Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
Great pictures David

I worked with Ken Bailey in the 80's and he use to tell me stories of his Coppins/Zephyr adventures, im sure he's still around and here in Tauranga.

Did you happen to get the rego of this Mustang in any other pictures David? I can understand it sure would have been an attraction back then, a brand new Mustang in the car park?

Dale M
Dale

No, I didn't take a more front end shot to get the rego. I had to wait until mid-afternoon before I could even get this one, without people in the way. Of course, I'd have had no trouble taking photos of that LHD Corvair wagon next to it - no one was interested in that (not that I want to start a Ford vs Chev debate lol).

When I was in the Manawatu Mustang Owners Club I was the magazine editor. I put this photo in the mag asking if anyone remembered it but didn't get any response. I said it was maroon and with those distinctive chrome corners (didn't like them myself) I'd have thought it would have been well known. It wasn't as if Mustangs were a commonly seen car.
A couple of years after taking this shot I was walking along Dixon Street in Wellington and came across Graham McRaes red 65/66 fastback parked at the kerb with 4 or 5 people standing looking at it. They were certainly a car that clicked with the public and there was no shortage of people like me who aspired to own one someday.

David