Thread: Kiwis Overseas

Kiwis Overseas

Perhaps on this thread ex-pat Kiwis can drop in and let us know where they are situated and post any info they have about other Kiwis who are involved in motorsport outside of NZ.
    For example, today Dane Cameron won the Tudor Sportscar Championship race at Detroit. Dane is the son of Steve Cameron who raced Formula Vee, Ford and Pacific in NZ before moving to west coast, USA.
    Dane drove a Daytona Prototype Chevy to a real nail-biter of a finish not helped by heavy rain on the final lap of a 2hour race.

World Champion
    Ok, well I will take this up, live on the Sunshine Coast of Oz, a little over 30 minutes from Lakeside and do not get there anywhere near as often as I would like. I have been to the last 2 Lakeside Classics which will, for the second time, this year feature the HMC boys coming over to take on the ATA guys in the Trans Tasman Trans Am cup, (Not sure what Dale and the lads are actually calling it, I suppose I could go looking. . .) At last years event, I had the pleasure to meet up with Roger Dowding, a fellow TRS member, and watched some very entertaining racing, lets hope the boys put on a show again this year.

Weekend Warrior
    Bob Slade and his son Nick - USA

Nick is currently in France for LeMan's

Following on from seaqnmac27,as mentioned, I live in Bellara on Bribie island, again about 30 minutes from Lakeside, get there several times a year, well 3 last year may only be once this year. No competing in motorsport / racing anymore but was heavily involved with Car Clubs , from 1967 through to about 1995, with a MX5 Club track day my last run at Pukekohe in 2004, 21 years after the previous one in the Jaguar Car Clubs annual Le Mans Relay Race for Austin-Healey Car Club. Clubs i was involved with were NSCC, see my Early History thread, Triumph Car Club, NZ Triumph TR Register, the said AHCCNZ, even going to Snowmass Colorado for their 30th Anniversary Meeting in July 1982 and the Annual Laguna Seca Classic Historics in August 1982.

Max Crawford from Dunedin has a good record in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    For example, today Dane Cameron won the Tudor Sportscar Championship race at Detroit. Dane is the son of Steve Cameron who raced Formula Vee, Ford and Pacific in NZ before moving to west coast, USA.
    Actually Grant, Dane is Steves nephew. his father is Rick Cameron (Steves little brother) who is actually engineering a competing car for a different team in the same series! I ran Dane in Atlantic in 2008, the kid really is the real deal.

I am out of the game now, but there are a lot of Kiwi's still in the motorsport industry in the US.

Thanks for the correction, I met both Steve and Dane together at VIR several years ago and assumed they were father and son.
    There sure are a lot of Kiwis in Motorsport up here!
    Cheers, Grant