Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Weekend 20 Years Ago, what were you doing???

World Champion
    hey Grant,
    That is your uncle Leo in the # 4 PDL Mustang. How are you related ? Did you ever get to drive this magnificent machine ?
    Geez they were great days at the Mount and Bay Park, although my wife thought the racing was boring after the first 2 laps and took a nap in the stands !
    Perhaps it was all the racing fumes !

( Ken H )

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    hey Grant,
    That is your uncle Leo in the # 4 PDL Mustang. How are you related ? Did you ever get to drive this magnificent machine ?
    Geez they were great days at the Mount and Bay Park, although my wife thought the racing was boring after the first 2 laps and took a nap in the stands !
    Perhaps it was all the racing fumes !

( Ken H )
    LOL , Hi Ken from a beautiful crisp Tauranga morning, The connection with Leo ..... he & Maureen use to baby sit us kids , Leo was Dads apprentice at Sprague motors.. & it all went from there Leo is a close friend indeed, as for the PDL mustang I would have been a young teen , or starting out doing club events...at that point & time Gary was to go to UK & work for F1 , Ernie had about enough of motor racing & needed a spell , Leo was in line to be asked to drive the PDL mustang along with Graeme Baker etc a few were lucky enough to get a drive , now good friend Roy McDonald owns that car , ex SI pre 65 champ.....from Dunein....hope you & wife all good over there my good friend ........... Grant

World Champion
    Hey Grant,
    Here is one just for you. Thank you for thanking Peter and all those who gave us Bay Park. ( You will never know all the "stuff" I have packed in my suitcase over the years and dragged back here to Los Olivos !... I hope you don't mind me doing this.)

Name:  For Grant.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  180.7 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-17-2015 at 06:24 AM.

World Champion
    April 1995. The end of an era.

Name:  End of an Era.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  177.9 KB

(Scrapbook cutting from Bay of Plenty Times)

(Ken Hyndman )

Thank you Ken...... I love the coloured photo of Bay Park . I could melt into it .....I am just sitting at home with my girls .& the big one lol .... having a cup of T after a beautiful meal & a red ........ Reminiscing on that pik of Bay Park .......just so cool ......Hey isn't F1 interesting at present ....... very exciting .......Thank you Ken

World Champion
    We were all spoilt back then. No comments are needed from me.

Name:  Stars at Baypark.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  172.4 KB

You can add Beechey, both Geoghegans, Moffat, Davy Jones, Roberto Moreno, Keke Rosberg, Frank Gardner, Phillipe Streiff, Allen Berg etc, all were great names at international level.

Not to forget Mike Thackwell & Jos Verstappen .....coming here to sharpen their pencil .... during their winter [seat time ] here in NZ ...

World Champion
    Some more cuttings from the Bay of Plenty Times of the last day at Baypark Raceway. April 1995.

Name:  Final Baypark # 2.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  Final Baypark # 3.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  Final Baypark # 5 .jpg
Views: 526
Size:  178.1 KB

(Ken Hyndman scrapbook )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-17-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: *

World Champion
    I was at this meet in Dec. 1971 and watched Graeme drive this Lola T 300. It had so much potential but sadly the Pukekohe accident ended all that.

Name:  Graeme T 300.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  183.9 KB

( Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    If only I had a crystal ball ! Here are some Honda prices in April 1995. I could have spent $ 30,000 to buy a decent car that would not be worth much today. Apple stock at that time was about $ 5.00 per share. If I had brought 6000 shares then instead of the Honda they would have been worth about $ 4.5 million US today @ approx. $ 800.00 each before splitting etc..! I did neither, I just dream ..what if !

Name:  1994 Honda !.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  181.8 KB

( Ken (the dreamer ) Hyndman )

World Champion
    April 1995. The final flag.
    Thanks to Peter and Graham and all others involved in making Baypark and all the great memories that will never be forgotten. ( note what Graeme Lawrence said about the condition of the track )..a job jolly well done !

Name:  Final flag at Baypark.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  184.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman ..with cuttings from the Bay of Plenty Times 1995 ))

[QUOTE=khyndart in CA;46531]We were all spoilt back then. No comments are needed from me.

I am always amazed at where my old photos appear....

Name:  Brock.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  140.3 KB

I remember after receiving a press pass for Baypark we had to supply about six 6" X 8" prints to Peter Hanna for future press releases. His final collection must have been worth seeing!
    Last edited by BMCBOY; 04-18-2015 at 12:32 AM.

World Champion
    Ross,
    I am always amazed at your wonderful photography. This photo is so clear that my wife looked at it and said it proves that she is not the only woman that gets bored at the races because your photo shows about 4 women and approx. 30 guys in the background crowd.
    So there you have it, your great photos are used for all sorts of reasons. The camera never lies ! (You have fans all over the world )

(Ken Hyndman )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Ross,
    I am always amazed at your wonderful photography. This photo is so clear that my wife looked at it and said it proves that she is not the only woman that gets bored at the races because your photo shows about 4 women and approx. 30 guys in the background crowd.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Cheers Ken,
    If I remember rightly these Baypark meetings were usually during the height of summer at "the Mount" so most of the girlfriends and wives were happy to laze around on the beach and watch the "surfies". The lads filled a chilly bin and took off to Baypark to watch the racing, eat hot dogs and chips and generally have a good day. There wasn't a lot of shade at the track so the first thing to do on the way home was to jump into the sea for a cool off!!
    I can remember a lot of competitors ending up in swimming pools also after the racing - but that's another thread all on its own......