Thread: Robin Curtis

Robin Curtis

Robin passed away this morning - he's been battling the rust for a fair while now and if you've seen him at a racetrack in recent times, it was probably in a motorised wheelchair.

Others will know exactly when he kicked off Motor Action but perhaps 1972/73ish? He was the classic all-rounder in as far as being a top man with both words and photos, plus he was just as interested in rallying and speedway as he was circuit racing - and even there he never seemed to show any particular leaning towards saloons or open-wheelers or sports cars.

It seemed that if it had wheels, a motor and went quick, he was interested. Robin moved to PN perhaps two years ago and has been well looked after by Joy and Terry Rush. I was present at the 2013 MSNZ Awards where Robin was given something like a lifetime achievement award - totally deserved, given that he'd been covering motor racing in NZ for over 50 years - and instead of simply saying nice things, he gave MSNZ a fair bollocking for their apathy towards history and the sport's heritage.

In 2014 MSNZ made five Heritage Awards and this year there were another three.

RIP Robin.

Ha, good man ! I see in Allan Dick's tribute he mentioned that Robin had used his last column in Race and Rally Driver to give a spray as well. There wouldn't be many on here who haven't thankfully, if unknowingly observed plenty of examples of Robin's work in prose or pic over the years. We have been very lucky to have skilled and knowledgeable journos of his and his contemporaries' calibre to document our golden years of motorsport. A shame coming not long after we lost the Fountain himself, David McKinney, but we should all be grateful for their contributions to our background.

Nice tribute, Michael.

Sad to hear of Robin's passing today - he was a passionate supporter of all types of Motorsport for many years.
    It was nice to have his encouragement and support as a young photographer, and he would use not only some
    of my photographs, but material anyone sent to him, before the print deadline, that he regarded worthy of printing in Motoraction magazine.
    I spoke to him at Hampton Downs not that long ago and he discussed his failing health, but he still seemed in good spirits.
    We also discussed his huge collection of photographs, etc and what would eventually happen to them. He said he was too unwell to think about organising them at that stage and that would have to be someone else's job!
    That must be a goldmine of material that must be preserved as a testimony of 50 years of dedication.

Attached is a photograph taken at Pukekohe in 1978 showing Robin as I always remember him hovering around the pits trying to get to the bottom of a story and taking a few more interesting shots for his reports.
    RIP Robin

Name:  Curtis-Edgell-Platt-Puke-19.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  144.2 KB

Robin Curtis, Randall Edgell and Bryce Platt

First met Robin in Invercargill many years ago at Teretonga and sort of lost touch until I moved to Havelock North and saw an advertisement for a trip to the first USGP East to be lead by Robin Curtis!
    Our family went and had a great time seeing the sights of LA, Hollywood, Universal Studios, meeting GP McRae for a special chat at our hotel, talking with Alan Jones at his first F1 race, watching the race and my daughter viewing Disneyland from the shoulders of Max Stewart.
    Thank you Robin, your friendship to our little family at that time was very special. God Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    Sad to hear of Robin's passing today - he was a passionate supporter of all types of Motorsport for many years.
    It was nice to have his encouragement and support as a young photographer, and he would use not only some
    of my photographs, but material anyone sent to him, before the print deadline, that he regarded worthy of printing in Motoraction magazine.
    I spoke to him at Hampton Downs not that long ago and he discussed his failing health, but he still seemed in good spirits.
    We also discussed his huge collection of photographs, etc and what would eventually happen to them. He said he was too unwell to think about organising them at that stage and that would have to be someone else's job!
    That must be a goldmine of material that must be preserved as a testimony of 50 years of dedication.

Attached is a photograph taken at Pukekohe in 1978 showing Robin as I always remember him hovering around the pits trying to get to the bottom of a story and taking a few more interesting shots for his reports.
    RIP Robin

Name:  Curtis-Edgell-Platt-Puke-19.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  144.2 KB

Robin Curtis, Randall Edgell and Bryce Platt
    Sad news - Great pic of all 3 (plus Burtie in the background it looks like)

I remember watching Robin doing a gymkhana in Mercer Street Wellington in a standard Chevette as part of Heatway Rally promotions in the late 70's. He gave the poor Chevette an absolute hammering ! Robin could certainly drive as well as being a great journalist and photographer.

Another good man lost to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Robin passed away this morning - he's been battling the rust for a fair while now and if you've seen him at a racetrack in recent times, it was probably in a motorised wheelchair.

Others will know exactly when he kicked off Motor Action but perhaps 1972/73ish? He was the classic all-rounder in as far as being a top man with both words and photos, plus he was just as interested in rallying and speedway as he was circuit racing - and even there he never seemed to show any particular leaning towards saloons or open-wheelers or sports cars.

It seemed that if it had wheels, a motor and went quick, he was interested. Robin moved to PN perhaps two years ago and has been well looked after by Joy and Terry Rush. I was present at the 2013 MSNZ Awards where Robin was given something like a lifetime achievement award - totally deserved, given that he'd been covering motor racing in NZ for over 50 years - and instead of simply saying nice things, he gave MSNZ a fair bollocking for their apathy towards history and the sport's heritage.

In 2014 MSNZ made five Heritage Awards and this year there were another three.

RIP Robin.

Robin was a true enthusiast who put his life and soul into motor racing. R.I.P. Robin

I still have my collection of Motorman mags and all thru my racing years you couldn't read an article on NZ motoracing without Robins name popping up. Great to see he got a lifetime achievement award. I hope he knew how popular he and his photos and writings were to us all. Typically of Kiwis we dont really think to say to people how we think they are doing such a great job. I guess we sought of just assume they will be around for ever!! RIP Robin.

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    I still have my collection of Motorman mags and all thru my racing years you couldn't read an article on NZ motoracing without Robins name popping up. Great to see he got a lifetime achievement award. I hope he knew how popular he and his photos and writings were to us all. Typically of Kiwis we dont really think to say to people how we think they are doing such a great job. I guess we sought of just assume they will be around for ever!! RIP Robin.
    I saw Robin a few months ago at H/D, got a bit of a shock as had not seen him for a few years, I often went up to Robin during the pre 65 years to say hi I recall often inviting him to our after race B/ Ques & beers he was a bit of a loner , but felt comfortable around the pre 65 boys catching up for a yak , & beer ....RIP Robin