Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Weekend 20 Years Ago, what were you doing???

This Weekend 20 Years Ago, what were you doing???

So there we have it, 20 years have passed with fond memory's by all no doubt. RIP to Baypark(the track), Peter Hanna and Graham Pierce.

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I was probably there. I lived about 10 minutes away from the track and often popped over to see what was happening. Now my nearest track is an hour 50 away - 300km round trip.

Weekend Warrior
    Taking a nervous pee, then getting ready to start a reverse grid race that I'd end up winning at my only time to race there.

First weekend in April 1995, was secretary/timekeeper for the MGCC Otaua Hillclimb...

World Champion
    First National Meeting at Bay Park programme cover. 1967.

Name:  baypark67.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  111.6 KB

Yep remember that weekend as if it was yesterday ........was fun , exciting ,& cold as the party continued late into the night & a little sadness .....we move on ........

I was there. Some awesome racing and a whole lot of burnouts to say goodbye.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraV8 View Post
    I was there. Some awesome racing and a whole lot of burnouts to say goodbye.
    I was there too in my Cooper S which I still own. Started the last race ever at Bay Park in pole position, (reverse grid) and by shamelessly jumping the start lead onto the back straight before getting passed by everyone. I shared my car with Steve O'Donoghue. Saw and had some great racing there. Raced my Fiat 125T in a Glenvale 500. Flipped a FF there at the right hander when it rode over someone elses wheels. My fault. A great series of pictures in Motorman.

Man I miss that circuit, it just had a magical aura to it and I kinda liked running the old sidchrome and the pre65 mustang there being left hook it was good being by the inside of the corner for a change. I can still remember the HQ boys when we camped at the track, man did they party hard and would go till 2 in the morning. It would have been interesting if they had been breathalised before they went out for their race that day. Usually the racing got stopped for a few minutes in the day while the fire crew put out the toitois atop the front straight bleachers to the cheers of the "Fridge Club" lol. Golden days!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Man I miss that circuit, it just had a magical aura to it and I kinda liked running the old sidchrome and the pre65 mustang there being left hook it was good being by the inside of the corner for a change. I can still remember the HQ boys when we camped at the track, man did they party hard and would go till 2 in the morning. It would have been interesting if they had been breathalised before they went out for their race that day. Usually the racing got stopped for a few minutes in the day while the fire crew put out the toitois atop the front straight bleachers to the cheers of the "Fridge Club" lol. Golden days!!
    How would a new( old Bay Park) go down today.

Would be great eh Custaxie.....we all know the story [stories] of the old circuit closing , I personally love the shape of track..... but as we move on [evolve] the old track was soon to become too small ......a larger version would be great ......there were a lot of rumpty dumpty building not to mention the drainage & flooding,new toilets, ....roads needed sealing etc etc... BUT hey it worked did it not , Pete had a band of friends helping out , even Denny would bring his new ride on mower & cut the grass on embankment......Tauranga & the Mount did not realise how much revenue Bay Park was generating until it was gone , perhaps give MQ a ring ????????????

Good point Grant, the revenue that flooded into the accommodation and hospitality establishments of Tauranga and the Mount over the Xmas/New Year period when their big meetings were on would have been massive, I actually worked at Willow Park for a couple of summers in the early '80s (so after their real boom years) and on race weekends the joint was hopping even then. Let alone the Oceanside, Bayfair pub etc, bottle shops all over town and all the motorcamps. And for all the summer fun in the sun of a race day and gallons of grog consumed, I never saw a punch thrown, it was just folk having fun.
    Something I doubt the dickheads of today could manage...

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Good point Grant, the revenue that flooded into the accommodation and hospitality establishments of Tauranga and the Mount over the Xmas/New Year period when their big meetings were on would have been massive, I actually worked at Willow Park for a couple of summers in the early '80s (so after their real boom years) and on race weekends the joint was hopping even then. Let alone the Oceanside, Bayfair pub etc, bottle shops all over town and all the motorcamps. And for all the summer fun in the sun of a race day and gallons of grog consumed, I never saw a punch thrown, it was just folk having fun.
    I was told by someone who was involved with the tourism industry that it was a million dollars plus for a big meeting. That was 20 years ago when a million dollars was a lot of money.

Well said GD66....love your response.......Willow Park ...a few pubs on the strand [St Amand] etc etc were all iconic before I arrived in Tga .. The stories are not as prolific as they used to be but there were some beauts......Bay fair was the one after practice ....there is a new one there now , have visited it probably twice in ten years called invibe .....as for the St Amand that was a biggy I managed to have a game of pool there & a beer or 3 with Dad in mid 70,s while racing GTX ........Tga being the draw card for Gary [the weather] to move up north ..later on I came up to be with Gary... If it was not for Bay Park we would not have met up with Peter & the lovely people here in Tga

You say you never saw a punch thrown, I thought I read somewhere that Grimme had to sort out a few attitude problems at the park, I don't know if he knows any other way to do that.

World Champion
    The last time I went to Bay Park was at the end of 1975, almost 40 years ago. After being in England, at tracks with limited visibility,I thoroughly enjoyed being close to the track and watching cars all the way around the circuit. It was great to see the big banger saloon cars come out but my old photos do not do justice to the occasion.
    This was the first time Allan Moffat was not driving a Ford.
    More information on his white # 7 DeKon Monza can be found at this site.

http://www.transamcars.com/content/200/200history.pdf

My photos from that day are a bit rough but they do show the crowd size etc..great memories.

Name:  Bay Park 1975.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  Bay Park_# 1.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  Bay Park_#3.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  181.5 KB

[

( Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-13-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: **

Gallons of grog consumed? I went to the big New Year 1971 meeting with a mate Laurie and his girlfriend. We were in our early twenties, so docile looking we would have fitted in at a bible class camp. At one point Laurie asked if I wanted a beer and pulled a couple of cans out of his bag. Before we even opened them a teenaged prat in a white coat was standing in front of us and demanding we get rid of it or he would have us evicted. Laurie had to take his cans back to his car.

Yea Weeeeeeelll you see motor racing & beer seems to go hand in hand , as for the d....k heads [TOO PC] some I feel spoil it for others , some times back then my crew were very in control & had a few & laughs and plenty. of innocent fun ... perhaps as a bit older now I look back we pushed the boundaries , but we were all business men & were responsible........ I am a person that does not like to be dictated to by a d....k head, but I nod my head .....[under my breath I say wake up son ...get back in the real world] BUT by saying this there must still be some rules in place to stop drink driving etc.even if it saves one life as you cant put a price on that can you ????...... we have all done it.......its the young [some older] blind drunk ones the need their wings clipped....... HEY I love the NOW photo of Bay Park.. the way the new housing has all different coloured roofs to show the old area