Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Sports Car Club - the early years.

"Note 3, Colin McGregor drove for Cowper - this would connect with Trevor Sheffield recalling that Colin McGregor had or built a Ford 10 Special - would seem it was Jocks car that passed to Cowper Note 3, Colin McGregor drove for Cowper - this would connect with Trevor Sheffield recalling that Colin McGregor had or built a Ford 10 Special - would seem it was Jocks car that passed to Cowper "

Not so, the McGregor car was a separate entity and went through several owners including Jim Lockley a well known NSCC office holder. Lockley senior's company was one of the first offset printers in Auckland and for several years printed Club Torque. Jim instigated this section of the business which was previously confined to plan printing and the supply of drawing instruments etc.

"Note 4, The photo in the Graham Vercoe book is of the second Special " Aitken - Ford 10 " with a simpler less rounded body and cycle guards - not fitted for the races at Muriwai in 1954 - "

I can not locate the photo and to the best of my memory Jock Aitken built only one special. Please explain.

The photos shown appear to be improved somewhat and it can be seen that the car has separately but closely mounted headlights. This would tie in with my memory of the car when comparing it with the Singford. Furthermore it it brings into the equation the car suggested by "Oldfart". i.e. "rather like a TF MG. The plot thickens. LOL
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-25-2020 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    "Note 3, Colin McGregor drove for Cowper - this would connect with Trevor Sheffield recalling that Colin McGregor had or built a Ford 10 Special - would seem it was Jocks car that passed to Cowper Note 3, Colin McGregor drove for Cowper - this would connect with Trevor Sheffield recalling that Colin McGregor had or built a Ford 10 Special - would seem it was Jocks car that passed to Cowper "

Not so, the McGregor car was a separate entity and went through several owners including Jim Lockley a well known NSCC office holder. Lockley senior's company was one of the first offset printers in Auckland and for several years printed Club Torque. Jim instigated this section of the business which was previously confined to plan printing and the supply of drawing instruments etc.

"Note 4, The photo in the Graham Vercoe book is of the second Special " Aitken - Ford 10 " with a simpler less rounded body and cycle guards - not fitted for the races at Muriwai in 1954 - "

I can not locate the photo and to the best of my memory Jock Aitken built only one special. Please explain.

The photos shown appear to be improved somewhat and it can be seen that the car has separately but closely mounted headlights. This would tie in with my memory of the car when comparing it with the Singford. Furthermore it it brings into the equation the car suggested by "Oldfart". i.e. "rather like a TF MG. The plot thickens. LOL
    Trevor, thanks, another car we need to find out about. The McGregor one !
    - re ; " I can not locate the photo and to the best of my memory Jock Aitken built only one special. Please explain. "

The note about Jock building two cars is in the Vercoe book and there is a photo of it which I have yet to scan.
    The photo shows the car parked next to the Singford and the Ivy Stephenson " blown MG TC ".

To add to confusion and bring another car into the story - there seem to have been 4 " Singford " cars built by the Tilsley boys, Don, Bob and Glen in the 1950's - 1951 - 1957 All before I was around the motor scene only 10 at the time the last Singford was built.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Trevor, thanks, another car we need to find out about. The McGregor one !
    - re ; " I can not locate the photo and to the best of my memory Jock Aitken built only one special. Please explain. "

The note about Jock building two cars is in the Vercoe book and there is a photo of it which I have yet to scan.
    The photo shows the car parked next to the Singford and the Ivy Stephenson " blown MG TC ".

To add to confusion and bring another car into the story - there seem to have been 4 " Singford " cars built by the Tilsley boys, Don, Bob and Glen in the 1950's - 1951 - 1957 All before I was around the motor scene only 10 at the time the last Singford was built.
    As far as I am aware, Jock Aitken built only one car but drove a Dodge Special owned by Clarry Irwin and may have had some hand in its construction.

PS After having located the photo on on page 2 of the Vercoe book, I am confident that the second car is indeed the first Singford, with its unpainted one piece aluminium bonnet removed. The third car is not that of Ivy Stephenson who owned a normally aspirated MG TD with disc wheels..

When did Ivy Stephenson own a blown MG TC as did Sybil Lupp ? Two ladies of renown.

There were only three Tilsley cars built i.e. two sports type specials and one single seater racing car. However there was a project car built by the Tilsleys which was completed and bodied by others.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-27-2020 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added PS

Ivy Stephenson - her cars.

