Thread: HWM Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I will ask Graham McRae tomorrow morning about the HWM. Graham will remember it racing at Levin as Graham was in the same races that day. 1963.

Now i stand corrected here,but,i always remember it being called the HWM Corvette,remember it in the 60/70's racing at Puke,to say the least then it had so to speak a "golf ball' finish to it.Went alright though,cannot remember drivers name sorry.Probably put it on the grid a few times when i was a grid marshal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    Now i stand corrected here,but,i always remember it being called the HWM Corvette,remember it in the 60/70's racing at Puke,to say the least then it had so to speak a "golf ball' finish to it.Went alright though,cannot remember drivers name sorry.Probably put it on the grid a few times when i was a grid marshal.
    It was known as the HWM-Cadillac when the Avery Brothers imported it. It later used a variety of engines including a Continental aircraft engine, and both Ford and Chevrolet V8s. It was entered as the HWM-Thunderbird with the Ford engine and as a HWM-Corvette with the Chev.
    After the Avery ownership a number of drivers raced the car. Roly Levis, Peter Haskett, Ron Roycroft, John Donnelly, Graeme Hallen and John Monehan all drove it with varying degrees of success.
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 04-14-2017 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    It was known as the HWM-Cadillac when the Avery Brothers imported it. It later used a variety of engines including a Continental aircraft engine, and both Ford and Chevrolet V8s. It was entered as the HWM-Thunderbird with the Ford engine and as a HWM-Corvette with the Chev.
    After the Avery ownership a number of drivers raced the car. Roly Levis, Peter Haskett, Ron Roycroft, John Donnelly, George Hallen and John Monehan all drove it with varying degrees of success.
    Graeme Hallen. The Verco book has him incorrectly noted as George.
    Graeme still runs around , and was with us at Hampton downs last weekend