Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another page from Club Torque - showing a " yump " on Cosseys Hill and a rather sad Mitsubishi as rallied by Morrie Chandler former President [current at the time ] of NSCC and a senior member of MANZ/MSNZ in recent years.

Name:  NSCC #114 Cosseys Farm and Rally crash -April 1977 Club Torque Graham Woods .jpg
Views: 513
Size:  93.2 KB

again from Graham Woods archives-

[ I dumped my 1967 - 1980 Club Torques back in 1995 when shifting from a large old house with the double garage and a carport to an apartment with a single carport only - has to reduce my cars ( sold the AH 100 ) to only two, an MGB GT and Daihatsu 4WD and my collection by hundreds of magazines - ERC knows the problem ]
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-13-2020 at 03:59 AM.

NSCC Helensville 1946 the Winter Trial - Jack Boot Memorial Cup

Three photos of the cars outside the Helensville Hall - two from Arthur Siddall albums - courtesy Duncan Fox, the last from my Uncle Eddie Dowding's own photos.

Name:  NSCC #413 Winter Trial Helensville 1946 Photo 1 Colvin Clarke Hillam 2 Roycroft Hodge Duncan Fox.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  145.3 KB

Name:  NSCC #414 Winter Trial Helensville 1946 Photo 2 Roycroft - Photo 1 trio Duncan Fox  (2) (800x564.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  135.6 KB

Name:  NSCC #3 Early years  Mud Trial Helensville 1949 Singer & Riley CCI26072016_0002 (680x516).jpg
Views: 509
Size:  131.4 KB
    disregard the date on the photo - we now know was 1946.. The Riley 9 Kestrel just seen to the left
    Right - My Uncle Ed with pipe in the Riley and his wife Una as Navigator - Una turned 100 in January 2020.
    Left - Ken Hemus and a Mate in the Singer

Ron Roycroft won the event.

The full pages of the Album.

Name:  NSCC #405 Winter Trial Helensville 1946 ! 1 Colvin Clarke Hillam 2 Roycroft Hodge Duncan Fox  (9.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  170.9 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-11-2020 at 12:14 AM.

It is interesting to note that Ron Roycroft is wearing motor cycle clothing i.e. leather jacket and extendable cap. Something he continued with throughout his motor-sport activities. He was never one for the traditional flat cap and duffle coat. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    NSCC, was formed during the second world war - believe or not and from what I have gleaned from my Uncle Albert Edward " Eddie " Dowding, initial discussions took place on the Ferries between, Auckland City and the North Shore jetty's, Devonport, Northcote and Birkenhead.
    Eddie lived at the time in Herne Bay and caught the Ferry to Northcote to visit his girlfrend who became his wife in June 1942.

Amongst the group initially involved were, Ces Hodge, Jack Boot [ Ed's brother - in - law ] Phil Seabrook, Alan Pybus, Vern Clarke Jock Aitken and others
    Lawrie Powell [ the well known Ford V8 driver and later the " famous " Starter at Pukekohe ] and others, including Ron Roycroft, and Ralph Watson were members in the late 1940's too !!.

I knew Jock Aitken - he was the mechanic on my first car in 1967, and Alan Pybus - was a great mate of Ed's whom he stayed in touch with until recently when they both passed away.
    I have met both Ron Roycroft [ at Glen Murray and at the Pukekohe swap meeting ] and Ralph Watson, a visitor to my house in Herne Bay [ when Lyle Chambers was my flatmate and had a BSA Special ] on several occasions to look at Lyle's BSA, arriving in his own BSA Special.