Trevor, thanks for your notes - and finding the photo in the Vercoe book

" PS After having located the photo on on page 2 of the Vercoe book, I am confident that the second car is indeed the first Singford, with its unpainted one piece aluminium bonnet removed. The third car is not that of Ivy Stephenson who owned a normally aspirated MG TD with disc wheels.. "

We know Graham Vercoe books have inaccuracies and he didn't seem to accept corrections to errors.
    I understand that he acquired photos, etc to use in his books, forgot whose they were and never returned them.

Would be good find photos of Ivy's MG, there are a few of Sybill Lupp's cars - mainly her Jaguars.

Ivy of course had a Buckler in later years, into the 1960's and a Lola Climax in the later 1960's.

Ivy in her Buckler NSCC patch on her Overalls - Richard Armstrong archives

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #36 Ivy Stephenson Buckler Climax  R Armstrong archive.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  86.0 KB

The Lola Climax at Pukekohe in 1966 - my own photo

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #11 Pukekohe April 1966 Lola Climax Ivy Stephensen CCI12102015 (800x800) (2).jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  176.2 KB

As for the Tilsley Boys, I do not know a lot about their cars - I have more reading to do.

The first car in the photo is captioned, "The Aitken-Ford 10 Special No. 2." at Muriwai 1954, reportedly having made its debut at Seagrove in 1951 and at a later date was fitted with a Ford V8 engine.

The car also appears partly concealed on page 55, showing a Buckler at Ardmore in 1951.
    Apparently Jock Aitken drove Clarry Irvin's Dodge Special at Muriwai in 1954, at Ohakia and Ardmore in 1955 and definitely at a quarter mile sprint meeting held on the unfinished Northern Motorway 3/10/55, where he won the 3000 - 5000 cc class at 16.6 s. I ran my Singer Le Mans with my wife driving and the results show no record of Jock Aitken running in any other car.

I recall Jock driving a large engined car and thought this recollection involved the Dodge Special. However Ford V8 hangs in my ind rather than Dodge, so that it could be that there was a second car. Even so the car pictured does not fit the bill in my mind or opinion.

Cosseys Farm a competitor - Peter Levet in his Mini

A set of photo's of Peter Levet competing at Cosseys Farm in March 1974.
    The first photos shows the talked about concrete pad that was the start with the " cowpats "
    - also shows Steve Hamilton in the next car on the line and a few other competitors in the " paddock " area.
    The photos from Milan Fistonic's extensive archives - Photographer stated as " unknown ".

The photos are in sequence from Start through the middle section the tight right hander and up through the "Top Gate " before the sweeper to the finish.

Name:  NSCC #192 Peter Levet Cosseys the start March 1974 S Hamilton behind M Fistonic archives .jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  NSCC #193 Peter Levet Cosseys the central part March 1974 M Fistonic archives .jpg
Views: 782
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  NSCC #194 Peter Levet Cosseys the tight right March 1974 M Fistonic archives .jpg
Views: 724
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  NSCC #196 Peter Levet Cosseys top gate, near finish March 1974 M Fistonic archives .jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  88.1 KB

Photo from the 1967 article on the New Venue of Cosseys Farm, showing the track / road.

Name:  NSCC #117 Cosseys Hill climb article 1967 # The track.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  174.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-10-2020 at 04:48 AM.

Ostrich Farm Road, an NSCC Hill Climb venue

Finding more our about when certain Hill Roads were used by NSCC and other Clubs and came across these via Bob Homewood - he has a facebook link about the great Late Ted Thompson of Kumeu and a few photos of the Mini-Ford,
    A Ford crossflow 1500 Motor grafted to a Mini Gearbox running huge carburettors and 13 inch wheels on the front usual mini 10 inch on the rear.

The Hill Climb details ; Ted running a special Ford V8 engine in a Ford 10 - there are some pictures of the motor too

Name:  NSCC 1961 #10 November 12,1961 Ostrich Farm Road report Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 886
Size:  172.2 KB

Name:  NSCC 1961 #11 November 12,1961 Ostrich Farm Road results Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 699
Size:  158.9 KB

Forrest Cardon in the Lycoming - pre Jim Boyd - lots of other well known 60's [ 50's -70/80's ] drivers too !!

NSCC Hillclimb venues

Originally posted this, but more information has been forthcoming ;

1940's - late in the decade. First Hill Climb appears to be in 1946
    1946 - 47.

Taylors Bay, Hillsborough - unsure which road was used.

Pokeno again no details on which road was used.

Ostrich Farm Road - late 1940's **- understand this may have been the Auckland Car Club's venue not NSCC ?

