Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hampton Downs sold to Tony Quinn

Hampton Downs sold to Tony Quinn

Hampton Downs sold to Tony Quinn ... Check out this link.

looks like he gave them a blank cheque

If the $13.5 million quoted in the above link is correct, then that is a bargain!

So is this the end of Historic Racing as we know it at HD ?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-27-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Not yet a 100% signed sealed and settled deal. Close maybe.

My guess is that little will change in terms of the race programme, as HD is a commercial entity. Highlands park was always set up as a Country Club and is subject to strict usage restrictions that don't apply to HD.

The track extension will add an extra track to the complex as per the original plans, so that will be the current National Track, a Club circuit and the combined International circuit.

Sure, some meetings may be squeezed out in favour of a few high profile events, but the short track will add a few extra dates, so there is every opportunity for more meetings. The Aussie GT's for example, must now be a very strong possibility for HD.

The HRC calendar for the next 18 months has already been issued by HRC/Chris Watson within the last few days, so I would expect 80% of it will not really change.

Weekend Warrior
    I'm lost for words!! LOL but hopefully (like Darrell Lea chocolates) he is not interested in killing the goes that lays the golden eggs? (Easter or otherwise)...

Semi-Pro Racer
    There was an article in the Gold Coast paper shortly after his bid for Taupo was turned down stating that he did not understand the mentality of the motor racing fraternity in NZ as he wanted to help racing grow in NZ not kill it. It carried on to say he had no intention of running Taupo like the track in Cromwell as they were two different demographics and Taupo did not have the same use restrictions imposed by the local council.

He mentioned his long term thoughts on pushing to tighten rules in National classes to prevent the crap that is going on with the 2 different V8 Touring car classes for example. Without this type of change, racing will die at a national level he went on to say.
    I wish I could find the article as he made a lot of sense.

He wanted to promote grass roots right through to National level but was not interested in the Aussie V8 Taxis. Also mentioned the Aussie Racing Cars which he owns being introduced permanently as a class but wasn't there a similar car designed and built in Taupo many years back or did they die.

Either way it may well be what Hampton needed to get over the finish line that was dreamed of when first thought of.

Talk to the guy when you get the opportunity and ask him what his thoughts and plans are long term for the facility. Don't just assume because of Highlands Park.

I ran into him one day at his "Game Over" Amusement facility here on the Gold Coast and for a multi millionaire he is one of the most down to earth straight shooting people I have ever met but be aware that he will say what he thinks and until you think about what he has said and in what context he may put you on your back foot and make you instantly think , "What a Pr#ck!". That is just the man that he is - no malice just facts and figures. His love of motor racing and especially the GT cars is immediately apparent.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Agree with all below, have never attended any meetings at Highland Park, but have heard enough comments from locals who are established in the motorsport scene to get a profile on the guy. The article mentioned in post #1 suggested that track management would stay as is initially. You have to remember that before Highlands there was no motorsport permanent facility in the Central Otago basin, nearest tracks being Teretonga & Levels and to some degree I suspect that is why Highlands is run on the basis it is to cater for those with slightly more up market motoring interests while keeping family members interested with sidelines like go-karts- museum- restaurant- chopper rides- boat trips etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    There was an article in the Gold Coast paper shortly after his bid for Taupo was turned down stating that he did not understand the mentality of the motor racing fraternity in NZ as he wanted to help racing grow in NZ not kill it. It carried on to say he had no intention of running Taupo like the track in Cromwell as they were two different demographics and Taupo did not have the same use restrictions imposed by the local council.

He mentioned his long term thoughts on pushing to tighten rules in National classes to prevent the crap that is going on with the 2 different V8 Touring car classes for example. Without this type of change, racing will die at a national level he went on to say.
    I wish I could find the article as he made a lot of sense.

He wanted to promote grass roots right through to National level but was not interested in the Aussie V8 Taxis. Also mentioned the Aussie Racing Cars which he owns being introduced permanently as a class but wasn't there a similar car designed and built in Taupo many years back or did they die.

Either way it may well be what Hampton needed to get over the finish line that was dreamed of when first thought of.

Talk to the guy when you get the opportunity and ask him what his thoughts and plans are long term for the facility. Don't just assume because of Highlands Park.

I ran into him one day at his "Game Over" Amusement facility here on the Gold Coast and for a multi millionaire he is one of the most down to earth straight shooting people I have ever met but be aware that he will say what he thinks and until you think about what he has said and in what context he may put you on your back foot and make you instantly think , "What a Pr#ck!". That is just the man that he is - no malice just facts and figures. His love of motor racing and especially the GT cars is immediately apparent.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 03-27-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Surely his record at Highlands speaks for itself. There is no other facility in the country that offers the same experience or racing. If that's what we are going to see at Hampton, with the track extenstions completed and other spectator facilities in place, then I can only applaud it.

