Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mike Feisst Collection - Part 4

Thanks Rowan. So did Whincup race the car in NZ then?

[QUOTE=Rod Grimwood;2072]Yes it is Steve, do you reckonize the gentleman pushing on the left rear wing (I know the one on the right) He helped Steve out alot in the beginning years of Steves single seat days. Just had a big Festival in his name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Just a question on the Millen car above, was this the car that starred in Roger Donaldson's Smash Palace movie?[/
    I remember when Steve launched this car on a big piece of polystyrene in the swimming pool of a local North Shore pub. Or was that the Martini car? I have a sequence of Steves terrible crash in turn one at Pukekohe when Huub Rottengatter forced him off. I recall you being one of the first people there Rod. He had a terribly broken arm. I remember Steve saying that they lifted the suspension up to film the loose metal scenes down at Horopito and he said it handled really well....(incidently I was one of the very first Aucklanders to discover the best kept secret of a paddock full of vintage tin...Horipito Wreckers. I was on my honeymoon in 1969 and my bride sat in the car for near on 8 hours while I duly spent most of our money on brand new mudguards for my 1934 three window coupe....what a woman....I do miss her from time to time.) Regarding the Chevette rally car...this wasnt a works car but Shane Murland had a really quick car here and I must say he drove it well......(his name came up recently at a Targa??) Regards, Tony Rutherford.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Pretty sure the swimming-pool launch was the Chardon year

Shane Murland's Chevette may have been a privately-owned one (memory-fade!) but I'm sure he was incorporated into the GMDT team for some events - perhaps only the Motogard, or whatever we were up to then

[QUOTE=Jizim;5170]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Yes it is Steve, do you reckonize the gentleman pushing on the left rear wing (I know the one on the right) He helped Steve out alot in the beginning years of Steves single seat days. Just had a big Festival in his name.

I remember when Steve launched this car on a big piece of polystyrene in the swimming pool of a local North Shore pub. Or was that the Martini car? I have a sequence of Steves terrible crash in turn one at Pukekohe when Huub Rottengatter forced him off. I recall you being one of the first people there Rod. He had a terribly broken arm. I remember Steve saying that they lifted the suspension up to film the loose metal scenes down at Horopito and he said it handled really well....(incidently I was one of the very first Aucklanders to discover the best kept secret of a paddock full of vintage tin...Horipito Wreckers. I was on my honeymoon in 1969 and my bride sat in the car for near on 8 hours while I duly spent most of our money on brand new mudguards for my 1934 three window coupe....what a woman....I do miss her from time to time.) Regarding the Chevette rally car...this wasnt a works car but Shane Murland had a really quick car here and I must say he drove it well......(his name came up recently at a Targa??) Regards, Tony Rutherford.
    8 hours! I was there some time back and my partner Helen allowed me 45 minutes, and followed me around the whole time so I kept to my deadline.

It was the Chardon colours that featured the swimming pool launch. Rod has posted some pics over on the Formula Atlantic thread: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-Pacific/page4