Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

Austin Seven special - supercharged Monoposto - more information

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    It would appear that two different cars are being referred to. The famous supercharged Austin is illustrated in “My early Motor Racing Engineering” here:-

http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net

It will be seen that there are clearly differences between the images.

I have a dim recollection of advice that two cars were imported pre-war by Seabrook Fowlds (Spellin?) Auckland, Austin agents, and one could have had an engine transplant. It would be interesting to investigate the history involved.
    Trevor, thank you for the comments - looking at the pictures taken only a few months apart the car was a light colour at Muriwai, and darker colour at Orewa where the set of photos were taken.
    The photo I have had since the 1970's is in the darker paint.

Did George Sellars Own or Drive both Cars ?
    Or was it repainted - looks a bit scruffy at Muriwai.
    One of the Austins was driven by George Smith - photos appear in other publications.

The comment
    " It would be interesting to investigate the history involved. "
    Indeed, may have to expand the search to some of the " Vintage Car Club " guys around the Country.

Will go and have another look at the " Ralph Watson " link you attached.

More comment will follow.

Appreciate the " inputs " as Ken H would say.

Thanks, Trevor.

Post Script;
    An image from Trevor Sheffield article on Ralph Watson- show Ron Roycroft in the Austin Seven - looks the same as the latter photos and the one of the Engine and Cockpit - that photo shown again

Name:  NSCC #452 Austin 7 S-c Spl 1946 Orewa engine R Dowding copy CCI26072016_0004 (3) (800x492).jpg
Views: 509
Size:  174.4 KB

The car quote " Supercharged Austin Seven No.1, Ron Roycroft. 1949 Wigram 105 mile, Championship Road Race. "

The photo won't upload - will try later.

Number Plate looks to be " 216 775 " and with Black letters on a light background

Very different from the car in this photo though
    Number Plate " 224 ... " White letters on a dark background

Name:  NSCC #441 S C Austin 7 George Sellars Muriwai Beach March 1946  Duncan Fox  (800x598) (2).jpg
Views: 558
Size:  85.4 KB

The other car - similar view.

Name:  NSCC #444 Orewa Beach July 1946 George Sellars S-C Austin 7 front 3-4 Rhs Duncan Fox  (800x598) .jpg
Views: 521
Size:  39.7 KB

Interesting as " Number Plates " would have changed in July 1946 - the Muriwai event being earlier in the year on the previous issue plate.

The Plates
    1941 - 1946.

Name:  NZ Number plates #946, 1941 - 46 crop R Armstrong .jpg
Views: 474
Size:  46.5 KB

1946 - 1951

Name:  NZ Number plates #951, 1946 - 51 crop R Armstrong .jpg
Views: 479
Size:  46.8 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-15-2020 at 09:07 AM.

The "famous" Austin was owned as well as driven by George Smith. It would appear likely that two different cars are involved. Note that the dashboards are clearly different.

# Refer to my book "Ralph Watson Special Engineer for photo and article by Ralph Watson, "My Years of Motor Racing Engineering".

Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 04-17-2020 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Missing sentence added #

Supercharged Austin 7 Monoposto and other matters

The "famous" Austin was owned as well as driven by George Smith. It would appear likely that two different cars are involved. Note that the dashboards are clearly different.
    Thanks Trevor,
    Yes, looks like two different cars as you state and the light coloured one looks very untidy, the darker one in much better condition.

Quite surprising the number of events when there would have been petrol rationing,understood that continued until around 1950

Have been working on the photos and most are too small to show individually - so will post in the pages.
    From the details in the Album have photos from around a dozen events and the names of over 50 Drivers / Members and that is just from the 1940's.
    Names that my Late Uncle Ed mentioned to me feature and have details of the cars they owned at the time

From the photos may be able to identify some of the Cars and Owners in this photo from the 1947 Concours D'Elegance as displayed on the Card Frame
    Note that there are a few WAGS in the passenger seats but no drivers - presume the Boys walked up the Hill with the Photographer

Name:  NSCC 1947 #578 Early years Concours October 1947 Cornwall Park (1024x576) Ed Dowding .jpg
Views: 472
Size:  172.7 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-16-2020 at 05:48 AM.

NSCC The Early Years - 1942

1942 the year Northern Sports Car Club began, after those discussions on the North Shore to / from Auckland Ferries.

