Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Mention has been made some time ago of the GBS - built by Gordon Brown and more recently of the " Fordie " or Jock Aitken Special, built Jock who was a Mechanic and Engineer, he ran a small garage / workshop in Grafton Gully, nera where the motorway is now - this was in the 1940's through to the 1960's from memory it was just a small garage with a ramp and pit beside it. My first car used to get serviced there back in 1967

This photo of the GBS and the Fordie was posted recently, and I have found another photo of a car which looks the same as the Fordie from Ohakea in 1952.

Photos from the Arthur Siddall collection from Duncan Fox.

Note an A Cowper behind Jock Aitken's Fordie left photo at top.

Ohakea 1952 - middle left car driven by A Cowper - I am sure that is the Jock Aitken car.
    Extract from the 1953 Ohakea Programme from Mark Coulthard

C H Chatteris - Harry Chatteris who was in C and R Racing with Ron Roycroft.
    George Smith in the Allard that is now with Rob Boult in Queenstown
    A story on another Special bult by an NSCC member is coming soon.
    I am quite sure that three of the group of four photos show Gordon Brown’s GBS.
    Car number 11 is also in fact the GPS and the second of the pair of photos, would appear to show Gordon Brown driving the Jupiter owned by Dr. Ken Orre, who became my GP in later years. He never drove the car himself in speed events and in spite of discrete questioning I was never able to find out why this was so. Gordon Brown was a patient and therefore a natural choice. Know-one else drove the Jupiter, the only one competing at the time and one of three which came available during import licensing. Gordon went on to roll and bend it slightly.

I can not recall the Aitken car ever being referred to as the ”Fordie”. Whatever, it in no way resembled the GPS.

Hill Climb venues used by NSCC.

Trying to get a complete list of roads used by NSCC from the early days 1940's through to now.
    Have found a few but there are gaps in the order which probably means I am missing quite a lot

The list so far

1940's - late in the decade. First Hill Climb appears to be in 1946
    1946 - 47.

Taylors Bay, Hillsborough - unsure which road was used.

Pokeno again no details on which road was used.

Ostrich Farm Road - late 1940's - understand this may have been the Auckland Car Club's venue not NSCC

1950's

" Wairamarama Onewhero Road, Onewhero "

described as Wairamarama Road, Glen Murray in some details about an early Hill Climb - near Ron Roycrofts place - used definitely in 1956.
    Thanks to Trevor for the correction of spelling - makes it easier to find on a map !!

1960's

Wharepapa Road, Helensville - used early 1960's ** maybe 1964

Birdwood Road, Massey - area now called Birdwood as Massey is a large area. used 1964 - 65, did they keep using it until Cosseys was used in March 1967.

** Have now re-found an article about the last running of Birdwood Road in 1964 or 65 ! after that the new hill was to be Wharepapa Road, Helensville
    Name:  NSCC #247 1964 ! Birdwood Rd last  Hill Climb new venue Wharepapa Bob Homewood.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  67.6 KB

1967 on.

Cosseys Farm [ private road ] Drury - 1967 until at least the late 1980's [ more information needed ]

Also researching the Bardahl Series of Hill Climbs which appears to have started in the early 1970's with the trophy being mentioned in results as Club events incorporating the " Bardahl Trophy "

Any information or comments welcome.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-22-2020 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Spelling and more info ###47

Wairamarama (N.B. Spelling) was the exclusive venue of the Northern Sports Car Club for several years. It was originally a short section of a metal road which became sealed due the surface becoming a mud trap for farmers, who therefore put pressure on the local Council.

It was unusual at the time, being a sealed surface, rather than the usual loose metal rural road used for hillclimbs. It was used as I recall, from the late 1940's.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-22-2020 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Addition.

Question forTrevor.
    Do you know the chassis and such of GBS? Reason for asking is that my first special, acquired in 1967 from Rotorua was registered as GBS, but looked nothing like the photos posted of Gordon Brown's car, in reality very close to MGTF. Memory says the reg papers said it was built in Gisborne. Of course there is nothing to suggest it's the same car, not that the builder of "mine" didn't also use his own initials. Last known when I sold it minus engine and gearbox to someone near Ngaruawahia.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Question forTrevor.
    Do you know the chassis and such of GBS? Reason for asking is that my first special, acquired in 1967 from Rotorua was registered as GBS, but looked nothing like the photos posted of Gordon Brown's car, in reality very close to MGTF. Memory says the reg papers said it was built in Gisborne. Of course there is nothing to suggest it's the same car, not that the builder of "mine" didn't also use his own initials. Last known when I sold it minus engine and gearbox to someone near Ngaruawahia.
    The Gordon Brown car always had a streamlined frontal aspect and therefore I can not see the car that you acquired being the same vehicle.

