Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Not sure of the date - could be 1959 or 1960

Name:  img244 (2).jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  185.4 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Not sure of the date - could be 1959 or 1960

Name:  img244 (2).jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  185.4 KB
    I have the same cutting. It was Sunday, December 13 1959, the day after Bruce McLaren won the United States Grand Prix at Sebring. Not really the day after, due to the time difference, only about 7 or 8 hours later.

Brother and I were there - there was also an Auckland Car Club meeting at Ardmore the previous day, but the family car wasn't always available for motor race jaunts, so I missed that one.

Stu Buchanan

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=Milan Fistonic;68162]Not sure of the date - could be 1959 or 1960

QUOTE]

I have the same cutting. It was Sunday, December 13 1959, the day after Bruce McLaren won the United States Grand Prix at Sebring. Not really the day after, due to the time difference, only about 7 or 8 hours later.

Brother and I were there - there was also an Auckland Car Club meeting at Ardmore the previous day, but family car wasn't always available for motor race trips, so we missed that one.

Stu Buchanan

NSCC 1960 Clubmen meeting the week after the NZIGP - Ardmore

Another piece of NSCC History from Milan Fistonic -[ not sure if posted here already- don't think so !! ]
    *** correction see post #196 = my bad Milan..
    Article from NZ Herald on the Monday January 18th 1960
    Some stalwarts of NSCC there Phil Ornstein, Ken Sager and some of those names became more famous ; I Dawson, A Woolf, D Marwood et al ..
    I would imagine that Trevor Sheffield was there, on the day.

Name:  NSCC #59 Ardmore NSCC Clubmens Jan 1960 M Fistonic .jpg
Views: 936
Size:  106.3 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-19-2020 at 04:30 AM. Reason: correction *** writer error ### 47 ..

NSCC meeting at the Ardmore Club Circuit in 1960

Name:  img280 (2).jpg
Views: 930
Size:  157.1 KB

ACC meeting March 1959 - NSCC competitors mentioned

Thanks to Milan Fistonic for this piece from the " 8 O'CLOCK " the Saturday night Sports Paper - published by the Auckland Star .. remember my Dad rushing off to get it from the local dairy firstly in Herne Bay - when it was early and when we moved to New Lynn, was well after 8 O'Clock.

Some great names here at an event at Ardmore .. I didn't realise until recently that both ACC and NSCC ran events at Ardmore - that it wasn't just the Grand Prix venue ..

Name:  NSCC #65 ACC event Ardmore 14 March 1959 M Fistonich  (640x532) (2).jpg
Views: 863
Size:  142.2 KB

NSCC Races - Little Ardmore Jan 1960 M Fistonic

More from Milan Fistonic, posted on Old New Zealand Motor Racing - Fb page . I am " borrowing " your stuff again, Thanks

" https://www.facebook.com/groups/4293...81897/?fref=nf "

Article from the newspaper 16 January 1960 - could be date of the event.
    Too Young to know !! well was 12 and already into Cars in a big way. Looking at and having Dinky Toys, Matchbox Toys.
    Did meet Jim Sager, Kens Dad in 1967 at the Edendale School Hall at an NSCC meeting and film evening - well before the Mt Richmond Clubrooms.

Name:  NSCC #68 NSCC Little Ardmore Jan 1960 M Fistonic  V2 (640x603).jpg
Views: 876
Size:  182.1 KB

Name:  NSCC #69 NSCC Little Ardmore Jan 1960 p2 v2 M Fistonic  (2).jpg
Views: 855
Size:  173.9 KB

Those are rare photos of the Mermaid which Graeme Meekings had!

NSCC Hillclimb 1967 - The first at Cosseys Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Bob Homewood who competed on the day posted these pages from The Club's magazine " Club Torque ".;
    The article and results.
    Attachment 32184

Attachment 32185

Some pictures ;
    a few well known names and cars ;
    Attachment 32186

Attachment 32187

I has only just joined NSCC in February, when I purchased my first car a 1960 Mini, so unsure if I was there or not.
    Reposting these articles and photos from " Club Torque " of the first Hill Climb at Cosseys Farm, Drury with a photo of " Tomato " one of the cars that achieved FTD .. at 1.minute 1.2 [ 61.2 seconds ] see that later on [ later events ] Ross Hollings in Mini-Max did 54 seconds at some stage.

