Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Matich

Frank Matich

I had a phone call earlier from across the Tasman ,that Frank Matich passed away today , RIP
    Last edited by bob homewood; 05-11-2015 at 09:29 AM.

A very fast racer - not many with his pace reached 80 years of age. God speed FM

World Champion
    Sad news indeed
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I will remember him just like this!

And this one is a ripper.

These were on an Aussie FChat tonight.

World Champion
    Frank's cars were beautifully prepared and beautifully driven. A real class act and I am glad I saw him driving in his prime.

Name:  Frank Matich. Amaroo Park. Sept 1970.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  167.3 KB
    Frank Matich with his new McLaren M10[B] with Repco engine. Amaroo Park, NSW. Sept. 1970

Name:  Frank Matich. Warwick Farm. 1970.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  68.4 KB
    Frank Matich at speed. Warwick Farm. May 1970

Name:  Frank Matich. Warwick Farm. 1970.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  158.1 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-12-2015 at 07:01 AM.

One of those guys ............. great talent great man RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    One of those guys ............. great talent great man RIP
    What a real loss.

Saw him race on numerous occasions in both F5000 and sports cars and he was always a front runner. Time waits for no man and this is becoming a more common occurrence unfortunately. RIP

I remember him racing at Mt Manganui (not Baypark)Name:  IMG_0001 (640x410).jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  150.4 KB

December 2006 Tasman Revival... Frank Matich with part of that year's New Zealand invasion, Dennis Marwood & Jim Palmer

Frank Matich 25/1/35 - 11/5/15
    As we approach 12 months since fellow racer and racing car constructor, Jack Brabham passed away, it's sad to see another of the greats has left the grid.

I only met him once at the 2006 Tasman Revival at Eastern Creek. He was more than happy to sign something and I was more than happy to just sit and watch Frank sitting with Frank Gardner bantering away with each other and enthusiasts. Maybe FG has left a spot on the new grid FM! But maybe not pole!

My condolences to all Frank's family and friends.

Stephen
    Last edited by Cooper997; 05-12-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Allan. You mush have been standing near me that day. The Stanton came past us rolling down the road hit the logs they had there. Good photo.

I photographed FM talking to Graham McRae that day at Eastern Creek - afterwards GM told me it was the longest conversation they'd ever had...which surprised me given they were the two giants of the first few years of the F5000 phase of the Tasman Series.

He was certainly one of Australia's best.

Saw this on TNF earlier tonight.

World Champion

What a shame that clip doesn't show one of the great attempted passing moves in the history of Warwick Farm...

As Matich came up to lap Peter Caldwell's Tojiero Climax halfway between the Northern Crossing and the Causeway he went one side and Amon went the other. Grass clippings flew from the outside wheels of both cars.

What year is the Mt Manganui pic from?

World Champion
    Ray,
    The Mount Maunganui race meet was on December 28 1963.

(Ken Hyndman )

So that should be an early outing of the Lotus 19B then, not the Lotus 19...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    I photographed FM talking to Graham McRae that day at Eastern Creek - afterwards GM told me it was the longest conversation they'd ever had...which surprised me given they were the two giants of the first few years of the F5000 phase of the Tasman Series.

Possibly not all that amazing Michael, considering they probably shared a mutual professional dislike. Both attempting to dominate the locals and stick it up the visitors at Tasman level, both attempting to be competitive in the US, both designing and building their own cars. As you know from racing, you can get along with some folk but on-track it can be pretty gritty when they come into your immediate space. It may have been only later that they have both let the competitive spirit subside, and the long-suppressed acknowledgement of appreciation flow, however begrudgingly. Anyway, I would love to have cast an ear over that conversation. Two giants from our end of the globe.

Edit : This gets mentioned in that excellent Derek Kneller interview on the next page...
    Last edited by GD66; 05-30-2015 at 11:43 PM.