Furthermore as mentioned in the extensive article appearing in previous posts 299-300, the two-speed Ruckstell rear axle would have positively identified the Gordon Brown car.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-21-2020 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Addition..

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Wairamarama (N.B. Spelling) was the exclusive venue of the Northern Sports Car Club for several years. It was originally a short section of a metal road which became sealed due the surface becoming a mud trap for farmers, who therefore put pressure on the local Council. It was used as I recall, from the late 1940's.
    Trevor, thanks for the notes about Wairamarama and the spelling - my notes were scribbled in pencil on a sheet of paper - need more attention to detail. Will correct it.
    Cheers

GBS Gordon Brown Special.

The GBS - Gordon Brown Special - notes I have indicate Gordon did build more than one car as stated here by Graham Vercoe [ without getting into a discussion on the accuracy of his books " a 1904 cc Ford V8 - 60 " ?? ] .

Name:  GBS Gordon Brown Special #1, CCI31012016_0001 (409x800).jpg
Views: 705
Size:  118.9 KB

Only photos I have collected are of the first car completed in 1947 [ not 1949 ] This car same as the Vercoe article above [ posted before ].

Name:  GBS Gordon Brown Special - Muriwai Beach races 1947-48 !! #3 (1).jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  139.8 KB

This the article when Gordon was looking for the car in 2016

Name:  GBS Gordon Brown Special Western Leader article 28 Jan 2016 v2, CCI28012016 (2) (540x750).jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  178.0 KB

Then there are the photos from the Arthur Siddall collection which I have now separated.
    Seagrove in 1947

Name:  NSCC 1947 #645 Seagrove Brown GBS Wilkinson Arthur Siddall colln Duncan Fox  (2).jpg
Views: 775
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  NSCC 1947 #646 Seagrove Powell Ford B4 Brown GBS Arthur Siddall colln Duncan Fox  (2).jpg
Views: 750
Size:  84.5 KB

re-attached photos - hope they show.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-24-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: photo 3 added #### 47

Gordon Brown

[QUOTE=Roger Dowding;72971]The GBS - Gordon Brown Special - notes I have indicate Gordon did build more than one car as stated here by Graham Vercoe [ without getting into a discussion on the accuracy of his books " a 1904 cc Ford V8 - 60 " ?? ] .

As mentioned in my lengthy effort posts 299 - 300, a full article appeared in a short lived locally produced sports car magazine covering the construction of Gordon Brown's car. I can not recall its title, but the magazine has been mentioned within this forum. Within the article it was stated that having just purchased a newly built house, Gordon fitted the car with a make-shift dozer blade and as a result it assisted with the leveling of the house section! How could one forget reading a report involving a sports car and such enterprise? LOL

Surely a copy of the magazine must exist somewhere.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-22-2020 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Typo

[QUOTE=Trevor Sheffield;72973]
    The GBS - Gordon Brown Special - notes I have indicate Gordon did build more than one car as stated here by Graham Vercoe [ without getting into a discussion on the accuracy of his books " a 1904 cc Ford V8 - 60 " ?? ] .

As mentioned in my lengthy effort posts 299 - 300, a full article appeared in a short lived locally produced sports car magazine covering the construction of Gordon Brown's car. I can not recall its title, but the magazine has been mentioned within this forum. Within the article it was stated that having just purchased a newly built house, Gordon fitted the car with a make-shift dozer blade and as a result it assisted with the leveling of the house section! How could one forget reading a report involving a sports car and such enterprise? LOL

Surely a copy of the magazine must exist somewhere.
    Trevor, I hope so - would like to see a copy myself.
    Having reminded me I will ask on the Facebook Group about Motorsport and Motoring books.
    Cheers

Trying to get a complete list of roads used by NSCC from the early days 1940's through to now.
    Have found a few but there are gaps in the order which probably means I am missing quite a lot

The list so far

1940's - late in the decade. First Hill Climb appears to be in 1946
    1946 - 47.

Taylors Bay, Hillsborough - unsure which road was used.

Pokeno again no details on which road was used.

Ostrich Farm Road - late 1940's - understand this may have been the Auckland Car Club's venue not NSCC

1950's

" Wairamarama Onewhero Road, Onewhero "

described as Wairamarama Road, Glen Murray in some details about an early Hill Climb - near Ron Roycrofts place - used definitely in 1956.
    Thanks to Trevor for the correction of spelling - makes it easier to find on a map !!

1960's

Wharepapa Road, Helensville - used early 1960's

Birdwood Road, Massey - area now called Birdwood as Massey is a large area. used 1964 - 65, did they keep using it until Cosseys was used in March 1967.

1967 on.

Cosseys Farm [ private road ] Drury - 1967 until at least the late 1980's [ more information needed ]

Also researching the Bardahl Series of Hill Climbs which appears to have started in the early 1970's with the trophy being mentioned in results as Club events incorporating the " Bardahl Trophy "

Any information or comments welcome.
    Unfortunately this report of a 1948 hill climb at Whitford doesn't mention the name of the road.

Name:  img313 (2).jpg
Views: 572
Size:  162.3 KB

Sorry Trevor, I read the posts on the Fiat as if it were a car you built, not one of Gordons.

Sorry Trevor, I read the posts on the Fiat as if it were a car you built, not one of Gordons.
    Damn it you old fart, check your eyesight. LOL I bloody well built the Fiat 509 Special as a very young fella. LLOl+. Plenty of gas @ 91!
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-22-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Oldfart - The Fiat was Trevors as he says " Plenty of gas @ 91! " and that is not an Octane Rating - he sent me the story and I found some other comments of this, and Trevor found the photos too - that he thought were not around.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-22-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Plenty of gas @ 91! ###47

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Unfortunately this report of a 1948 hill climb at Whitford doesn't mention the name of the road.

Name:  img313 (2).jpg
Views: 572
Size:  162.3 KB
    Thanks Milan a good article.
    The familiar names that my Uncle Ed used to talk about - Alan Pybus [ not Pubus ] was a great mate of Ed's and I can remember about 15 -20 years ago my cousin John, Ed's son, and myself carrying Alan up the stairs at Ed and Una's home. Alan was wheelchair bound but still had his drivers licence and a car with hand controls - a 3 series BMW from memory..
    Other great names all connected Ralph Watson, Ron Roycroft, Ken Hemus, Arthur Siddall whose photos have featured here recently and the great " Starter of Pukekohe " Laurie Powell in the results - have photos of of lot of them and their cars from Arthurs Albums showing Housego and MacGregor too - The Albums rescued by Duncan Fox as mentioned here before

I have been searching my brain in order to recall the owner of a Ford ten based special, current at the time of the GBS and Collin MacGregor has rung a bell. The car was simillar to that of Don Tilsley but not quite as quick. It was later owned by a well known NSCC member and official, Jim Lockley.

As per an email to Trevor when the site wan't accepting posts, I originally did read Trevor's lengthy (as he puts it) posts on the Fiat special, and thought it was his. How that was supposed to assist in seeing if there was any link between "my" GBS, last known in Ngaruawahia and a Gordon Brown car I don't know. Probably no link at all apart from the same name.
    Moving on.....
    I suspect the article mentioned went to the same magazine who commissioned me to write some articles, never paid the agreed rate, and said I should take out a subscription to see what they published of mine. Folded soon after.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-22-2020 at 08:15 PM.

As per an email to Trevor when the site wan't accepting posts, I originally did read Trevor's lengthy (as he puts it) posts on the Fiat special, and thought it was his. How that was supposed to assist in seeing if there was any link between "my" GBS, last known in Ngaruawahia and a Gordon Brown car I don't know. Probably no link at all apart from the same name.
    Please read again:-
    "Furthermore as mentioned in the extensive article appearing in previous posts 299-300, the two-speed Ruckstell rear axle would have positively identified the Gordon Brown car."

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    I have been searching my brain in order to recall the owner of a Ford ten based special, current at the time of the GBS and Collin MacGregor has rung a bell. The car was simillar to that of Don Tilsley but not quite as quick. It was later owned by a well known NSCC member and official, Jim Lockley.
    Trevor, Colin MacGregor features in the Arthur Siddall albums, I will find and separate a photo of his car or cars and post later. [ 5;12 ]

Later 5;35 ; only mention of a C MacGregor is driving an MG Magna - no Special that I can find so far.
    Cheers
    Roger

Later again - a day later;
    Have put up a post about about Jock Aitken and his Special(s), as understand he built two.
    There is a comment in the Vercoe Book, that McGregor drove Jocks first Ford 10 Special when it was owned by Arthur Cowper in the 1950's
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-25-2020 at 03:57 AM. Reason: comment added " bold " ###47

Jock Aitken - The Aitken Ford 10 [ one of two ]

Aitken Ford, that I called " Fordie " - I did that because under one of the Arthur Siddall photos is the notation
    - J Aitken " Ford1o " - the printing was quite small and I thought - the " 1 - one " was a " I " and the " 0 Zero - o " was a " e "
    Apologies for the double confusion as typed the comment wrong too -just corrected today 25th may at 4;00 pm .

More on the car quote from the Graham Vercoe book " Historic Racing Cars of New Zealand " there is a small article on Jocks cars and a photo of the second car at Muriwai in 1954 ;

" Jock Aitken, of Auckland, drove a most attractive two-seat sports car both on the road and in competition in 1949.
    The car would have been a credit to any manufacturer. It was based on a Ford 10 and powered by and 1172 cc 100E motor. [ Notes 1, and 2 mine ]
    Aitken went on to build a second Ford 10 - based special, selling the original to Arthur Cowper, who immediately took a class win with it at Wairamarama in 1952. Colin McGregor sometimes drove this car for Cowper. [ Note 3 ] Phil Kerr used the car in 1954 to take second place in the Bryce Tye Memorial at Muriwai [ Note 4 ]and subsequently bought the car, driving it for a couple of seasons.
    The second Aitken car made its debut at Seagrove in December 1951, Aitken finishing third. This car was eventually re-engined with a Ford V8 unit "

Note 1, Believe the first car was built in 1947 not 1949 - around the same time as the first GBS - also stated to be 1949.
    Note 2, " Ford 10 .. 1172 cc 100E motor ".
    I am not an expert on the Ford 8 and 10 English sidevalve Motors, but in the late 1940's would be an E493A but according to Wikipaedia went on through the 100E range until 1962 when they were still available in the " Poverty - Pack " - Ford Popular version of the 100E.
    Quote from Wiki .... ;
    " The Ford Sidevalve is a side valve (flathead engine) from the British arm of the Ford Motor Company, often also referred to as the "English Sidevalve". The engine had its origins in the 1930s Ford Model Y, and were made in two sizes, 933 cc (56.9 cu in) or "8 HP", and 1,172 cc (71.5 cu in) or "10 HP".
    Production‎: ‎1932–1962 Power output‎: ‎36 hp (27 kW)
    Displacement‎: ‎933 cc (56.9 cu in); 1,172 cc ... Compression ratio‎: ‎6.0:1 ".

Note 3, Colin McGregor drove for Cowper - this would connect with Trevor Sheffield recalling that Colin McGregor had or built a Ford 10 Special - would seem it was Jocks car that passed to Cowper

Note 4, The photo in the Graham Vercoe book is of the second Special " Aitken - Ford 10 " with a simpler less rounded body and cycle guards - not fitted for the races at Muriwai in 1954 -

Photo of the Original Car - with Aitken driving at Seagrove in 1947, Cowper behind

Name:  NSCC 1947 #647 Seagrove Aitken Ford Spl Cowper Arthur Siddall colln Duncan Fox  (2).jpg
Views: 815
Size:  81.6 KB

and another photo undated with Jock Aitken and location not known.

Name:  NSCC #585 Jock Aitken Ford 10 middle Duncan Fox  (800x598) (2).jpg
Views: 613
Size:  39.5 KB

Cowper in the car at Ohakea in 1952
    from Mark Coulthard archives - in the 1953 Ohakea Programme I understand.

Name:  NSCC 1947 #649 Ford 10 special A Cowper Ohakea 1952 M Coulthard archives  (2).jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  46.2 KB.

The car does look well built but using cut down Ford 10 guards front and rear. Wheels are Ford too !
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-25-2020 at 04:02 AM. Reason: correction *** writer error ### 47 ..