Thread: Jim Richards NZ Falcon Sports sedan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jim Richards NZ Falcon Sports sedan

I am the current owner Of the great N.Z. built Jim Richards Big M Falcon sports sedan. I bought it minus mechanicals in 1993. When I got it home and unpacked everything I had a good look at it all [in pieces] and thought what have I got myself into. At the time I was racing a full bodied Falcon XC coupe sports sedan which was simple, so when I looked at this space frame chassis with holes and mounts and brackets where an engine and transaxles had to somehow mount, I was lost. So I started reading how to build racecar books, how to make youre car handle books, looking at pictures, looking at other cars and taking photos, and fortunately being a metal fabricator it began to not look so hard.
    So to cut a long story short, it ended up with the 351 Cleveland and Top Loader gearbox that was out of the old car, a CAE quick change independent diff with Lola rear uprights and I was racing with pretty good success [ at club level] on a low budget.
    I eventually updated to a Nascar style Jerico transmission and later an SVO Nascar style engine.
    In around 1995 I had an engine failure, and so decided it was time to start restoring it back to JRs 1980 days, as by then I was able to get hold of a lot of the important original bits of the car from the Brian Walden ex Robin Doherty VP Commodore to which they had all gone. So since then its been a long hard road but it is all coming together including the Gurney Eagle headed Cleveland with Lucas mechanical fuel injection.

Hi there Graham, its great to have you here, and we'll all be looking forward to your informative updates and details on this amazing car.

Weekend Warrior
    Get some pictures up of the restoration Graham. We would all be interested for sure.
    Last edited by Chris Kitzen; 07-07-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Cheers
    ----------------
    Chris