** Used in 1961 as have some results from an event there in November 1961 posted in previous thread
    The plot / story continues ..
    1950's

" Wairamarama Onewhero Road, Onewhero "

described as Wairamarama Road, Glen Murray in some details about an early Hill Climb - near Ron Roycrofts place - used definitely in 1956.
    Thanks to Trevor for the correction of spelling - makes it easier to find on a map !!

1960's

Wharepapa Road, Helensville - used early 1960's ** maybe 1964

Birdwood Road, Massey - area now called Birdwood as Massey is a large area. used 1964 - 65, did they keep using it until Cosseys was used in March 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Originally posted this, but more information has been forthcoming ;

1940's - late in the decade. First Hill Climb appears to be in 1946
    1946 - 47.

Taylors Bay, Hillsborough - unsure which road was used.

Pokeno again no details on which road was used.

Ostrich Farm Road - late 1940's **- understand this may have been the Auckland Car Club's venue not NSCC ?

** Used in 1961 as have some results from an event there in November 1961 posted in previous thread
    The plot / story continues ..
    1950's

described as Wairamarama Road, Glen Murray in some details about an early Hill Climb - near Ron Roycrofts place - used definitely in 1956.
    Thanks to Trevor for the correction of spelling - makes it easier to find on a map !!

1960's

Wharepapa Road, Helensville - used early 1960's ** maybe 1964

Birdwood Road, Massey - area now called Birdwood as Massey is a large area. used 1964 - 65, did they keep using it until Cosseys was used in March 1967.
    Ostrich Farm Road was definitely a NSSC hillclimb and to the best of my knowledge and recollection was never used by the ACC.

Wairamarama I am certain was an exclusive NSSC venue.

During this period the two Auckland Clubs as a matter of principle, did not attempt to gain the use of what was considered to be the others patch. This attitude was important so as to prevent confusion and possible competition involving applications made to the public body involved. It worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Ostrich Farm Road was definitely a NSSC hillclimb and to the best of my knowledge and recollection was never used by the ACC.

Wairamarama I am certain was an exclusive NSSC venue.

During this period the two Auckland Clubs as a matter of principle, did not attempt to gain the use of what was considered to be the others patch. This attitude was important so as to prevent confusion and possible competition involving applications made to the public body involved. It worked very well.
    Good information, Thanks Trevor.
    I like the idea that the clubs collaborated, was certainly like that when I was involved in the 1970;s - helping out at ACC events and they with ours, plus with Pukekohe Car Club, Hamilton, Thames Valley and Tokoroa.

Austin 7 Supercharged Monoposto - The " Rubber Duck "

Photo of the Car when George Smith owned the ex Phil Seabrook Car
    [ Seabrook Fowlds - the Auckland Austin dealers ]
    A bit more of the story.

This is from 1936 ..

Bob Homewood who posted the photo wrote ;

" A very early NZ visit by George Smith across the Tasman to compete at Victor Harbor in 1936 and amazing also when you research some of this stuff what else you find for instance this fact .......The 1937 Australian Grand Prix is a name which has been applied retrospectively to the 1936 South Australian Centenary Grand Prix, a motor race held on the Port Elliot-Victor Harbor road circuit in South Australia on Boxing Day, 26 December 1936 "

" The Austin was the ex Phil Seabrook ex works car ,by all accounts Smith was over handicapped out of the event and the race report has him retiring on lap 7,going on a comment I was told a long time ago ,also I don't think he was over happy with the roughness of the circuit it appears there was another NZ er at that meeting as well , a Eric Morgan who appears in the entry list as " Cire Nagrom' for reasons only known to him who was entered in the ex Zaborowski Miller 8 but apparently it was damaged in a race day accident on the way to the circuit and it was sold shortly after the meeting to a South Australian buyer "

Name:  Austin Seven #23 George Smith Rubber Duck XA1012 1936 Australian GP carnival Victor Harbor, SA T.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  97.0 KB

A slightly later photo of the Car - still in the light Green colour but with a different George [ George Sellars ] who owned the car in 1946 .. here at Muriwai in 1946 - later in the year at Orewa the was a dark colour - Blue as it was when with Ron Roycroft in 1949 into the 1950's ..

Name:  NSCC #466 S C Austin 7 George Sellars Muriwai Beach March 1946  Duncan Fox  (800x598) (3).jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  85.4 KB

Good that more information is being found.
    Thanks to Bob Homewood, an NSCC Guy from back in the 1970's
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-05-2020 at 05:19 AM.

