Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NSCC Motorsport Day 1978

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    No photos ** from the event but here is my car Triumph GT6 MK 3 [ 1971 ] model at a Jaguar Drivers Club invitation Drag meeting at Meremere.
    As I only had a restricted licence " closed Club " at the time had to run solo.

Name:  Jag Drag April 1977 #1, My GT6, p1, CCI24122015_0002 (748x780).jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  Jag Drag April 1977 #2, my GT6 p2, CCI24122015 (752x780).jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  172.0 KB

and yes rear tyres are bigger, ran 165 x 13 Dunlops on the front and 185 x 13's on the rear good for economy but not for acceleration

Have pictures of a few of the Jaguars - will post on yards and yarns. later
    ** Found a couple of " distance " shots of the GT6 at the Motorsport Day at the sprints at the club circuit Pukekohe.

Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day the sprint GT6 p2, CCI04012016 (781x800).jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day the sprint GT6, p1, CCI04012016_0001 (763x800).jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  155.4 KB

Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day the sprint GT6 p2, v3, CCI04012016 (3).jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  49.7 KB

I remember two incidents on the "club" circuit as it was known. In the first one one of the competitors was too far forward according to the start official and was asked to move back a few feet which he did, only to leave the car in reverse so when the flag dropped he went one way and the rest of the field went the other. I don't recall too much damage. In the second incident a competitor came round the stables corner, got into a major tank slapper, then veered across the grass in the centre of the track. There was only one car parked in the area and the un-named competitor got that car dead centre between the doors.

Club Circuit Pukekohe - a circuit that was " sacred sites - lost tracks .

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I remember two incidents on the "club" circuit as it was known. In the first one one of the competitors was too far forward according to the start official and was asked to move back a few feet which he did, only to leave the car in reverse so when the flag dropped he went one way and the rest of the field went the other. I don't recall too much damage. In the second incident a competitor came round the stables corner, got into a major tank slapper, then veered across the grass in the centre of the track. There was only one car parked in the area and the un-named competitor got that car dead centre between the doors.
    Allan, I remember another incident at the club circuit for the quickfire meeting that was run and televised around 1970.
    A Triumph 2000 or 2500 broke a halfshaft coming past the stables on the right hand bend the halfshaft and wheel left the car and speared down the track. the errant part hit / was hit by a Mini in the front and looked like this afterwards [ no pic of the Triumph but here is the Mini ].

Name:  Mini, Pukekohe club meeting 1968 #3, Mike . ... !! .. CCI01092015 (2).jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  178.6 KB

Hand drawn plan of the club circuit - from the NCSS Motorsport Day 1978 Regulations and Route Book.

Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day 1978 p8 sprint regs and track planCCI22122015 (564x800).jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  134.0 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-15-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Allan, I remember another incident at the club circuit for the quickfire meeting that was run and televised around 1970.
    A Triumph 2000 or 2500 broke a halfshaft coming past the stables on the right hand bend the halfshaft and wheel left the car and speared down the track. the errant part hit / was hit by a Mini in the front and looked like this afterwards [ no pic of the Triumph but here is the Mini ].

Name:  Mini, Pukekohe club meeting 1968 #3, Mike . ... !! .. CCI01092015 (2).jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  178.6 KB

Hand drawn plan of the club circuit - from the NSCC Motorsport Day 1978 Regulations and Route Book.

Name:  NSCC Motorsport Day 1978 p8 sprint regs and track planCCI22122015 (564x800).jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  134.0 KB
    The Mike ..... ?? mentioned above was a good mate of Wayne McMath, who also ran a Cooper 'S' in various meetings in the 1970's, he was quite a quick peddler, lived in Herne bay for a time, and was I think a member of both NSCC and ACC .. as were many guys ' back in the day ', made it easy to enter lots of closed club events.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-24-2017 at 04:12 AM.

The Mike ..... ?? mentioned above was a good mate of Wayne McMath, who also ran a Cooper 'S' in various meetings in the 1970's, he was quite a quick peddler, lived in Herne bay for a time, and was I think a member of both NSCC and ACC .. as were many guys ' back in the day ', made it easy to lots of closed club events.
    "Back in the day", when motor racing constituted a true sport, most of those from the Auckland area competing, belonged to both clubs and many also to Pukekohe CC for good measure. Even without a cheque book, one could then compete on most weekends. Club fees were not too expensive in spite of the governing body even then being greedy. LOL