Thanks too for the guys who got Hampton up and running - the motorsport fraternity needed it to happen because Pukekohe has gone completely in the wrong direction. They have provided an excellent base for what will be a first-rate facility - just a pity the economics were so against them.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Surely his record at Highlands speaks for itself. There is no other facility in the country that offers the same experience or racing. If that's what we are going to see at Hampton, with the track extenstions completed and other spectator facilities in place, then I can only applaud it.

Thanks too for the guys who got Hampton up and running - the motorsport fraternity needed it to happen because Pukekohe has gone completely in the wrong direction. They have provided an excellent base for what will be a first-rate facility - just a pity the economics were so against them.
    Agreed completely Shano. This has to be good for the future of motorsport in NZ. Hopefully Tony can bang some heads together and get some sense from the differing parties. Sport has always done well when it has strong leadership, look at motorsport under Ron Frost and Morrie Chandler. Who can name the current president of MSNZ? Thanks to the guys who got Hampton Downs up and running. Their vision was fantastic, just a pity that fate, Transit and Corrections conspired against them. If this goes ahead Puke is probably history after its contract with the Aussie tow cars finishes.
    Tony Quinn for president of MSNZ!!

Weekend Warrior
    Holey moly! that's quite a positive reaction to young Tony's efforts and good to hear...Quinn for PM?

Velocity may have jumped the gun here - this article on the Otago Daily Times website disputes the sale (well, at this point in time):

http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central...se-park-denied

I LOVE simplicity........ If Tony has made the deal .....that's so cool...it can only get better evolution is the key word ......well done .......

Velocity certainly jumped the gun. At this point in time, nothing is signed, sealed and settled, therefore Tony Quinn has NOT bought HD so the Otago Daily Times is also correct - especially if they are quoting TQ.

However, anyone who has spoken to Tony Roberts or Chris Watson over the last day or two will know the truth.

As regards TQ and Taupo, both he and another interested party walked away from the deal. There are several issues regarding Taupo and also restrictions.

HD already runs between 320 and 340 days a year; has no twilight restrictions; apartment owners trackside who were amongst the first to put their own money into the project, cannot stop the track running through any noise issues, which have blighted other tracks, including Pukekohe. Commercially, the sky is the limit once the place is somewhere near finished.

Talking to a lot of people today the possibility of actually getting the complex finished, the possibility of the Aussie GTs, the planned museum, maybe the kart track, hospitality suites, control tower, short circuit/international circuit etc., received unanimous support.

Of course in the modern world public denials need to be treated cautiously. Where there's smoke there's fire is generally a good guideline. Given a figure ($13.5 Million) was mentioned it sounds like a deal has been agreed in principle with just a few details to be finalised. Tony and Chris have done an awesome job getting HD to where it is from scratch and we can only wonder how much better placed they (and us) might be were it not for what appears were vexatious blocking and showboating by two government agencies. For the facility to be hired out for more than 300 days a year is an absolutely incredible effort and to see millions of taxpayer money pumped into the sinking ship just up the highway is mind numbing.

I doubt Tony Quinn is totally motivated by money in his desire to own NZ motor racing facilities - there are better ways to make financial investments and probably few better ways to turn a large fortune into a small one. Overall I would predict a win-win even if I am a little sad to see Tony R and Chris lose the control of their dream - maybe they are relieved after all the battles they faced with bankers and bureaucracy. Time to give those two guys a big hand and wait cautiously to see if Mr Quinn proves to be a motorsport hero in this venture.

Murray, a great analysis, Tony Quinn is adventurous and to be commended for his passion for motorsport, certainly not a prime investment opportunity as many of us know who have tied their financial futures to racing oriented business in small/tough markets like New Zealand. Tony and Chris have done an amazing feat in keeping HD afloat through adverse financial conditions.

I am sure that, as Tony Roberts is a member of this forum, that when he can comment on this matter, he may do so!

Semi-Pro Racer

I would find it difficult to see why Tony would want to drastically change the commercial model that appears to be working so well at HD. With so many days taken up with paying events why change it.

Tony and Chris are to be given a standing ovation for having the foresight and the guts to drive this circuit to fruition in the face of so much crap from self interested people and the great Kiwi knockers. They have my total admiration for what they have achieved.

I have often stood down at the back of the circuit and looked out at the area of weeds and scrub and wondered if I would ever see the complex and the track in particular completed. The extension will give the complex a truly international circuit and it will be interesting to see what events can be attracted to the facility to make use of them.

Talking to some of the Aussie Trans-Am people in January and from what we see here in NZ the historics are the classes that are attracting the biggest crowds and again taking these from any on-going calendar would seem to be a very retrograde step.

Reading the above articles on Tony Quinn it would seem that he is a motorsport fan first and I am sure that both Tony and Chris (both involved with historics) will be pushing hard for their inclusion in the annual calendars going forward.

The future of motorsport in the upper North Island will certainly be interesting over the next couple of years.