Thread: Phil Neill - R I P

Phil Neill - R I P

Sad to report that Phil Neill passed away on July 17th. He was 92.

Phil was a regular competitor in the Auckland region through the middle-fifties and entered the NZ Grand Prix on four occasions.

In 1954 he drove the FSS Special to 14th place. The following year he was in an Austin-Healey 100 and finished 12th.

Although he again entered in his Healey in 1956 he did not start the race.

He then acquired the ex-Zambucka Maserati 6CM and tried to qualify for the '57 GP but a blown supercharger put paid to that attempt.

As it states in his death notice Phil is "now racing cars in a better place."

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Sad to report that Phil Neill passed away on July 17th. He was 92.

Phil was a regular competitor in the Auckland region through the middle-fifties and entered the NZ Grand Prix on four occasions.

In 1954 he drove the FSS Special to 14th place. The following year he was in an Austin-Healey 100 and finished 12th.

Although he again entered in his Healey in 1956 he did not start the race.

He then acquired the ex-Zambucka Maserati 6CM and tried to qualify for the '57 GP but a blown supercharger put paid to that attempt.

As it states in his death notice Phil is "now racing cars in a better place."
    Phil used to come into the bookshop from time to time and chat about his time racing once he knew I was involved. He was a mate of Jack Brabham, and used to stay with him when he went to Australia. A nice guy and I will miss our chat sessions. He was entered for the 1956 Levin Labour Day race meeting in the Maserati but does not feature in the results.
    Last edited by beowulf; 07-20-2015 at 09:33 AM.