Here is " Tomato " - with Alan Boyle and a few trophies !!.

Name:  Mini Race # 89 Alan Boyle Tomato 850 with 997 engine A Boyle .jpg
Views: 787
Size:  126.8 KB

Reposting these articles and photos from " Club Torque " of the first Hill Climb at Cosseys Farm, Drury with a photo of " Tomato " one of the cars that achieved FTD .. at 1.minute 1.2 [ 61.2 seconds ] see that later on [ later events ] Ross Hollings in Mini-Max did 54 seconds at some stage.

Here is " Tomato " - with Alan Boyle and a few trophies !!.

Name:  Mini Race # 89 Alan Boyle Tomato 850 with 997 engine A Boyle .jpg
Views: 787
Size:  126.8 KB
    The FTD times were in directly proportion to the amount off cow dung on the staring pad (concrete cowshed entrance) and whether it was dry or wet. Comparison between meetings are highly suspect. I recall on one occasion waiting for what appeared to be hours trying to get traction when driving my 1275 Mini Cooper. Shit of a day for FWD. LOL

FTD or as Trevor says " S**t of a day " STD..

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    The FTD times were in directly proportion to the amount off cow dung on the staring pad (concrete cowshed entrance) and whether it was dry or wet. Comparison between meetings are highly suspect. I recall on one occasion waiting for what appeared to be hours trying to get traction when driving my 1275 Mini Cooper. Shit of a day for FWD. LOL
    Thanks Trevor, remember it well, start uphill, in the Cow Dung then onto the loose metal .. first time for me was in an 850cc Mini in 1971 - next a Mark 3 Sprite '75-76 , then a Triumph GT6 76 - 78, and finally the Triumph TR4A 1978 and in the 1979/80 " Bardahl " series ..

The Track ; posted before - showing the " Cow Dung " start, those sharp turns and there was a big " yump " by the gate near the top. Photo from a Newspaper article, which I still have - it has yellowed over the years [ 1967 - 2018 ].

Name:  NSCC # 80 Cosseys Hill climb article 1967 # The track .jpg
Views: 747
Size:  174.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-31-2018 at 03:11 AM.

As I recall, one of. the Cossey family owned a Riley Brooklands replica and I think later an E type, but was seldom seen within the car club fraternity. He did not compete in the hillclimb except for maybe once.

At the time I was no longer part of the NSCC committee so was not in contact with the Cosseys and this aspect always intrigued me. I had the feeling of a Woolf in sheep's clothing hiding from view.

The " Bugley " Riley - Bugatti Midget- Arthur Dexter, A J & Ron Roycroft, Jack Boot.

NSCC, was formed during the second world war - believe or not and from what I have gleaned from my Uncle Albert Edward " Eddie " Dowding, initial discussions took place on the Ferries bewteen, Auckland City and the North Shore jetty's, Devonport, Northcote and Birkenhead. Eddie lived at the time in Herne Bay and caught the Ferry to Northcote to visit his girlfrend. amongst the group initially involved were, Phil Seabrook, Alan Pybus, Laurie Powell and others, Ron Roycroft was a member in the late 1940's too !!. Eddie Dowding and his brother-in-law Jack Boot both belonged, Eddie was Club Captain in the early days / years.

Eddie is still alive and well at 95, [ Eddie passed away aged 98 in May 2018 ] and many years ago gave me a few photos on NSCC and some events.
    Here are a few to start

Attachment 29131
    NSCC Concours 1947 -

Attachment 29132
    NSCC Helensville Mud Trial 1949

Attachment 29133
    Jack Boot Riley Special - raced at a Cinder Track in Huntly - year not known but late 1940's.

As I find more will post them.

Please add to the thread.
    Have found [ located ! ] a couple more photos of the Bugley - and a bit more of its History.