NSCC The Early Years - a sad event.

This thread was started with photos given to me by my late Uncle Ed [ Albert Edward Dowding ], known as Eddie within NSCC circles in the 1940's.

note from the first post on the thread -
    " NSCC, was formed during the second world war - believe or not and from what I have gleaned from my Uncle Albert Edward " Eddie " Dowding, initial discussions took place on the Ferries between, Auckland City and the North Shore jetty's, Devonport, Northcote and Birkenhead.
    Eddie lived at the time in Herne Bay and caught the Ferry to Northcote to visit his fiancee who became his wife in June 1942. "

Edddie's wife Una, my Aunt - his navigator and at times pusher in Trials and Mud Plug events - passed away this week at 100 years and 6 months - the end of the senior generation in our Family.

3 photos which have them both and others at early NSCC events.

Taylors Bay Hill Climb in 1946 - seated in Graham Wells Bentley - they are in the back seat - very crowded it was too
    [ cosy in fact ].

Name:  Family #115 1946 Ed back seat -Graham Wells Bentley NSCC Taylors Bay hclimb  E Dowding archives.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  60.5 KB

In the Morris 8 Tourer - Mackies Rest in the Waitakere Ranges, near Piha - also in 1946. Una pushing.

Name:  NSCC #7 1946 Early years Mackies Rest  Morris Ed Dowding   CCI26072016_0007 (740x466).jpg
Views: 584
Size:  165.2 KB

In their Riley at Helensville Hall at the end of a Trial [ think Ken Hemus in the Singer ** now known to be Ralph Watson ]. the 1949 Winter Trial

Name:  NSCC #3 1945 Early years  Mud Trial Helensville Singer & Riley CCI26072016_0002 (680x516).jpg
Views: 670
Size:  131.4 KB

RIP Una Dowding [ 1920 - 2020 ] and Eddie Dowding [ 1919 - 2018 ].
    Una was still driving in her early 90's and Ed gave up his licence in 2017 having had it since 1934.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-28-2020 at 04:39 AM. Reason: correction *** T Sheffield ### 47 ..

"In their Riley at Helensville Hall at the end of a Trial [ think Ken Hemus in the Singer ]. the 1949 Winter Trial"

Definitely the late Ralph Watson driving the four seater Singer shown in the photo. RIP all the old guys who started the club, "on a shoe string".
    Somehow the NSSC originally retained an essence of dignity, when compared with the ACC.

Early Days of NSCC, Ed Dowding and Ralph Watson - Trevors note

Trevors comment - " Definitely the late Ralph Watson driving the four seater Singer shown in the photo. RIP all the old guys who started the club, "on a shoe string"."

Trevor,you are correct - and on looking at that photo and one of Ralph on early Mud Trial in the Singer, the same gentleman is navigating - must correct my notes on here and on the photo. Ken Hemus had a Sunbeam which was on the same trial as Ralph - photos posted before.

As an aside, I had a visit from Bob Kidd and his wife Lynn, whom I knew from my time in NSCC in the 1970's.

Bob had with him a letter from 1943 from a G Newsome to R Currey about forming of a club for MG's [ Sports Cars ] - It is about the formation of NSCC and in pencil on the back are notes about the club and who would be the original committee.

" B Tye " - Bryce Tye - who has a trophy named after him competed for by Club Members each year.
    " R Currey " - unsure of his christian name
    " V Clarke " - Vern Clarke - who features in a number of photos of early events
    " J Boot " - Jack Boot, my Uncle who passed away in 1945, was the owner of the Roycroft Bugley - Midget style racer.

The information ties in with this piece from Club Torque in 1962 about the Clubs formation in 1943.
    - from Milan Fistonic archves [ posted before - but belongs here]
    Name:  NSCC 1943 #19 Early years Club Torque Sept 1962 re 1943-46 M Fistonich img374_1.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  111.4 KB

Included in what Bob gave was also an early Membership Card with B Tye and R Currey listed on the card in their positions within the Club

There were also some photos of an MG Sports Car [ two in fact ] taken around the time - ownership not known.

Images of the letter the Card and photos will follow when I have scanned them - another part to the Club's early History preserved.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-28-2020 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Image added ###47

NSCC 1943 - correspondence

The letter written in June 1943 by G Newsome to R Currey. R Currey became the Clubs first Treasurer.
    This is from Bob Kidd, who many years ago was given the Envelope with the letter card and photos in it.
    Bob thinks it was at the 1993 Event -
    the 50th Anniversary of the Club.
    Bob is a former President of NSCC, and was Trials Committee Chairman in the 1970's - he mentored me and I took over as Chairman for a year or two in 1975/76.

