Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Dale,
    Is that the same car that Moffat raced at Bay Park in December 1975 ? ( That is 40 years ago and it still looks great.)
    Thanks for sharing, I must have walked past it and not realized what it was. There was so much to take in and enjoy here at Laguna Seca.

Dec. 1975. Coming up to the start at Bay Park. Leo Leonard # 4 and Allan Moffat # 7.
    Attachment 29983

(Ken Hyndman photo )
    Yes, same car Ken!! Norm said a couple of little items aren't correct and they plan to change them later, was last minute just to make Monterey!!

Dale M

We were lucky enough to spend time with ex-kiwi Bob Slade. It was great to catch up and see what Bob is keeping busy with. Bob builds F1 engines for a lot of the classic teams.
    Over the years Bob has prepared many Indy Cars and others. Collecting awards on the way.

Bob was good enough to let me photograph some of his scrap book from days back in NZ. and I will share these with you and no doubt they will open a couple of the minds of the South Island chapter who shared this time.

Nick Slade was also very generous with his time also and we spent time looking over the Shadows in his workshop, 3 F1s and the Can Am beast all under rebuild. (photos later)

Also caught up with Rob Kennard and he let me photo whats left of his scrapbook as well. As both said, they had heaps of photos but when you move things get "lost"

Maybe these photos can go another thread, but I will place here to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 08-31-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Earlier days,

Then the Capri.

More of the Capri and sparring partners Munty Capri and the Dickie Victor
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 08-30-2015 at 12:36 AM.

A little electrical problem with the Capri, and shot of Mustang at Bay Park on Northern trip with the Boy's.

Other classic shots of OSCA. Mr Vuyk and Mr Crowe at play

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Yes, same car Ken!! Norm said a couple of little items aren't correct and they plan to change them later, was last minute just to make Monterey!!

Dale M
    We had great chat with them also, was paying bit of attention to car and they asked if we knew it. Chatted about Bay Park etc and how along with Red's car it was first time 2 had raced together outside States. It is bloody nice and sounded the bit on track also.

The Epson Monza was there also and that sure gets it on.

Rob Kennard On left chatting with the present owner of the Cortina Steve Ross. They had just meet and chatted for along time about the car. Was handy as Rob discussed the car at length and new where there were parts etc to help finish rebuild. Will be great to see the car out running in classic events along with the PDL 1 which Steve also has in his toy shed.

Couple early shots of car

And later as remembered by many.

Couple of Mustang before Cortina. This is the car that Bob Slade ran later.

Caught up with a long time friend and his toy. This was the 1995 car and what a piece of beautiful work. Technology, grunt, handling, looks it had it all. It was very quick and it was great to see these top class drivers strutting their stuff. Steve is still quick and tidy.

Was great to catch up with Steve and his Beautiful wife.

Steve, you may like to move these to another appropriate thread As Old Photos or something if you like, and will concentrate on 2015 Rolex.

Sorry about delays in photos/reports etc of Rolex Monterey, but I am not running on all 8 at the moment, but as soon as tune up is finished we will be into it. Bit of time too size photos also.
    cheers
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 08-31-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Thank you Rod great photos........ hope yr tune up done soon ....cheers bro

This one of the model cars that nick had on display.

The following is as best as I can piece it together, but in Nicks shop is this car in real life and in rebuild mode.

Will post some photos of it as it first appeared in 1969 and then in 1970 on. This is one mean beast of a car, George Follmer must have found it uncomfortable to accommodate the balls needed to drive this.

These are 1969

Hopefully Nick can get onboard and straighten out the history, as I am sure to get some of it wrong.

The Shadow Mk I AVS (Advanced Vehicle System), as raced in the 1970 CanAm season, was the first Shadow CanAm car. Designer Don Nichols designed this odd looking car with only one thing in mind; the smallest frontal area as possible. He did this with the cooperation of tire manufacturer Firestone, they designed tires that were 30-35% smaller than the normal tires. With 10 inch rims up front the Mk I AVS had a 13sq-ft frontal area compared to the 19sq-ft frontal area of the 1969 M8B. It was capable of top speeds of 250mph and according to Firestone the tiny tires were capable of speeds of over 300mph.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-01-2015 at 10:26 AM.

In 1970 mode and photos of run at Rolex 2007

As we observed it in Nicks shop undergoing a very serious rebuild. Check out the peddle set up and also the seating position, not much in front of you.

This was some of the suspension set up. (inboard) Yes they are valve springs (big buggers) and you adjust the spring pressure/ride the same as adjusting tappets (pedastool with adjuster) amazing setup. it was not all together but you can get an idea of how it worked. They reckon there was not much movement and it really was a big go-kart with tyres doing a lot of suspension work.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Small front brakes because of room with small 10inch front wheels.

The engine was a neat bit also, you could pick it up as it was a dummy/pattern made out of plastic for set-up.

One of the F1 Shadows nearing completion. This was the JP Jarier car.

There are 3 in the shop at the moment.

This one should be extra good as it had Nick in charge with young Alan Dunkley helping (sleeping on floor) along with consultants Russell Greer, Steve Ross and David Arrowsmith keeping an eye on proceedings., a full Kiwi team.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-01-2015 at 10:36 AM.

World Champion
    I found some more photos on my tablet camera from my time at the Rolex.
    First one is of New Zealander Tony Nicholson showing my friend the internals of a McLaren M29 transmission.
    Tony and his son Colin were very friendly as usual even though they had much to do.
    Tony has more knowledge on McLaren race cars than anyone I know, especially Can Am.
    This is the site for Tony's fine business at Infineon Raceway. Take a look sometime.
    http://robinautomotive.com/contact/index.htm

Name:  20150815_141410_resized.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  104.7 KB

(Ken Hyndman photo )

World Champion
    As I was about to leave the track a marshal told me that with my ticket he would allow me into where the cars accelerated away from the pits and out onto the main circuit, I wish I had known that earlier as it gives a good view of what it was like at Laguna Seca on a clear day. I have been here before when the fog rolls in and viewing is almost impossible. So this is my last shots at the 2015 Rolex before heading home.

Name:  20150815_115216_resized.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  89.6 KB
    John Dimmer heading out in car # 21. A 1971 Tyrrell 004 followed by a McLaren and in the distance the blue 1974 Amon F101

Name:  20150815_115220_resized.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  145.6 KB
    This shows Charles Warner in car # 17 accelerating away in his pretty radically painted 1979 Shadow DN 9

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-03-2015 at 10:20 PM.