" .The car is / was known as the " Bugley " - Bugatti chassis cut down and the Riley engine, the man sitting in the car at the time is my Late Uncle Jack Boot, and the car in the race is being driven by Ron Roycroft who drove it for Jack Boot the car was with the Roycrofts both A J and Ron for a while.-previously belonging to Arthur Dexter. known as the Bugatti-Riley or Riley-Bugatti Midget, depending on whose info you read.. some of this from my Uncle Eddie Dowding, Jack Brother-in-law, Ed passed away early this years aged 98 . Jack passed away in the later 1940's around 46/47. I believe.. There is mention of the car in the Graham Vercoe Books, and also in Scott Thomson's Biography of Ron Roycroft. "
    My Late Uncle Ed believed that Jack acquired the car " not later than 1943 " - note he wrote for me back in 1991.
    Arthur Dexter had A J Roycroft build [ cut the down to a Midget ] the car in 1937. It was quite successful with both Dexter and Roycroft.
    This is now found to be incorrect.
    Arthur Dexter [ R A Dexter the son of R A Dexter ] built the car by cutting down a Bugatti T23 Chassis that was owned by A J Roycroft and raced by him at Muriwai - more to come on the cars History and the connection with Jack Boot then Morrie Proctor

Here two photos of the car at Huntly with Ron Roycroft driving, the other car is Ron Rutherford in the RGR Special another Midget - photographer unknown but the two car photo appears in Graham Vercoes Book.
    The photos date from 1944 - 45 period.

Name:  NSCC early years #7 Riley Bugatti special U59 Ron Roycroft at Huntly 1945.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  NSCC early years #8 Riley Bugatti special U59 Ron Roycroft at Huntly 1944 Mal Parsons .jpg
Views: 805
Size:  93.7 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-15-2021 at 11:53 PM. Reason: more info #### 47

ACC Gold Star Hill Climb - a few TRS members running.

Not only TRS members " Trevor S Ross H and Kevin H " and more - and a lot NSCC members too !!

From Milan Fistonic - posted on " Gentleman Jim Richards "Fb page .

Photos
    the drivers
    " Clockwise from top left. G22, Jim Boyd; B30, Jim Richards;E34, Shack Manon; H55, Arthur Hopkins; A10, Ted Dutch; H14, Peter Bruin. "

Name:  MR Pix Pukekohe #205 ACC Gold Star Hill Climb photos  M Fistonic .jpg
Views: 760
Size:  114.5 KB

The results - entry list

Name:  MR Pix Pukekohe #207 ACC Gold Star Hill Climb results M Fistonic  (415x550).jpg
Views: 715
Size:  156.6 KB

The Bugley and the RGS Midgets - the photo and a bit more .

Showing the photo again - It appears in Allan Dick's column [ pages ] in the latest Classic Driver magazine - his column is called " Burning a Grey Pipe ".
    Notation with the photo [ quote ]
    " Hennings Speedway in Auckland or is it Gloucester Park ? No indication which,but in the thirties and Ron Roycroft in the Riley Midget goes under one of the Sutherland Brothers who is very determined as he pumps up pressure in the fuel tank. The crowd is close ".

Allan has noted elsewhere, [ copied in notes below ] that he was unaware of car Club activity during the war - with #1, Northern Sports Car Club starting in 1942 and being formally recorded Officially as October 1943, and the racing at Huntly in 1944 and 1945. We all learn .. Sadly cannot ask people involved at that time as not many still with us.

The RGS is now owned by Mal Parsons and was originally Ron or Merv Sutherlands Car
    Mal writes " Allan [ Dick ] I did some research & spent a couple of days in the Huntly library a year or 3 back & was able to read the local papers report on the AGM then the first meeting at the track. Merv Sutherland is the driver of 75. I acquired the photo off the previous owner in 2002 "

- The Bugley is as it appears was when Jack Boot owned it and Ron raced for him - the car was built originally by A J Roycroft for Arthur Dexter in 1937
    *** - correction - Car was created by Arthur R A Dexter from the Bugatti T32 chassis of A J Roycroft that Dexter cut down and then fitted a Riley motor - there is a photo from Ron Roycroft collection in the book " Flat to the Boards " ( FttB ) by A R E " Dick Messenger [ the late Dick Messenger ] and Douglas E Wood - published in 1985 - Dick Messenger passed away in 1980 and Douglas Wood completed the book from his research # photo of the car when Arthur Dexter built it now attached Has Race #2 on it as in later photos
    Name:  Jack Boot #030 Bugley Bugatti Riley Special #2 Arthur Dexter Flat to the Boards book Photo R Roy.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  88.2 KB

[ new information added 13th September 2021 ]

and looked a bit different then, compared with the photo taken in 1944.

There is a photo in either the Scott Thomson Roycroft book or one of Graham Vercoe's books, [ away from my archives today - will correct if required ] of the Bugley as Dexter had it in the late 1930's. ** photo from FttB above.