They appear to be from R Currey archives
    - they came in an envelope postmarked 1976 from a Gail Hamblin in Auckland 3 postcode to a Mrs A Bruce in Torbay Auckland 10.

The letter;

Name:  NSCC 1943 #105 Letter G Newsome to R Currey P1 300643 resize Bob Kidd archives CCI29072020 (627x.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  183.6 KB

Name:  NSCC 1943 #107 Letter Newsome to Currey P2 resize Bob Kidd archives CCI29072020_0001 (577x680).jpg
Views: 526
Size:  173.9 KB

The pencil notes on the back of Page Two.

Name:  NSCC 1943 #117 Letter - notes about NSCC 1943 resize Bob Kidd archives CCI29072020_0002 (2) (750.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  163.6 KB

The notes connect with the page from Club Torque - republished recently.

An early NSCC Membership Card [ Members Card ].
    Bryce Tye and R Currey have their names on the card.

Name:  NSCC 1943 #113 NSCC Membership Card Bob Kidd archives CCI29072020_0003 (800x479).jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  114.6 KB

A couple of photos that came with the letter - presume cars that R Currey owned - the plates are the 1941 46 issue White letters on a Black background with the symbol in the middle a Diamond.

MG's

Name:  NSCC 1943 #154 MG pair no details 1941-46 plates CCI29072020_0005 (800x571).jpg
Views: 646
Size:  161.8 KB

Name:  NSCC 1943 #145 MG 23.584 no details 1941-46 plates Bob Kidd R Currey CCI29072020_0006.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  174.6 KB

There were two others photos of the MG [ MG's ]

The other MG photos

A couple more photos of the MG [ MG's ] as noted in previous post. from around the time -
    The cars have the 1941 -1946 issue plates - the first series of 5 year plates - prior to 1941 plates were issued annually.

Name:  NSCC 1943 #156 MG rear and interior no details Bob Kidd R Currey CCI29072020_0009 (2).jpg
Views: 633
Size:  172.7 KB

Name:  NSCC 1943 #157 MG 123.428 no details 1941 - 46 plates Bob Kidd R Currey CCI29072020_0007 (2).jpg
Views: 509
Size:  155.2 KB

NSCC October 1947 the Concours D'Elegance at Cornwall Park.

Posted before with the photo on a card with the details.

Have re-scanned for better quality - and here is the photo sized for TRS - I got it to 183 kb allowing for the max of 185.5 kb

Name:  NSCC 1947 #162 Concours Oct 1947 Cornwall Park photo only 183kb E Dowding CCI29072020_0010 (3) (.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  183.8 KB

The Original Photo on the card.

Many of the cars seen in the Arthur Siddall photos - from Duncan Fox. Both Arthur Siddall and Jock Aitken ran Ford 10's as seen in the back row.
    Would be interested in identifying all the cars and drivers / owners ?- I know some.

Sports Cars and Tourers in the front row, Saloons behind and in the back row
    The Morris Series E would be a fairly new car.

Name:  NSCC 1947 #148 Concours Oct 1947 Cornwall Park photo on frame E Dowding CCI29072020_0010 (800x45.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  117.8 KB

NSCC Hill Climb Events and venues

Re - writing and amending the list from earlier posts ;

The list so far

1940's
    - late in the decade. First Hill Climb appears to be in 1946
    1946 - 47.

" Taylors Bay, Hillsborough " - unsure which road was used.

" Pokeno " - again no details on which road was used.

" Ostrich Farm Road " - late 1940's - understand this may have been the Auckland Car Club's venue not NSCC ** Definitely an NSCC venue and used in the 1960's

" Whitford " - un-named road
    1948 near Whitford - report appears on the thread

1950's

" Don Buck Road, Massey "
    24/09/1950 Hill Climb, Don Buck Road, Massey

The Hill was used on the following dates

[ information from Trevor Sheffields book about Ralph Watson - thanks again Trevor ]
    23/03/1953 - information from Milan Fistonic and cover of programme - Post #339
    29/09/1953

16/01/1954 as noted in Don Tilsley photos
    19/09/1954

15/01/1955 - copy of the cover - Programme for this event now added Post #339
    later in 1955 - exact date not detailed

later in 1956 **- exact date not detailed " ----/1956 NSCC Hill Climb - Ron Roycroft ran the Bugatti - Jaguar
    **presume this is still using Wairamarama Road

1960's

" Ostrich Farm Road, Pukekohe, Franklin County "

11/10/1961 Ostrich Farm Road
    November 1961 **
    17/12/1961 Ostrich Farm Road, Pukekohe - the NSCC's Gold Star Championship Hill Climb

As noted ; ** Used in 1961 as have some results from an event there in November 1961 posted in previous thread post #327

" Wharepapa Road, Helensville " - used early 1960's ** maybe 1964 - now seems likely this was after Birdwood Road - see dates now added.

" Birdwood Road, Massey "

14/03/1965 Birdwood Road Massey - results appear in a previous post

Birdwood Road, Massey - area now called Birdwood as Massey is a large area. used 1964 - 65, did they keep using it until Cosseys was first used in March 1967 ?.
    Then we have Wharepapa -both roads used in 1965.

" Wharepapa Road, Helensville "

-/12/1965 Wharepapa Road

By March 1967 NSCC had " built " Cosseys Farm Road into a Hill Climb venue - cowpats and all.

Question - Is it Hill Climb or Hillclimb ?
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 10-13-2020 at 04:39 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

Here is confirmation of the dates of two Wairamarama hillclimbs.

Name:  img696 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  img698 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  149.8 KB

NSCC photos from the 1950's 1951 - 1955 Don Tilsley archives - The Singfords

These photos were put on the NSCC Facebook page back in 2017 - I had seen them and with the new information coming to light the should be here
    The notes on the photos from the NSCC page

#1 photo NSCC 1951 #231
    1951 Seagrove
    “ Singford Special at NSCC Club Championship meeting at Seagrove 18 Nov 1951.
    Up to 1500 cc 1st. MGTD 2nd Jowett Jupiter 3rd. General Handicap up to 1500 cc 1st. McHugh Special 2nd. Standard Special (Bob Crisp) 3rd. Byce Tye Cup for Sports cars. 3rd. 1st.Allard J2 (George Smith) 2nd. Jaguar 120 (Peter Harrison) “

Name:  NSCC 1951 #231 Singford Special NSCC Club Championship meeting Seagrove 18 Nov 1951. Don Tilsley.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  39.2 KB

#2 photo NSCC 1953 #232
    1953 Ohakea
    “ Ohakea Trophy Race 14 March 1953. D.N.F. for Don on the 24th lap (of 25) while holding 2nd place broke steering arm. Could have finished 3rd or 4th. Don received 10 pounds for completing 23 laps! “

Name:  NSCC 1953 #232 Ohakea Trophy Race 14 March 1953. D.N.F Don on  24th lap (of 25) holding 2nd plac.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  87.2 KB

#3 photo NSCC 1953 #233
    1953 Muriwai ACC event
    “ Singford Special 1st place won by Don at the NZ Hillclimb Championship Class F at Muriwai 18 April 1953 run by Auckland Car Club. “

Name:  NSCC 1953 #233 Singford Special 1st place Don Tilsley NZ Hillclimb Championship Class F Muriwai .jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  52.9 KB

#4 photo NSCC 1954 #234
    1954 Wairamarama
    “ Picture of Don's car Singford Special 1st Class F 1101-1500cc North Island Hill Climb Championship at Wairamarama -16th Jan 1954 run by NSCC. “

Name:  NSCC 1954 #234 Don's car Singford Special 1st Class F 1101-1500cc North Island Hill Climb Champi.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  104.2 KB

#5 photo NSCC 1955 #235.
    1955 Muriwai Beach
    “NSCC meeting at Muriwai beach, June 1955. Herb Gilroy A40 special and Don Tilsley Singford Special Mk 3 (Ecurie Drambuie) Dead heat 1st. “

Name:  NSCC 1955 #235 NSCC Muriwai beach, June 1955. Herb Gilroy A40 special Don Tilsley Singford Speci.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  82.1 KB

The first 4 photos are the original Singford - details of which have been commented on **-on this thread.
    Last photo is the Singford Mark 3 as noted on the photo.
    ** specific comment from Trevor Sheffield - who was racing at the time !
    " There were only three Tilsley cars built i.e. two sports type specials and one single seater racing car. However there was a project car built by the Tilsleys which was completed and bodied by others. "

Thanks Trevor - always good information from your great memory and archives - Cheers ..

Must check the Hill Climb dates for the Timeline in the previous post. #338.
    Another date also from Milan as noted in post #339 - Thanks.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-12-2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Post #338 and #339