Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bruce McLaren

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think he means Harry Mathews:
    http://www.mathewscollection.com/collection_history.htm

But it looks like they've sold off most of the McLarens since their book came out.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Mathews-Co.../dp/1902351029

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Harry ?
    Sorry Rod not trying to big note you know that,Harry is a real good bloke four of us stayed with him some years back ,he and two boys ran their can am cars at Road America,he had or has hopefully still has the most McLarens including the coupe plus Ferraris ,hot rods ,he loves his hot rods,at the time 13 McLarens sat in each one ,not that easy to get out of some of then,needed arms twice as long to reach the ground so as not to damage them,.He lives up above Denver we were taken up to see Buffalo Bills muesem{I think thats correct} way up in the mountain,wild deer roam beside his home,.He made his money making car wash machines,He sent me out his book on his cars,plus he has been a great help to the Bruce McLaren Trust

Sorry did not know first name, but what a collection. Yes thats it, the http://www.mathewscollection.com/collection_history.htm, what a site. Can/will spend hours going over it.
    You are one very lucky person to have gone there Jim.

Lucky yes but the weather there real violent ,missed out on a tornad at the track ,when one comes they have everyone under the track where it passes over itself,looking at the clouds 4 layers going in 4 directions rather scary,prefer Laguna Seca anyday

Sad to say Harry got caught out with some money loss and has sold most of his cars,hard to believe but thats life I guess

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Hi how about some prices
    $67 US plus postage is the current norm

World Champion

That more then anything reveals the passion that the current McLaren people have for the McLaren heritage. And it just seems such a McLaren thing to do...no pats on the back, just a "that's the last thing they'll expect, let's do it!" expression of celebration.
    One of my favourite youtube clips I never tire of listening too.

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    "On June 2 2010, the 40th anniversary of Bruce's passing, they held a minute's silence at the McLaren factory. And then, like the racers they are, they fired up the 7.5 litre Chevorlet V8 in one of those glorious orange elephants that Bruce and Denny loved so much, a M8D, and revved it hard for a minute. And somewhere very hallowed, where the spirits of the good guys go, Bruce and Denny would have been laughing their heads off in approval of the men who continue to carry their flame."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Entin View Post
    Attachment 14533
    Here is one of Bruce McLaren at Riverside spoofing the Chaparral crew.
    Wally Willmott leaning in and Tyler Alexander at the back. That is Teddy Mayer in the front.
    This was taken at the Riverside Grand Prix in 1964.
    photo: Kirby Guyer
    At last ... the model we've all been waiting for has arrived! Spark's 1:43rd resin model of Bruce's #2 McLaren M1A from Riverside 1964.

Name:  Dsc07044.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  139.0 KB
    Name:  Dsc07045.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  139.7 KB
    Name:  Dsc07050.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  169.0 KB
    Name:  Dsc07052.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  145.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Wow!
    I second that, completely stunning model!

World Champion

Hmmmm! Not a lot else to say really!

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I second that, completely stunning model!
    THAT is cool! Where do I get mine?

Weekend Warrior
    Oh dear me!

World Champion

Woooow Bry just great footage never seen before....... & Wally ex Timaru guy ........ Fantastic....... Thanks mate........ ps any one get footage of the saloon race that day Bruce also had the works mini cooper there giving the locals a hurry up....

Thanks Bry, you keep turning up the gems, and this is the jewel in the crown! Fantastic, and the first Grand Prix I saw!

Journeyman Racer
    Hi , I live just across the road from where Bruce is buried and I tend his grave when it needs it.
    Although nothing has changed on his headstone , it has been nicely restored with gold lettering etc in the last few years.
    Bruce's mum and dad are buried in the next plot over and next to them , Bruce's sister Pat and her husband.
    The grave is almost never without flowers , especially on Bruce's birthday and anniversary of his death.
    I do believe that in 1970 his family didn't want a flash descriptive headstone - they were very humble, down to earth people.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    I was talking to Bruces sister a number of years ago at manfeild ,and i said when i go to Tepuke Dennys head stone tells you what he did in motor racing, but when i go to auckland Bruces head stone only has his name it does not tell you what he did with his life and what he did in motor racing putting nz on the map .I did say it would be good to see something put up there for all to see maybe they have ,i have not been to auckland for a number of years so do not know--maybe you do.