The cover of the FttB book thanks to " Hotrod1 " for the recently acquired copy

Name:  Motoring Books #019 Flat to the Boards Messenger - Wood 1985 fr cover B Buchanan copy IMG_202109.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  163.5 KB

I believe that the photo is actually at Huntly where the Bugley often raced and probably 1944 at the earliest.
    Jack Boot - according to his brother in law Eddie Dowding [ my late Uncle - they both were my Uncles actually married sisters ], Jack purchased the car no later than 1943 - a comment he wrote on a piece of paper that he put in my copy of the Graham Vercoe book [ It is still in there at the page with the Bugley details ].
    Mal Parsons as noted now owns the Sutherland car and believes it is at Huntly in 1944 . Mal is a member of the Vintage Speedway Drivers Club.
    Mal's comment when he posted the photo
    " Bottom pic is taken at the Huntly speedway March 1944 (I think) I will add pic of it racing against the car i now own. Photographer unknown. " the below pic is the one Mal added ;

Allan Dick responded " l posted this photo somewhere recently . I thought it was Hennings Speedway and l thought the other car was one of the Sutherland brothers. I do not know who the photographer is either but l have had the photograph for a long time. It is the second time this week l have been surprised to learn there was motor racing activity in NZ during the war. "

Name:  NSCC early years #8 Riley Bugatti special U59 Ron Roycroft at Huntly 1944 Mal Parsons .jpg
Views: 693

2021 - now have a copy of the book, " Flat to the Boards " only took ten years from knowing about it in 2011.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-30-2021 at 06:33 AM. Reason: corrections Photo more info ### 47 ..

Midgets and a Healey - a connection

Showing the photo again - It appears in Allan Dick's column [ pages ] in the latest Classic Driver magazine - his column is called " Burning a Grey Pipe ".
    Notation with the photo [ quote ]
    " Hennings Speedway in Auckland or is it Gloucester Park ? No indication which,but in the thirties and Ron Roycroft in the Riley Midget goes under one of the Sutherland Brothers who is very determined as he pumps up pressure in the fuel tank. The crowd is close ".

Allan has noted elsewhere, [ copied in notes below ] that he was unaware of car Club activity during the war - with #1, Northern Sports Car Club starting in 1942 and being formally recorded Officially as October 1943, and the racing at Huntly in 1944 and 1945. We all learn .. Sadly cannot ask people involved at that time as not many still with us.

The RGS is now owned by Mal Parsons and was originally Ron or Merv Sutherlands Car
    Mal writes " Allan [ Dick ] I did some research & spent a couple of days in the huntly library a year or 3 back & was able to read the local papers report on the AGM then the first meeting at the track. Merv Sutherland is the driver of 75. I acquired the photo off the previous owner in 2002 "

- The Bugley is as it appears was when Jack Boot owned it and Ron raced for him - the car was built originally by A J Roycroft for Arthur Dexter in 1937 and looked a bit different then. There is a photo in either the Scott Thomson Roycroft book or one of Graham Vercoe's books, [ away from my archives today - will correct if required ] of the Bugley as Dexter had it in the late 1930's.

I believe that the photo is actually at Huntly where the Bugley often raced and probably 1944 at the earliest.
    Jack Boot - according to his brother in law Eddie Dowding [ my late Uncle - they both were my Uncles actually married sisters ], Jack purchased the car no later than 1943 - a comment he wrote on a piece of paper that he put in my copy of the Graham Vercoe book [ It is still in there at the page with the Bugley details ].
    Mal Parsons as noted now owns the Sutherland car and believes it is at Huntly in 1944 . Mal is a member of the Vintage Speedway Drivers Club.
    Mal's comment when he posted the photo
    " Bottom pic is taken at the Huntly speedway March 1944 (I think) I will add pic of it racing against the car i now own. Photographer unknown. " the below pic is the one Mal added ;

Allan Dick responded " l posted this photo somewhere recently . I thought it was Hennings Speedway and l thought the other car was one of the Sutherland brothers. I do not know who the photographer is either but l have had the photograph for a long time. It is the second time this week l have been surprised to learn there was motor racing activity in NZ during the war. "

Views: 693
    Some more information - from Mal Parsons who now owns the restored car #75 the Sutherland car..
    Huntly Speedway opened in 1944 as seen on this programme cover
    The event run by the " Huntly Motor Racing Club " on 12th March 1944 - will try to find if Mal has the entries listings.