In some later photo's at Mackies Rest on a trial in 1946, is Ralph in his 1933 Singer Roadster with my Uncle Ed and his wife Una in their Morris 8 Tourer

Eddie Dowding and his brother-in-law Jack Boot both belonged, Eddie was Club Captain in the early days 1944-45 and Second President in 1945-46 years. Verne Clark was president 1943-45
    The Club was formally incorporated in October 1943, but meetings [ informal club gatherings ] took place from 1942 on.
    New information April 2020 [ thread started in May 2015 ]
    Have recently been given images of 30 pages of a Photo Album created by Arthur Siddall with photos of various NSCC events found by Duncan Fox at the Whitford Tip - there are around 130 photos covering the period 1942 - first gathering, through to 1949.
    Am gradually editing and sorting them to group in chronological order and putting the events together

Eddie is still alive and well at 95, [ Eddie passed away aged 98 in May 2018 ] and many years ago gave me a few photos on NSCC and some events.

Here are a few to start

Name:  0NSCC Concours TRS NSCC Concour TRS #2.7-05-2015 01;51;51PM (640x337).jpg
Views: 6748
Size:  77.1 KB
    NSCC Concours 1947 -

Name:  Ed and Una's Riley with others Helensville Mud Trial 1949 . 17-05-2015 02;03;24PM.jpg
Views: 18076
Size:  162.5 KB
    NSCC Helensville Mud Trial 1949 [ now believed to be 1946 - from new photos uncovered of the event. ]
    Photo from the same event - Outside the Helensville Hall at the end of the trial with Ron Roycroft in his car

Name:  Jack Boot - Riley Special  cinder track Huntly mid 1940's #2 17-05-2015 02;16;37PM (640x475).jpg
Views: 15023
Size:  141.2 KB
    Jack Boot Riley Special - raced at a Cinder Track in Huntly - year not known but late 1940's.**
    Now believed to be 1944 so mid 1940's

As I find more will post them.

Please add to the thread.
    Lots of new stuff to come so reposting Post #1 ..watch this space.

Austin 7 Supercharged Monoposto

A Famous Car - owned by a few in New Zealand pre-war and into the late 1940's

These photos of the Car from 1946 - when owned by George Sellars
    First photo at Muriwai in March 1946 - The Beach Races
    A collection of photos of the Car in July 1946 at Orewa Beach Races
    [ Images form the Arthur Siddall collection - provided by Duncan Fox.]

The photo of the engine is interesting as have my own copy of it from my late Uncle Ed Dowding which I thought was a Riley as was with his photo of the " Bugley " - The Bugatti-Riley or Riley Bugatti - of A J Roycroft, Ron Roycroft and my Uncle Jack Boot

Muriwai .

Name:  NSCC #441 S C Austin 7 George Sellars Muriwai Beach March 1946  Duncan Fox  (800x598) (2).jpg
Size:  85.4 KB

Orewa

Name:  NSCC #442 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 front 3-4 Lhs Duncan Fox  (800x598) .jpg
Views: 460
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  NSCC #443 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 side Duncan Fox  (800x598) (2).jpg
Views: 446
Size:  38.6 KB
    Name:  NSCC #444 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 front 3-4 Rhs Duncan Fox  (800x598) .jpg
Views: 459
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  NSCC #445 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 engine cockpit Duncan Fox  (800x598).jpg
Views: 471
Size:  41.9 KB

a couple more to follow

Apologies for the sizes of the photo's - will try to get a bigger version [ 6 of them were on one page of the Arthur Siddall Album - the last 4 here and two more ]

Some details of previous owners to follow;

Austin Seven special - supercharged Monposto - part two

A couple more photos from Orewa

Name:  NSCC #446 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 push start Duncan Fox  (800x598) (3).jpg
Views: 464
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  NSCC #447 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 The Race Duncan Fox  (800x598) (3).jpg
Views: 480
Size:  39.5 KB

Details from the Album - the previous Owners ;

Name:  NSCC #448 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 Album details Duncan Fox  (800x598) .jpg
Views: 460
Size:  33.6 KB

The montage of Six Photos - as received;

Name:  NSCC #449 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 set of 6 photos Duncan Fox  (800x598.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  112.8 KB

The Engine and Cockpit - from my own larger print of the photo.

