Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Dixon

World Champion

Scott Dixon

I hope you are all able to watch Scott compete tomorrow in the Indy 500. Starting from pole position should get him off to a good start. He is such a talented driver and respected wherever he drives. He rarely complains or causes incidents which is such a change from "Wild Horse" Power ! He is bloody quick and clean on the track and popular off it. He is a great ambassador for New Zealand motor racing over here. We are proud of you Scott and all our very best wishes for the future.
    As you can see from this Youtube clip it is not easy out there this year.

Go Scott, we wish you well mate.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-23-2015 at 08:01 PM.

World Champion
    Also good to see Ritchie Stanaway win the GP2 at Monaco
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119133

World Champion
    Scott, you gave it a bloody good try. We are proud of you.
    Have to admit JPM drove a great race from last place.

(Ken Hyndman )

Pretty hair-raising race wasn't it, wish F1 was that competitive too. JPM doesn't give or expect any quarter,even with his team mates. He must have taken the lettering of Scott's tires when he made that late pass on the front straight....

The best too drivers got there in the end.

Think more than 2 finished, they all good drivers.

World Champion
    I agree Rod.
    The racing and passing was close and exciting throughout. I feel if Scott's car engine had not dropped off (ignition and overheating issues ) over the last 10 miles that he would have been up there at the end. He seemed to be able to pass and lead whenever he wanted to. He led the most laps and we should be very proud of what he achieved. NZ was well mentioned in the broadcast over here.

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-25-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Think more than 2 finished, they all good drivers.
    Good drivers,yes.

Yes I thought Scott Dixon had it in the bag this year then later Will Power looked likely but what great skillful driving at extremely high speeds some of those passing maneuvers were real heart in the mouth stuff. The handling & grip of these Indy cars is remarkable. A few wrecked cars but everybody ending up intact & races like this are far more entertaining than the woeful spectacle F1 has evolved into. Bernie Ecclestone has stated that "what F1 needs is 1000 hp V8`s without hybrid technology" & I totally agree with him.

Regards, Trevor Benton, Brisbane.

World Champion
    Scott,
    You bloody beaut. Great win today to take the championship. Four time champion. You are one of the greats of all time !

(Ken Hyndman )

Fantastic news with Scott's win in the race and also the series. I see somewhere that it would have been Bruce McLarens 78th birthday. A great day for Kiwi motorsport. Wonder if he will get any recognition here in NZ from the sports powers that be - don't hold your breath.

Fantastic news. I wonder if Granny Herald mentions it as they totally ignored the Belgian GP last week. Incidentally, I reckon the McLaren Kiwi logo would be a perfect basis for a NZ flag, that is if a change is required...

World Champion
    May we all be grateful for the way modern Indy cars are built after seeing what Scott Dixon went through today in one of the worst Indy crashes I have ever seen ! WOW !
    So pleased Scott seems to be ok.

(Ken)

Scott Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    May we all be grateful for the way modern Indy cars are built after seeing what Scott Dixon went through today in one of the worst Indy crashes I have ever seen ! WOW !
    So pleased Scott seems to be ok.

(Ken)
    Ken , he was a very very lucky man , took off like an aeroplane and crashed like one , shit can happen & Scott would be well aware of this , some one was looking after him ...

World Champion
    Grant,
    Kiwis are not meant to fly !
    If Scott was not a praying man before I think he will be now.
    Full praise also must go to the designer of this car.
    Name:  2017 Indy. Dixon crash.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  165.6 KB

p.s. Note how many in the crowd were not watching all the action.

I think Helio Castroneves in car # 3 will be counting his blessings also and he almost went on to
    win the race !

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-29-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Helio deserved to win it after his wicked passes of Chilton and Sato in the closing laps, outrageous !

World Champion
    Here we are on the eve of another Indy Championship in the US and once again that wonderful ambassador for New Zealand motorsport,Scott Dixon, is set to challenge to win the championship at the Sonoma finale.
    Scott has a deservedly huge fan following here as he is like a lone ranger up against the fearsome Penske Team.
    All the best Scotty you are a true champion regardless of what happens tomorrow.
    (Imagine where he would be if he had not had that MASSIVE Indy 500 crash !)
    Name:  -indycar-finale-digital-v2.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  182.1 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-17-2017 at 03:59 PM.

I also saw somewhere recently that Brendon Hartley will be joining Dixon at Chip Ganassi Racing next year, quite a power duo ! Not sure what CGR are doing for budget, after a long term and very profitable partnership Target are withdrawing their sponsorship at the end of the year and redirecting it to soccer in the USA.
    Last edited by GD66; 09-18-2017 at 03:11 AM.

Target have been involved a long time in US racing as you have said GD.
    Here is a photo of S Moss and J Fangio from years ago - Moss was to wear the Target hat but would not so JF said he would model it for the photo shoot!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Toto Wolff on Scott Dixon:

It’s no surprise that a multiple champion and 2008 Indianapolis 500 winner has plenty of fans, but one may be a bit of a surprise: Mercedes Motorsport boss Toto Wolff, who has quietly followed the Ganassi Racing driver’s career for the past 25 years, thinks Dixon’s accomplishments are “amazing.”

Dixon caught Wolff’s eye in 1994 when the future Mercedes boss was racing Formula Fords in New Zealand. Wolff recalled Dixon being the class of the field in Formula Vee, a series where he described the cars as looking like someone took one of the plastic trays that restaurants use to bus tables and bolted it to the top of a racing chassis.

“I know him, but he doesn’t know that I know him,” said Wolff, who still appeared relieved that Dixon was too young to race against him in Formula Fords 25 years earlier.

“There was this 13-year-old kid who was doing a strange kind of series where the cars looked like a bus tub on wheels and he won that. So, I remember this ginger-haired young boy driving bus tubs and I’ve followed his career since then.”

Wolff, who is responsible for the Mercedes’ racing efforts in Formula One, Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (DTM), and sports cars, added it’s clear Dixon’s talent should have earned him a shot in F1, but for some reason or another it never happened.

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2018/0...f-toronto.html