Name:  NSCC #103 Huntly Speedway 1944 programme -Bugley Mal Parsons .jpg
Views: 648
Size:  190.9 KB

Mals car #75 in a group at the recent " Galaxy of Cars " in Auckland 2018

Name:  NSCC #104 Vintage Speedway Midgets Mal Parsons 2018 .jpg
Views: 704
Size:  113.6 KB

As an aside - When I sold my Austin Healey 100 - the 1953 BN1 in 1995 [ having purchased it in 1982 ] It went to one of the Elliott Boys, Lance Elliott a panelbeater of some note and restorer of a few Speedway Midgets.
    Lance restored my Healey, but I have not seen the result.

As a result of being in contact with Mal Parsons I have found out that Lance passed away recently, as had his wife. Brother Roger Elliott a talented Motor Trimmer Upholsterer, ran a business in Newton beside Lance's Panelbeating workshop in Newton - From memory the two businesses were at the blind end of Abbey Street, of Gundry Street which Abbey St crossed..
    Roger and Mal are still in contact. Am hoping to find out more of the #75 and other Midgets, and the whereabouts of " My ALEX the RED " the RED " LX 100 " ..
    Seen here in Havelock North - outside the Motor Camp / Holiday Park that the AH Car Club of New Zealand held its Easter 1984 Rally, the car had been tidied up bodywise, but still on the 14inch Hotwire Mags and the " ID9783 " Registration that dated from 1977 when re-registered and put back on the road by Roy Cooney from Cooks Beach, Coromandel.

Name:  My Cars #113 Gig Healey  1984 Napier Rally outside Motor Camp CCI28042016 (800x525) (2).jpg
Views: 694
Size:  165.0 KB

Side shot with my American Mate Wayne Brown in the car at the Gymkhana ..

Name:  My Cars #114 Big Healey 1984 Napier Rally Wayne Brown in my Healey v2, CCI28042016_0002 (750x502.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  163.9 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-21-2018 at 10:28 PM.

This is a picture of Ron Sutherland in his midget from a Wheelspin magazine dated April 1953.

Name:  img249 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  169.5 KB

Name:  img249 (3).jpg
Views: 679
Size:  146.4 KB

Ron Sutherland in his midget from a Wheelspin magazine dated April 1953.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    This is a picture of Ron Sutherland in his midget from a Wheelspin magazine dated April 1953.

Name:  img249 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  169.5 KB

Name:  img249 (3).jpg
Views: 679
Size:  146.4 KB
    Milan, with your permission will pass that image and text on to Mal Parsons - the cars current owner.
    Cheers and merry Christmas
    Roger D.

NSCC held the first " Club Circuit " meeting22 Oct 1966 This from ACC meeting 12 Nov.

Another item from Milan Fistonic - from ACC's " Bulletin " **

The first time the Club Circuit was used in October 1966 - when the track was added to by a section from the " Elbow / Stables " corner, just after the start, to the " Railway "corner - that section was run in reverse when club circuit was used.
    The Northern Sports Car Club ran the first meeting in October - this is from the second meeting - the First by Auckland Car Club
    [ correction ** I got my details confused ]

Cars BIG and small, from Mini's and Sprites to the huge Chevrolet Impala, and all sorts in between.

Name:  NSCC #108 Club Circuit 1st meeting photo's 12111966 Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 602
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  NSCC #107 Club Circuit 1st meeting results 12111966 Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 578
Size:  124.8 KB

The 1967 New Zealand International Grand Prix used the the smaller circuit 1.75 miles - created when the link was completed. previously the now " Full " circuit was 2.2 miles.

I gave all my Blue covered magazines to be recycled in about 1984/85 - was a member from February 1967 until end of the 1979/80 Club year but never had this issue, as before my time.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-31-2018 at 04:16 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

NO Roger. it's not from NSCC's Club Torque. It's from the December 1966 Auckland Car Club Bulletin.

The Pukekohe Club Circuit was opened in 1966. NSCC held a meeting on October 22 and the Auckland Car Club's first use of the track was on November 12. The results and some photos from that day.

Sorry I didn't make it clear in my original post that it was the ACC meeting in November.