These are from the Arthur Siddall - albums.
    In some of the later photos Arthur is seen as a Competitor.

First event was a run to Titirangi, It is not recorded where they started.
    Second photo is at Takapuna not known if the same event but is dated 1942.
    Name:  NSCC 1942 #521 Early events 1942 Titirangi - First run 1942 Takapuna Duncan Fox  (765x1024) (3).jpg
Views: 466
Size:  184.4 KB

Another photo at Titirangi along with photo from Helensville in 1946 - The Winter Trial - the " Jack Boot Cup "event.
    Name:  NSCC 1942 #522 First gathering 1942 - 1946 Helensville Ford Morgan Duncan Fox .jpg (598x800) (3).jpg
Views: 461
Size:  124.5 KB

My own copies of the photos - Cars at Titirangi described as First event and was a " Paper Chase ".
    Reminds me of a Hash House Harriers event where we used Flour " from a " Dribble Dropper " [ a large Tin with holes punched in the bottom - on a stick, which you bumped on the ground to drop dribbles of flour, along with chalk for arrows of direction of travel - and sometimes Sawdust.

Ron Roycroft used Sawdust in what was described as a " Hare and Hounds " event -usually a paper chase " One day Ron was designated ' hare 'in the Brooklands Riley. Instead of paper he turned up with a bag of sawdust to mark his course "
    - the competitors " ' hounds ' complained that they had to keep stopping as only close inspection revealed the difference between sawdust and horse manure ".

Quotes from the Scott Thomson book " Up to Speed " - The Roycroft years in New Zealand motor racing " underlined.

The photos from Ed Dowding's collection [ posted before - hopefully better clarity than the Arthur Siddall ones ]

Name:  NSCC #12 Early Years 1942 gathering Titirangi CCI26062019 (800x548).jpg
Views: 479
Size:  161.9 KB

Name:  NSCC #14 Early Years 1942 Paper Chase CCI26062019_0001 (800x534).jpg
Views: 499
Size:  141.4 KB

Trevor Sheffield - the Scott Thomson book are two photos of the Austin 7 Monoposto
    - one when newly acquired with Ron sitting in it described as thus " ready for a repaint " - It is in a dark colour.
    - the second in a starting line up at Seagrove in 1947 - 13th April 1947 the frist Seagrove meeting and
    " The Austin Racer resplendent in blue paint "
    The grid is Ron Austin 7, Jack Brewer in a Midget style car, the Riley Bugatti ' Bugley ', Morgan, Riley and Frazer-Nash - they are beside a large late 1930's American Tourer which I presume was the Pace or Official Track car

I am not involving the colour of the car and am referring to the difference in physical appearance.

I am not involving the colour of the car and am referring to the difference in physical appearance.
    Appreciate that Trevor, the photos are of the darker coloured car - the one that looks tidy.
    George Sellars seems to have driven both cars .

The car being described in 1946 with George Sellars as being ex- Seabrook Fowlds ex- George Smith ex - Jack Mackay.
    Ron driving the car in April 1947 at Seagrove, and at Wigram in January 1949.
    - Wigram 1949 - your photo in the Ralph Watson Science of the web article
    Car must have passed from George Sellars to Ron Roycroft in late 1946 - early 1947

Cheers Trevor. Thanks for your information as always.

"your photo in the Ralph Watson Science of the web article" ???

Unfortunately through me trying to record a hot address, my previous post was not fully published. I have edited and now added:-

Refer to my book "Ralph Watson Special Engineer for photo and article by Ralph Watson, "My Years of Motor Racing Engineering". http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net

However in spite of of my negligence we appear to be referring to the same photo. You will have to take into account that I am one eyed, and that eye is not the best and viewing this even very large monitor, is becoming a chore.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 04-17-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Post-war, I never heard the famous car being referred to using “Monoposto” rather than “Single seat”. Furthermore Herb Gilroy was the only one I recall mentioning “Rubber Duck” and that was during a discussion concerning its handling features. In general discussion post-war it was usually referred to correctly as “The Brooklands Austin Seven”.

Photographs I have turned up show that the car displayed registration plates:-
    272.940 (Herb Gilroy) and 216-775 (Ron Roycroft)

I hope that this is of some help.

