Thread: Peter Finch/John Kay Winston Camaro from the 70s

Peter Finch/John Kay Winston Camaro from the 70s

This was a local car from the 70s and I remember watching it as a youth. I have a friend in the UK who manufactures 1/32 scale slotcars. He's a boutique manufacturer and tries to do cars no one else will do. Now the Winston Camaro is as PC incorrect as you can get now days and the perfect Pioneer subject matter. It is slotted down for production in 2016. What I need is photos of the car from as many different angles as possible. The pic below has a logo on the bootlid which I cant make out. Does anyone know what that logo is? More pics would be great as well.

cheers
    Rick

Cool car, and still around to this day I believe, though it now looks very different to the way it appears in your picture.

Is this car still in Melbourne Steve? I think Mick Webb knows the guy who owned it.

World Champion
    Note that 1970s California license plate.
    Here is another TRS photo of the car in action. http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ion-of-classes
    I found this quote from an earlier TRS site; "What happened to the Barry Wearing 67 Z 28SS Camaro, sold in 74-75"
    (
    nick_tassie

08-10-2011, 10:27 PM

I have looked into the Indy Speed Shop Camaro as it looked like a possible connection to Terry's car. Wayne Mahnken who I've also talked with about Terry's Camaro thought at one point it was at the Indy Speed Shop in SA running as a drag car. Check every lead as they say no matter how small. Anyway there were suggestions on various forums that it was imported from the US as a road car by John Kay. I'm getting pretty good at this detective game and managed to contact John's widow, John having passed away a few years ago. Although she wasn't around in the days of the Camaro and couldn't provide any information she did give me the contact details of his Indy Speed Shop business partner, Tony confirmed to me that John did bring that car into Australia and they stripped it out and built up the race car. So that put an end to that possible lead. Tony also said he didn't recall they ever ran a 67 model camaro drag car.

When researching the Indy Speed Shop Camaro most comments indicate it did become the David Jarrett sports sedan, this then went to Bob Middleton who ran it for a number of years before selling it to Chris Templar in Victoria. Thats as far as I went at that point as Tony cut short the lead, so I've never confirmed the Jarrett camaro was indeed the indy Speed Shop car, but its highly likely.)

(Ken Hyndman )

The car did indeed become the David Jarrett car. I have a pic that all but confirms that. It has the same fender flares and even has the same numberplate on the back, just a new paint scheme. Any ideas on what that circular logo on the bootlid might be?

cheers
    rick

The boot lid logo looks very much like a Penrite Oils logo.

http://brakesdirect.com.au/media/wys...te_logo.fw.png
    Last edited by bigbanger; 03-19-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Fabio View Post
    This was a local car from the 70s and I remember watching it as a youth. I have a friend in the UK who manufactures 1/32 scale slotcars. He's a boutique manufacturer and tries to do cars no one else will do. Now the Winston Camaro is as PC incorrect as you can get now days and the perfect Pioneer subject matter. It is slotted down for production in 2016. What I need is photos of the car from as many different angles as possible. The pic below has a logo on the bootlid which I cant make out. Does anyone know what that logo is? More pics would be great as well.

cheers
    Rick

A Perry Drury from Launceston Tas photo....

Jim Smith, later raced Rover
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Rod, thats the ex-Bob Jane ZL1 Camaro. I think Jim Smith raced this after the Rover, as a Sports Sedan. It never really achieved much as a Sports Sedan, as they had all gone to lightweight space-frame cars within a few years with the motor in the middle of the car.

I am pretty sure thats a Perry Drury photo, probably posted here by Ellis French.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Note that 1970s California license plate.
    Here is another TRS photo of the car in action. http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ion-of-classes
    I found this quote from an earlier TRS site; "What happened to the Barry Wearing 67 Z 28SS Camaro, sold in 74-75"
    (
    nick_tassie

08-10-2011, 10:27 PM

I have looked into the Indy Speed Shop Camaro as it looked like a possible connection to Terry's car. Wayne Mahnken who I've also talked with about Terry's Camaro thought at one point it was at the Indy Speed Shop in SA running as a drag car. Check every lead as they say no matter how small. Anyway there were suggestions on various forums that it was imported from the US as a road car by John Kay. I'm getting pretty good at this detective game and managed to contact John's widow, John having passed away a few years ago. Although she wasn't around in the days of the Camaro and couldn't provide any information she did give me the contact details of his Indy Speed Shop business partner, Tony confirmed to me that John did bring that car into Australia and they stripped it out and built up the race car. So that put an end to that possible lead. Tony also said he didn't recall they ever ran a 67 model camaro drag car.

When researching the Indy Speed Shop Camaro most comments indicate it did become the David Jarrett sports sedan, this then went to Bob Middleton who ran it for a number of years before selling it to Chris Templar in Victoria. Thats as far as I went at that point as Tony cut short the lead, so I've never confirmed the Jarrett camaro was indeed the indy Speed Shop car, but its highly likely.)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Great find Ken, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Is this car still in Melbourne Steve? I think Mick Webb knows the guy who owned it.
    I'm not sure which part of the country its in Steve, I remember seeing photos of it posted somewhere with someone saying it was the former Indy Speed Shop car. I was quite shocked by how different it looked. Not sure if it was space-framed at some point, but obviously heavily modified over the years.

Here is one I found of it in recent years.

Name:  11631798733_9ece7795fd.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  167.1 KB

This one I found on Autopics. This is from the early 1980s, when Jarrett had it. You can see even then it had been heavily modified and substantially lowered. Obviously it was converted to rhd at some point too, so maybe it was space-framed.

Name:  81053__68641.1406555984.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  36.6 KB

The logo on the bootlid. Not sure its a Penrite logo, so any other educated guesses?

cheers
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Fabio View Post
    The logo on the bootlid. Not sure its a Penrite logo, so any other educated guesses?

cheers
    rick
    Isn't that where the fuel filler cap is on a standard car?

The standard full filler cap is on the back panel covered by the SS cap. Yes Rhys the option for racing was thru the boot lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Isn't that where the fuel filler cap is on a standard car?

Standard car has the filler cap on the back. Its the circular SS cap in the middle. On T/A cars the option was to have the filler on the bootlid. What Im after however is the logo on the bootlid.

cheers
    rick