Thread: Frank Matich

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    I photographed FM talking to Graham McRae that day at Eastern Creek - afterwards GM told me it was the longest conversation they'd ever had...which surprised me given they were the two giants of the first few years of the F5000 phase of the Tasman Series.

Possibly not all that amazing Michael, considering they probably shared a mutual professional dislike. Both attempting to dominate the locals and stick it up the visitors at Tasman level, both attempting to be competitive in the US, both designing and building their own cars. As you know from racing, you can get along with some folk but on-track it can be pretty gritty when they come into your immediate space. It may have been only later that they have both let the competitive spirit subside, and the long-suppressed acknowledgement of appreciation flow, however begrudgingly. Anyway, I would love to have cast an ear over that conversation. Two giants from our end of the globe.

Edit : This gets mentioned in that excellent Derek Kneller interview on the next page...
    Last edited by GD66; 05-30-2015 at 11:43 PM.

Levin..I think 1972-3 McRea was in SPT colours and was on pole. Matich was I down in 13th? I think... McRea called out in front of everyone on the dummy grid mocking Matich being so far back on the grid. True story.