Name:  NSCC #452 Austin 7 S-c Spl 1946 Orewa engine R Dowding copy CCI26072016_0004 (2) (800x492).jpg
Views: 456
Size:  174.4 KB

The Supercharged Austin Seven.

It would appear that two different cars are being referred to. The famous supercharged Austin is illustrated in “My early Motor Racing Engineering” here:-

http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net

It will be seen that there are clearly differences between the images.

I have a dim recollection of advice that two cars were imported pre-war by Seabrook Fowlds (Spellin?) Auckland, Austin agents, and one could have had an engine transplant. It would be interesting to investigate the history involved.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 04-15-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Austin Seven special - supercharged Monoposto - more information

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    It would appear that two different cars are being referred to. The famous supercharged Austin is illustrated in “My early Motor Racing Engineering” here:-

It will be seen that there are clearly differences between the images.

I have a dim recollection of advice that two cars were imported pre-war by Seabrook Fowlds (Spellin?) Auckland, Austin agents, and one could have had an engine transplant. It would be interesting to investigate the history involved.
    Trevor, thank you for the comments - looking at the pictures taken only a few months apart the car was a light colour at Muriwai, and darker colour at Orewa where the set of photos were taken.
    The photo I have had since the 1970's is in the darker paint.

Did George Sellars Own or Drive both Cars ?
    Or was it repainted - looks a bit scruffy at Muriwai.
    One of the Austins was driven by George Smith - photos appear in other publications.

The comment
    " It would be interesting to investigate the history involved. "
    Indeed, may have to expand the search to some of the " Vintage Car Club " guys around the Country.

Will go and have another look at the " Ralph Watson " link you attached.

More comment will follow.

Appreciate the " inputs " as Ken H would say.

Thanks, Trevor.

Post Script;
    An image from Trevor Sheffield article on Ralph Watson- show Ron Roycroft in the Austin Seven - looks the same as the latter photos and the one of the Engine and Cockpit - that photo shown again

Name:  NSCC #452 Austin 7 S-c Spl 1946 Orewa engine R Dowding copy CCI26072016_0004 (3) (800x492).jpg
Views: 531
Size:  174.4 KB

The car quote " Supercharged Austin Seven No.1, Ron Roycroft. 1949 Wigram 105 mile, Championship Road Race. "

The photo won't upload - will try later.

Number Plate looks to be " 216 775 " and with Black letters on a light background

Very different from the car in this photo though
    Number Plate " 224 ... " White letters on a dark background

Name:  NSCC #441 S C Austin 7 George Sellars Muriwai Beach March 1946  Duncan Fox  (800x598) (2).jpg
Views: 577
Size:  85.4 KB

The other car - similar view.

Name:  NSCC #444 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 front 3-4 Rhs Duncan Fox  (800x598) .jpg
Views: 541
Size:  39.7 KB

Interesting as " Number Plates " would have changed in July 1946 - the Muriwai event being earlier in the year on the previous issue plate.

The Plates
    1941 - 1946.

Name:  NZ Number plates #946, 1941 - 46 crop R Armstrong .jpg
Views: 495
Size:  46.5 KB

1946 - 1951

Name:  NZ Number plates #951, 1946 - 51 crop R Armstrong .jpg
Size:  46.8 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-15-2020 at 09:07 AM.

The information I have is that there were only three "Works Supercharged Austin Sevens" and only one came to New Zealand in 1935. Of the other two, one was destroyed by fire in South Africa and the other was a victim of the Blitz in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    The information I have is that there were only three "Works Supercharged Austin Sevens" and only one came to New Zealand in 1935. Of the other two, one was destroyed by fire in South Africa and the other was a victim of the Blitz in London.
    From where did you obtain this information ?

In order to further confuse the issue, refer to page 16 in Graham Vercoe's book. LOL

The "famous" Austin was owned as well as driven by George Smith. It would appear likely that two different cars are involved. Note that the dashboards are clearly different.

# Refer to my book "Ralph Watson Special Engineer for photo and article by Ralph Watson, "My Years of Motor Racing Engineering".

Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 04-17-2020 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Missing sentence added #

Supercharged Austin 7 Monoposto and other matters

The "famous" Austin was owned as well as driven by George Smith. It would appear likely that two different cars are involved. Note that the dashboards are clearly different.
    Thanks Trevor,
    Yes, looks like two different cars as you state and the light coloured one looks very untidy, the darker one in much better condition.

Quite surprising the number of events when there would have been petrol rationing,understood that continued until around 1950

Have been working on the photos and most are too small to show individually - so will post in the pages.
    From the details in the Album have photos from around a dozen events and the names of over 50 Drivers / Members and that is just from the 1940's.
    Names that my Late Uncle Ed mentioned to me feature and have details of the cars they owned at the time

From the photos may be able to identify some of the Cars and Owners in this photo from the 1947 Concours D'Elegance as displayed on the Card Frame
    Note that there are a few WAGS in the passenger seats but no drivers - presume the Boys walked up the Hill with the Photographer

Name:  NSCC 1947 #578 Early years Concours October 1947 Cornwall Park (1024x576) Ed Dowding .jpg
Views: 494
Size:  172.7 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-16-2020 at 05:48 AM.

# Refer to my book "Ralph Watson Special Engineer for photo and article by Ralph Watson, "My Years of Motor Racing Engineering".

Trevor, I looked at the photos and I think its possibly the same car that has had a rebuild with some side skirts a paint job and the Dash reformatted. In the early photo the car is rather tatty, also I see its running a D plate (D15) in the later Orewa pics.

NSCC The Early Years - 1942

1942 the year Northern Sports Car Club began, after those discussions on the North Shore to / from Auckland Ferries.

These are from the Arthur Siddall - albums.
    In some of the later photos Arthur is seen as a Competitor.

First event was a run to Titirangi, It is not recorded where they started.
    Second photo is at Takapuna not known if the same event but is dated 1942.
    Name:  NSCC 1942 #521 Early events 1942 Titirangi - First run 1942 Takapuna Duncan Fox  (765x1024) (3).jpg
Views: 483
Size:  184.4 KB

Another photo at Titirangi along with photo from Helensville in 1946 - The Winter Trial - the " Jack Boot Cup "event.
    Name:  NSCC 1942 #522 First gathering 1942 - 1946 Helensville Ford Morgan Duncan Fox .jpg (598x800) (3).jpg
Views: 476
Size:  124.5 KB

My own copies of the photos - Cars at Titirangi described as First event and was a " Paper Chase ".
    Reminds me of a Hash House Harriers event where we used Flour " from a " Dribble Dropper " [ a large Tin with holes punched in the bottom - on a stick, which you bumped on the ground to drop dribbles of flour, along with chalk for arrows of direction of travel - and sometimes Sawdust.

Ron Roycroft used Sawdust in what was described as a " Hare and Hounds " event -usually a paper chase " One day Ron was designated ' hare 'in the Brooklands Riley. Instead of paper he turned up with a bag of sawdust to mark his course "
    - the competitors " ' hounds ' complained that they had to keep stopping as only close inspection revealed the difference between sawdust and horse manure ".

Quotes from the Scott Thomson book " Up to Speed " - The Roycroft years in New Zealand motor racing " underlined.

The photos from Ed Dowding's collection [ posted before - hopefully better clarity than the Arthur Siddall ones ]

Name:  NSCC #12 Early Years 1942 gathering Titirangi CCI26062019 (800x548).jpg
Views: 501
Size:  161.9 KB

Name:  NSCC #14 Early Years 1942 Paper Chase CCI26062019_0001 (800x534).jpg
Views: 517
Size:  141.4 KB

Trevor Sheffield - the Scott Thomson book are two photos of the Austin 7 Monoposto
    - one when newly acquired with Ron sitting in it described as thus " ready for a repaint " - It is in a dark colour.
    - the second in a starting line up at Seagrove in 1947 - 13th April 1947 the frist Seagrove meeting and
    " The Austin Racer resplendent in blue paint "
    The grid is Ron Austin 7, Jack Brewer in a Midget style car, the Riley Bugatti ' Bugley ', Morgan, Riley and Frazer-Nash - they are beside a large late 1930's American Tourer which I presume was the Pace or Official Track car

I am not involving the colour of the car and am referring to the difference in physical appearance.

