Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frank Matich

Levin..I think 1972-3 McRea was in SPT colours and was on pole. Matich was I down in 13th? I think... McRea called out in front of everyone on the dummy grid mocking Matich being so far back on the grid. True story.

Don't think so, John. In 1971 McRae was on the front row with Neil Allen, Matich/Amon on row 2. McRae won, Matich dnf.
    In 1972 McRae and Matich shared the front row and finished 1-2.
    In 1973 McRae and Stewart were on the front row, Matich/Brown on row 2. McRae won, and Matich finished second.
    In 1974 Matich didn't contest the NZ rounds.

You are right..it would have been 1973 of corse it wasn’t 13th place on the dummy grid. But Matich was a little behind on the dummy grid and McRea turned and said “get ready to finish in 13th place”. Tell me with McRea being so brilliant on that track I would love to know how did he manage to pull out a 2-3 second lead in the first lap?
    Matich had 2 cars in that orange colour with I think Walker in the second car. Just amazing racing.

That sounds better. Yes, we were lucky to be able to get an eyeful, and an earful of the racing in those great days, mate.

World Champion

I told Graeme McRae today at lunch time today that Frank had passed away. Graeme did not know.

A sad loss. RIP Frank and thank you.

A lot of similarities between Frank and Graham. Determined, creative, talented, turned out beautiful cars which they drove with enormous verve. Sad passing, thanks for the memories Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I told Graeme McRae today at lunch time today that Frank had passed away. Graeme did not know.
    Where is Graham these days ? The last I heard from him he was in Canada

Graham is living here in Kingsland, Auckland. I see him most days. He told me yesterday that he was 78 years old and was feeling weak.

Woody: Would you ever ask him to place comments on here? What a genies and legend the man is. We never did hear enough from him.

Name:  frank.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  90.2 KB more photos coming , ..worked for Frank at his business about 1972 ... became friends although I was a teen , he let me run the wheel alignment part of things , knew
    bit about those things before I arrived there from home , plus from city Chrysler in Darlinghurst
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 06-09-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spell

Name:  frank 2.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  94.2 KBThis was a xmas party, on the shore "franks Place"

Name:  frank 3.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  99.2 KB By this time I had a pool rescue raft around me , an ...opportunity knocked , but had other things to witness around the planet & do ...we move on....no regrets had a couple of beautiful daughters ??
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 06-09-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spell

World Champion
    I was going through some Moss Motors archive material and found this article on one of my favorite Australian drivers, Frank Matich, in the early days of his wonderful career in racing.
    Name:  -FrankMatich 100 Healey.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  Frank Matich. Healey 100. # 1.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  164.3 KB

Name:  Frank Matich. Healey 100. # 2.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  169.0 KB
    (Australian Austin Healey..March 2014)

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    As Frank mentions in this interview that both he and Joan competed together at hill climbs in the early years and he would compete on the track. I remember meeting Joan Matich at Amaroo Park in Sept. 1970 and she was very friendly and nice and Frank was in a good mood as he had just enjoyed driving his new McLaren M10B Repco F 5000 car.
    Here is an early photo of Joan and Frank from David Finch's collection.
    Name:  Frank & Joan Matich. 1955.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  100.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman )