Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Question forTrevor.
    Do you know the chassis and such of GBS? Reason for asking is that my first special, acquired in 1967 from Rotorua was registered as GBS, but looked nothing like the photos posted of Gordon Brown's car, in reality very close to MGTF. Memory says the reg papers said it was built in Gisborne. Of course there is nothing to suggest it's the same car, not that the builder of "mine" didn't also use his own initials. Last known when I sold it minus engine and gearbox to someone near Ngaruawahia.
    The Gordon Brown car always had a streamlined frontal aspect and therefore I can not see the car that you acquired being the same vehicle.

Furthermore as mentioned in the extensive article appearing in previous posts 299-300, the two-speed Ruckstell rear axle would have positively identified the Gordon Brown car.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-21-2020 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Addition..

GBS Gordon Brown Special.

The GBS - Gordon Brown Special - notes I have indicate Gordon did build more than one car as stated here by Graham Vercoe [ without getting into a discussion on the accuracy of his books " a 1904 cc Ford V8 - 60 " ?? ] .

Name:  GBS Gordon Brown Special #1, CCI31012016_0001 (409x800).jpg
Views: 729
Size:  118.9 KB

Only photos I have collected are of the first car completed in 1947 [ not 1949 ] This car same as the Vercoe article above [ posted before ].

Name:  GBS Gordon Brown Special - Muriwai Beach races 1947-48 !! #3 (1).jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  139.8 KB

This the article when Gordon was looking for the car in 2016

Name:  GBS Gordon Brown Special Western Leader article 28 Jan 2016 v2, CCI28012016 (2) (540x750).jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  178.0 KB

Then there are the photos from the Arthur Siddall collection which I have now separated.
    Seagrove in 1947

Name:  NSCC 1947 #645 Seagrove Brown GBS Wilkinson Arthur Siddall colln Duncan Fox  (2).jpg
Views: 801
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  NSCC 1947 #646 Seagrove Powell Ford B4 Brown GBS Arthur Siddall colln Duncan Fox  (2).jpg
Views: 773
Size:  84.5 KB

re-attached photos - hope they show.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-24-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: photo 3 added #### 47

Gordon Brown

[QUOTE=Roger Dowding;72971]The GBS - Gordon Brown Special - notes I have indicate Gordon did build more than one car as stated here by Graham Vercoe [ without getting into a discussion on the accuracy of his books " a 1904 cc Ford V8 - 60 " ?? ] .

As mentioned in my lengthy effort posts 299 - 300, a full article appeared in a short lived locally produced sports car magazine covering the construction of Gordon Brown's car. I can not recall its title, but the magazine has been mentioned within this forum. Within the article it was stated that having just purchased a newly built house, Gordon fitted the car with a make-shift dozer blade and as a result it assisted with the leveling of the house section! How could one forget reading a report involving a sports car and such enterprise? LOL

Surely a copy of the magazine must exist somewhere.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-22-2020 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Typo

[QUOTE=Trevor Sheffield;72973]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    The GBS - Gordon Brown Special - notes I have indicate Gordon did build more than one car as stated here by Graham Vercoe [ without getting into a discussion on the accuracy of his books " a 1904 cc Ford V8 - 60 " ?? ] .

As mentioned in my lengthy effort posts 299 - 300, a full article appeared in a short lived locally produced sports car magazine covering the construction of Gordon Brown's car. I can not recall its title, but the magazine has been mentioned within this forum. Within the article it was stated that having just purchased a newly built house, Gordon fitted the car with a make-shift dozer blade and as a result it assisted with the leveling of the house section! How could one forget reading a report involving a sports car and such enterprise? LOL

Surely a copy of the magazine must exist somewhere.
    Trevor, I hope so - would like to see a copy myself.
    Having reminded me I will ask on the Facebook Group about Motorsport and Motoring books.
    Cheers