Post-war, I never heard the famous car being referred to using “Monoposto” rather than “Single seat”. Furthermore Herb Gilroy was the only one I recall mentioning “Rubber Duck” and that was during a discussion concerning its handling features. In general discussion post-war it was usually referred to correctly as “The Brooklands Austin Seven”.

Photographs I have turned up show that the car displayed registration plates:-
    272.940 (Herb Gilroy) and 216-775 (Ron Roycroft)

I hope that this is of some help.
    Trevor your information " I hope that this is of some help " It certainly is - in the Photo album by Arthur Siddall he calls it a " Monoposto " - appreciate the time and effort that you put into your book and keeping the late Ralph Watson's information from being lost.

The photo at Wigram 1949 has the plate 216-775 - the one black numbers on a dark yellow background with the " hyphen " between the two sets of 3 numbers - the 1946 - 1951 series.
    I must look for photos with the Herb Gilroy plate 272.940 and see if I can decipher the plates when George Sellars owned / drove the Austin Sevens.
    Have seen other photos of the car Herb Gilroy named " Rubber Duck " one I think was a Hill Climb at Mt Eden, and Laurie Powell was there in the Ford B4, and couple of Midget Style Racers too.
    Laurie features in a couple of the photos from the Arthur Siddall collection - racing at Seagrove.

Thanks again for adding to the story, I am learning a lot and helping to get the photos and information in order, and chronologically too !.
    Cheers

OK Roger,

The car was not actually named "rubber Duck" by Herb Gilroy. This was the nick name given to the R-type Austins during their hay-days in England and which may have started through the naming of a single car.

As I se it, the three album photos you have posted do not illustrate the NZ famous Brooklands, Works, Austin. A confused article was included in the Graham Vercoe book and I would say that the confusion indicates a mix up and that there was more than one car imported. Ralph Watson was highly critical of the Vercoe article.

The memory of a long ago conversation including a car with a Riley engine conversion, keeps ringing in my head, and this would line up with your three photos.

I am having a beer right mow so, a hearty "cheers!"

Winter Trial - The Jack Boot Cup August 1945

Part of the collection of photos I have acquired - the Arthur Siddall Album - through Duncan Fox and Eddie Dowding photos given to me in the 1970's show quite a few from the Winter Trial usually held around August -
    Initially I thought from the same event in 1945 or 1946 - but with a bit of work - looking at the notes on some photos and the number plates on the cars have determined they are from both 1945 -cars with the white letter Black Plates and 1946 cars with dark letters on Yellow Plates.

These from 1945 - my Uncle Ed in the Riley came 3rd [ dark plates the 1941 - 1945 issue with a diamond as the central mark - and muddy too ]
    Winner was Ron Roycroft, second was Vern Clarke, Ed Dowding 3rd and Ces Hodge in 4th.

Name:  NSCC 1945 #585 Winter Trial 9 Aug 1945 Jack Boot Cup 3rd Ed Dowding Duncan Fox (1024x765) (3).jpg
Views: 464
Size:  168.0 KB

Name:  NSCC 1945 #583 1945 Winter Trial Mackies Rest Ford A Austin 12 MGs Morgan  8 photos Duncan Fox  .jpg
Views: 453
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  NSCC 1945 #584 Winter Trial 1945 MGs Pontiac Vauxhall 41-46 plates 6 photos Duncan Fox (800x659).jpg
Views: 451
Size:  178.3 KB

Ed in the Riley - next to a Singer - Ken Hemus [ photo re-posted ]

Name:  NSCC #417 Early years  Ed and Una  Riley Ken Hemus Singer Helensville 1945 41-46 plates.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  137.4 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-18-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Winter Trial - The Jack Boot Cup - August 1946 event.

Jack Boot - passed away in February 1945 - a fact advised by my Cousin John Dowding - Ed [ Eddie ] Dowding's only son, Johns Uncle.
    John advises " Jack Boot’s full name was Sidney Lloyd John Boot and he died .... on 27 Feb 1945. " He is interred at Birkenhead Cemetry, on Auckland North Shore, not far from where Ed lived from around 1981 until going to a Retirement Village in 2016. Ed used to visit the Cemetry as his wife Una' parents and Jack and his mother are all there.

Both the 1945 and 1946 Winter Trials the Jack Boot Cup would have been for the Jack Boot Memorial Trial.

