Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
Trevor, an interesting comment " At the time when I joined, the club enjoyed a degree of sophistication which unfortunately, quite quickly became lost. " which is echoed here in a different way.
An extract from New Zealand Classic Car - Limited Edition Collectors Series #2, a story about Ron Roycroft, in the period 1948.

The Middle paragraph about the NZMRDC and NSCC - a comparison - not too PC in this modern world.

Name:  NSCC 1948 #074 NZCC Limited Edition vol #2 P 52 Ron Roycroft re NSCC NZMRDC and Competitors CC R.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  183.6 KB

They mention Racing at Seagrove beginning in 1948, but from other reading talks of Racing in 1949 with the " Season Opener " run by the Competitors Car Club in November 1948, and from the Arthur Siddall albums there is a page captioned Seagrove 1947, which may have been Sprints, not Races.

Trevor may know more - Would like to know when you first joined ? , If I may Trevor ?? .
More for the History of the Club .. From 1942 to now 2022
I have no records, but I would say that I joined the NSCC 1948/49. I remember that I was able to quote ownership of a qualifying car in that I was building my Fiat 509 Special. My first NSCC event with the car was the North Island Hill Climb Championship, Wairamara, where as I recall, a ran second to Ralph Watson driving his BSA Special, in the 1100 cc division. I think George Smith gained FTD, with Ron Roycroft close, driving his Bugatti.

I remember being envious of drivers of the faster cars which were sliding round last corner on the sealed surface and thinking, if only I had more power I could have fun doing that. A good crowd of spectators was on hand and an enthusiastic PA announcer set quite a scene.