I am not involving the colour of the car and am referring to the difference in physical appearance.
    Appreciate that Trevor, the photos are of the darker coloured car - the one that looks tidy.
    George Sellars seems to have driven both cars .

The car being described in 1946 with George Sellars as being ex- Seabrook Fowlds ex- George Smith ex - Jack Mackay.
    Ron driving the car in April 1947 at Seagrove, and at Wigram in January 1949.
    - Wigram 1949 - your photo in the Ralph Watson Science of the web article
    Car must have passed from George Sellars to Ron Roycroft in late 1946 - early 1947

Cheers Trevor. Thanks for your information as always.

"your photo in the Ralph Watson Science of the web article" ???

Unfortunately through me trying to record a hot address, my previous post was not fully published. I have edited and now added:-

Refer to my book "Ralph Watson Special Engineer for photo and article by Ralph Watson, "My Years of Motor Racing Engineering". http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net

However in spite of of my negligence we appear to be referring to the same photo. You will have to take into account that I am one eyed, and that eye is not the best and viewing this even very large monitor, is becoming a chore.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 04-17-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Post-war, I never heard the famous car being referred to using “Monoposto” rather than “Single seat”. Furthermore Herb Gilroy was the only one I recall mentioning “Rubber Duck” and that was during a discussion concerning its handling features. In general discussion post-war it was usually referred to correctly as “The Brooklands Austin Seven”.

Photographs I have turned up show that the car displayed registration plates:-
    272.940 (Herb Gilroy) and 216-775 (Ron Roycroft)

I hope that this is of some help.

Post-war, I never heard the famous car being referred to using “Monoposto” rather than “Single seat”. Furthermore Herb Gilroy was the only one I recall mentioning “Rubber Duck” and that was during a discussion concerning its handling features. In general discussion post-war it was usually referred to correctly as “The Brooklands Austin Seven”.

Photographs I have turned up show that the car displayed registration plates:-
    272.940 (Herb Gilroy) and 216-775 (Ron Roycroft)

I hope that this is of some help.
    Trevor your information " I hope that this is of some help " It certainly is - in the Photo album by Arthur Siddall he calls it a " Monoposto " - appreciate the time and effort that you put into your book and keeping the late Ralph Watson's information from being lost.

The photo at Wigram 1949 has the plate 216-775 - the one black numbers on a dark yellow background with the " hyphen " between the two sets of 3 numbers - the 1946 - 1951 series.
    I must look for photos with the Herb Gilroy plate 272.940 and see if I can decipher the plates when George Sellars owned / drove the Austin Sevens.
    Have seen other photos of the car Herb Gilroy named " Rubber Duck " one I think was a Hill Climb at Mt Eden, and Laurie Powell was there in the Ford B4, and couple of Midget Style Racers too.
    Laurie features in a couple of the photos from the Arthur Siddall collection - racing at Seagrove.

Thanks again for adding to the story, I am learning a lot and helping to get the photos and information in order, and chronologically too !.
    Cheers

OK Roger,

The car was not actually named "rubber Duck" by Herb Gilroy. This was the nick name given to the R-type Austins during their hay-days in England and which may have started through the naming of a single car.

As I se it, the three album photos you have posted do not illustrate the NZ famous Brooklands, Works, Austin. A confused article was included in the Graham Vercoe book and I would say that the confusion indicates a mix up and that there was more than one car imported. Ralph Watson was highly critical of the Vercoe article.

The memory of a long ago conversation including a car with a Riley engine conversion, keeps ringing in my head, and this would line up with your three photos.

I am having a beer right mow so, a hearty "cheers!"