Some photos from the 1946 Trial - including the Trial placings - first 4 cars.
    The Start at the Railway Station, Results, and two of the Competitors

Name:  NSCC 1946 #566  Winter Trial 1946 August Start Railway Mackies Rest results 46-51 plates 3 photo.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  128.0 KB

Mackies Rest section the Mud Plug - with Ken Hemus Bert [ Herbert ] Gilroy, Ralph Watson and others

Name:  NSCC 1946 #542 Winter Trial 1946 Mackies Rest 46-51 plates 1946 Hemus Gilroy Watson others Dunca.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  166.6 KB

Mackies Rest with Ed Una and the Morris - the lineup at the finish at Helensville.

Name:  NSCC 1946 #563  Winter Trial 1946  Mackies Rest Eds Morris others finish Helensville 41-46 plate.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  180.3 KB

Above photos form the Arthur Siddall Albums - Duncan Fox collection

Individual Cars at Mackies - Ed Dowding archives;
    Ralph Watson -1933 Singer Sports four seater, " Ralph in his first sports car " quote by Trevor Sheffield- same photo appears in Trevor Sheffield's book Ralph Watson - Special Engineer

Name:  NSCC #5 Early years Mackies Rest Ralph Watson 1933 Singer 1946 CCI26072016_0005 (600x377).jpg
Views: 415
Size:  130.1 KB

Ken Hemus Sunbeam - stuck in the mud up to the sump.

Name:  NSCC #6 Early years Mackies Rest  1946 CCI26072016_0006 (740x466).jpg
Views: 420
Size:  181.6 KB

Ed Dowding driving ? and Una his wife pushing. The Morris 8 Tourer.

Name:  NSCC #7 Early years Mackies Rest  Morris Ed Dowding 1946  CCI26072016_0007 (740x466).jpg
Views: 462
Size:  165.2 KB

Must re-title the photos more correctly with the recent information from Arthur Siddall album pages.

Gordon Brown Special - The GBS ; Jock Aitken Special - The Fordie.

Posted before the Report on the 1949 NSCC Winter Trial.
    There was comment about a couple of cars - Gordon Brown's GBS, and Jock Aitken's Fordie - the two cars looked similar.
    Both cars featured in the Trial results and as the photos from the Arthur Siddall Albums - shows the similarity.

Thanks to Milan Fistonic for the article, Trevor Sheffield for comments on the original post, and Duncan Fox for the photos from a Seagrove Race meeting - Arthur Siddall albums.
    Note also Lawrie Powell in his Ford B4 V8 ahead of Gordon in his GBS.

The Article
    Name:  NSCC 1949 #555 1949 Winter Trial report J Aitken Ford 10 spl photo NSCC Trial 1A  Milan Fistonic.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  180.8 KB

The photo purported to be Gordon Browns GBS in the article is actually Jock Aitkens car.
    Gordon won, Jock came 4th.

Name:  NSCC 1949 #556 1949 Winter Trial report  NSCC Trial 1B  Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 423
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  NSCC 1949 #557 1949 Winter Trial report  results NSCC Trial 2  Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 443
Size:  82.9 KB

The Two Specials - looking similar.

Gordon Brown in the " GBS " - left photo, Jock Aitken in the " Fordie " right and Gordon with Lawrie Powell in his Ford B4 with V8 power. in the lower photo.

Name:  NSCC 1949 #559 Brown and Aitken the Specials Brown GBS Aitken Fordie Duncan Fox  (800x598) (3).jpg
Views: 452
Size:  70.1 KB

It is only 3 or so years ago that Gordon Brown was seeking to find his old car at the age of over 100.

Gordon Brown passed away in 2021 at the age of 106..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-07-2022 at 05:21 AM. Reason: photo details added.Italics ###47

"The photo purported to be Gordon Browns GBS in the article is actually Jock Aitkens car.
    Gordon won, Jock came 4th."

Just how was this established ? I recall Jock Aitken's car as being quite different from Gordon Brown's. What is more, the car in the mud appears to have two occupants, whereas Jock Aitken was driving solo.

At the time these were built I was also building a special based on a Fiat 509 and therefore had a special interest in both cars. Jock Aitken's car was styled along the lines of a traditional sports car and was much better finished than Gorrdon Brown's. Don Tilsley's (spelling?) rough and ready Singford became by far the most competitive Ford Ten Special in speed events, due to engine developments and good hydraulic brakes.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 04-22-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: addition

Specials are "Special " GBS, Fordie and a Fiat 509

"The photo purported to be Gordon Browns GBS in the article is actually Jock Aitkens car.
    Gordon won, Jock came 4th
    ."

