Thread: Help/info wanted on 1967 Alluminium Bodied Special

Weekend Warrior

Help/info wanted on 1967 Alluminium Bodied Special

Hi All,

This is my first post so bare with me!.

I've recently started restoration on a 1967 Aluminium bodied Special (Similar to a Lotus 7). The car was originally built by Arthur (Art) McKee when he was 19 and he raced it for a couple of years until round 1970. It then changed hands to Malcolm Lee and to Malcolm (Brent) Mckeown in 1972, both of whom raced it. It competed well from what I've heard.

I've been in touch with Art and briefly with Malcolm, but I'm missing is history from 1972 onwards as Brent Mckeown has passed away and little is known of what happened to it during this period. I've acquired the car more or less in parts form, but its there although missing bits like its original drive train and some suspension. So it would be great if anyone knew what happened to it, had information on its history, whereabouts of parts, or just memories of it racing.

Much Appreciated.

I've attached some pics of the car racing which are courtesy of Art.

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Welcome to "The Roaring Season" Nick, and good luck with your search. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you. Unfortunately this era is prior to me discovering the magic of motorsport, so I can't contribute much. However one suggestion I have is to contact the Sports Car Club of New Zealand ... click here. This club caters for guys with this type of vehicle, so one of their members may have owned your car in the past. In fact when I raced a Chevron (and was a member of SCCNZ) one-off, 7-esque specials like this populated the grid at most race meetings.

One comment I will make is, I hope you plan to raise the height of the roll-hoop. Regulations were obviously less stringent back in the 60's!
    Last edited by John B; 04-15-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks John. The roll bar is missing, so raising it isnt a problem! (I'm on the North Shore too BTW)

Nick

I remember this car from when Art was a student at Otago and the car was based at Mornington Motors in Dunedin. I went to several race meetings with Art and was general helper and tow vehicle co-driver. The car was also road registered and the very trusting owner would allow me to take it for a thrash around town. I remember it being very quick with a 1650 Ford motor on twin weber DCOE's. Great to see the pictures. I wondered what had become of it and it is good to know it still exists and will be looked after.

Weekend Warrior
    Didn't Art have a little car yard beside the railway bridge in South Dunedin ...I used to go there at lunch times and chat with him even have a sketch some where of his top suspension arms ,as I has visions of building a U2 / 7 style clubby...and going on to be another Len Terry, Broadly, Chapman ....

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  IMG_0727-2.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  124.9 KBName:  P1090385-2.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  141.3 KB
    Thanks Guys. All help is appreciated.

Couple of shots of the car 'as found' and 'under restoration' as she is at present.

Regards

Nick

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Nick
    I remember Racing against Art McKee in our U2 in the late 60s. It was an orange /red colour with an Aluminium Nose. It was pretty quick for its day and we had some good scraps at Ruapuna and Timaru. We had just bought the U2 out so we were still getting used to it so he normally beat us. I have some photos somewhere of us racing and if I can sort out how to post them I will.
    Unfortunately the U2 and your car wont meet again as I have just sold the U2 to a guy in Sydney. I bought it from my Brothers estate when he died and bought it back to Australia where I did a complete restoration back to its 1960s spec.
    He will be racing it in the historic class over here.
    All the best with the restoration.
    regards Dave waldron

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolly View Post
    Name:  IMG_0727-2.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  124.9 KBName:  P1090385-2.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  141.3 KB
    Thanks Guys. All help is appreciated.

Couple of shots of the car 'as found' and 'under restoration' as she is at present.

Regards

Nick
    Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum and also the delights of racing an open sports car. Great to see real progress and I look forward to seeing it in action shortly. I would suggest you join the Historic Sports Racing Car Club, a good bunch of people who race for fun and fellowship. There is a heap of info out there don't be scared to ask.

Beowulf

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Dave,

I would love to have copies of your pictures and any stories, please get in touch.

Regards

Nick