvey
    Ray, look at post #11.
    Yes, Dale, I saw that...

But you did say 'probably' and so I confirmed that you were right. Luckily for us, we were there and saw these things happening. Which some, apparently, don't appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    I see that this forum is no longer a Ray Bell free zone. What a pity!

No sniping, mate.

Originally posted by Terry S
    simply because your reputation precedes you from the Autosport Forum.
    Well, obviously I don't know what that reputation is...

If you have the guts to tell, why not? But tell us your name too, as my name is out in public.

Otherwise my e.mail address is well known if you are prepared to send me a direct message. Or simply apologise.

Ok chaps, as Roger Penske used to say, "the clock goes back to zero at midnight" which means that everything that happened up to midnight, good or bad, is reset and each new day is started over from scratch. Same goes for The Roaring Season. All new members are treated with the same amount of respect, regardless, and their time on this site is determined by their behavior on this site, and not other websites.

So, no more will be said about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Yes, that is the car Bevan Gibson crashed. The engine, 4.4-litre Repco single cam, went into a Torana a couple of years later, the car was rebuilt and raced by Ken Hastings with, I think, a Ford V8.
    Thanks Ray. So the motor from this car is the one that went into Bob's Torana Sports Sedan? Not sure why I never thought to make the connection before. It seems obvious now you point it out.

Semi-Pro Racer
    That car is now restored back to original and in the hands of Bill Hemming of The Elfin Heritage Centre. He drove it this year at Phillip Island.
    Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Not a 908...

It had a 6-cylinder motor and is described as a 'Porsche Spyder 6' in the report.
    The official title, ex factory at least, was 906 Carrera Competition Coupe until "imported to Australia by Alan Hamilton. Hamilton would use the car for road races around Australia but had problems getting into and out of the car. As a result of his tall frame, he would remove the roof turning the car into a spyder. In that form, Hamilton would take the car and would earn the 1967 Australian Championship" (quoted from conceptcarz.com and worth googling to read its subsequent history, including quite some time with Teddy Yip).
    It's back to coupe form these days and has been auctioned by Bonhams a couple of times in the 800K bracket.

from Concept

Steve, the Torana which temporarily housed the Repco V8 was a smart thing, especially when it had the tall wing on the rear...

But faster cars came along and the Frank Gardner period arrived at Bob Jane Racing and Frank oversaw the fitment of a Chev to that car.

Pete Geoghegan's first Mustang, just a few weeks before he sold it to Kiwi driver Rod Coppins.

Name:  Bruce Wells WF Part 6.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  113.8 KB

Bob Jane's '67 Mustang. I dare say he hadn't been racing the car too long at this stage. Bob didn't enjoy the success with this car he had hoped for, and imported one of the Shelby factory '68 Trans-Am Mustangs in late 1968. Meanwhile, the '67 was also raced by John Harvey, before being sold to Chris Brauer, who suffered a career-ending shunt at Lakeside in 1970.

I had always assumed this car no longer existed, having seen images following its Lakeside shunt. But I recently discovered what remains of it is owned by the Bowden family in Queensland. After it was wrecked at Lakeside, it was sold and converted into a speedway car. It has lived a hard life.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  159.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Can anyone ID the driver of this Volvo? Car control is excellent!

Attachment 27913
    Yes - I am the culprit....David Seldon

I think that's Jack Bono in the Elfin...

Neil Revell is behind him in the first shot, Aub Revell joins him in the second.

Thanks for that info Ray, much appreciated.

Frank Matich and the gorgeous Elfin SR3.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  137.9 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Don't you mean Matich SR3 not Elfin SR3 Steve?
    Dale.