Just how was this established ? I recall Jock Aitken's car as being quite different from Gordon Brown's. What is more, the car in the mud appears to have two occupants, whereas Jock Aitken was driving solo.

At the time these were built I was also building a special based on a Fiat 509 and therefore had a special interest in both cars. Jock Aitken's car was styled along the lines of a traditional sports car and was much better finished than Gorrdon Brown's. Don Tilsley's (spelling?) rough and ready Singford became by far the most competitive Ford Ten Special in speed events, due to engine developments and good hydraulic brakes.
    Trevor, agree - the way the article is written and cropped, makes it appear that the photo is Gordon - but the photo title below says " Top - J Aitken Ford 10 Special ".

Better photo of the GBS as posted some years ago 2016 - when Gordon was looking for the car.
    This from the Northern Sports Car Clubs - Facebook page
    enhanced by John Bennoch " John B ".

Name:  NSCC #589 GBS Gordon Brown Special - Muriwai Beach races 1949;50 .jpg
Views: 418
Size:  139.8 KB
    Attachment 66143

Would be interested to see any photos of your car the Fiat 509, which you have mentioned on this thread earlier -
    when I mistook a Fiat for a Lea Francis.

My Uncle and friends and a Fiat 509 at Russell in 1941 [ 1941- 1946 number plates ]
    - photo unearthed by my Cousin John [ Ed Dowdings son ] at the time of Ed's passing in May 2018.

Name:  Family #299 Ed and Mates 1941 Russell Fiat 509 Ed Dowding .jpg
Views: 427
Size:  161.2 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-22-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Roger,

Unfortunately no photos of the car exist. At the time, taking photos was a very secondary consideration. The car recorded a class win at a NSCC North Island Hillclimb Championship and I ran it at the Mt Wellington road races.

It was subsequently owned by Ken Harris, who went on to own the Wharton Monza Ferrari. I was surprised when he drove it, along with his wife, on a lengthy road trip. It was necessary for him to visit a family sheep station involved in a legacy, which later enabled him to purchase the Ferrari. He bragged about a "dice" with a sports car on the way home, and how the special won the day. LOL

# Refer to my book "Ralph Watson Special Engineer for photo and article by Ralph Watson, "My Years of Motor Racing Engineering".

Trevor, I looked at the photos and I think its possibly the same car that has had a rebuild with some side skirts a paint job and the Dash reformatted. In the early photo the car is rather tatty, also I see its running a D plate (D15) in the later Orewa pics.

The information I have is that there were only three "Works Supercharged Austin Sevens" and only one came to New Zealand in 1935. Of the other two, one was destroyed by fire in South Africa and the other was a victim of the Blitz in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    The information I have is that there were only three "Works Supercharged Austin Sevens" and only one came to New Zealand in 1935. Of the other two, one was destroyed by fire in South Africa and the other was a victim of the Blitz in London.
    From where did you obtain this information ?

In order to further confuse the issue, refer to page 16 in Graham Vercoe's book. LOL

NSCC - other events in 1946

More photos from the Arthur Siddall albums -
    As mentioned the photos are small so best to show the whole pages from the album.
    1946 - more events.

Pokeno Hillclimb - no details of the road used
    Note - A.J. Roycroft in the Ford V8 Sedan

Name:  NSCC #383 Pokeno Hillclimb 1946 Duncan Fox  (800x598) (2).jpg
Views: 405
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  NSCC #387 Pokeno Hillclimb 1946 Newsome Aitken Duncan Fox (1024x765) (2).jpg
Size:  165.1 KB

Whitford Time Trial 24th February 1946
    Ron Roycroft in a Riley 9 Saloon.

Name:  NSCC #388 Whitford Time Trials 24 Feb 1946 Roycroft FTD MG Riley Riley Duncan Fox (1024x765) (2).jpg
Size:  127.3 KB

Name:  NSCC 1946 #528 B Whitford Time Trial Cornering  Gilroy Dawson Murray 3 photos 1946 Duncan Fox  (.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  113.6 KB

Unfortunately a couple of the photos are missing but the captions tell of other competitors.