Sonic Race
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 695

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

  1. #41
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957

    AHCCNZ Classic Hillclimb Otaua, 1985 pics

    More Lotii, the second Seven was supposed to be in the first set.

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #4 Lotus 7 !! v2, CCI26112015_0003 (2) (800x540).jpg
Views: 750
Size:  179.6 KB

    Ford Cortinas- powered by Lotus or was it " Lotus powered by Ford ".
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #6 Mk2 Lotus Cortina CCI26112015 (800x531).jpg
Views: 782
Size:  185.1 KB

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb #7 Mk1 Lotus Cortina CCI26112015_0001 (800x545).jpg
Views: 768
Size:  154.1 KB

    Rob Whitehouse amazing Lancia Stratos - believe left NZ a few years later for the UK.
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #8 Lancia Stratos - Rob Whitehouse CCI26112015_0002 (800x548) (780x.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  172.1 KB

    and the Stratos again
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #9 Stratos again CCI26112015_0003 (800x534) (780x521).jpg
Views: 735
Size:  174.7 KB

    Another E-type
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #10 E-Type Jaguar  CCI26112015_0004 (800x543) (780x529).jpg
Views: 723
Size:  179.4 KB

    To follow, Healey's big and small, Daimler SP250's, Marcos, Morgan, Buckler, Sunbeam and a Triumph TR, from the 1985 shots, then we will move to 1988 again
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-26-2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: 1988 not 1998 oops ### 47

  2. #42
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957

    Eligibility of entries

    Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    Roger, the Otaua Hill Climb is alive and well, and has been for at least the last 15 years I've been a member of the MGCC. The MGCC ( Auckland ) still organise and run it, in fact the 2015 edition was run just a couple of weeks ago.
    Must mention the " Eligibilty " of the vehicles that could compete, it was based around Classic Sports as the Healeys were, and allowed saloons of Classic status but a very important part of the acceptance was a clause that said,
    " any vehicle acceptable to the organisers "
    , hence vintage " the BSA " and single seaters that were not road registered, John Wigstons car and a couple of others that did compete.
    Was a big event to organise for a club that was largely social and not into competitive events, they ran Gymkhana's in the early days with kids as passengers, a bit like Vintage Clubs did, then a few got the racing / competing bug and moved into those events, the Hill Climb the Le mans relay races etc..

    Not sure what the rules are these days.

  3. #43
    It's largely club / race / Targa cars and road cars, with a few rally cars now and then. Thames Valley Car Club usually have a few members in attendance, at least they did when I was around to see it. Not sure if you could put a single seater in it these days.

    I'll enter it again one day when I finish working over the ditch.
    Last edited by Andrew Metford; 11-27-2015 at 01:25 AM.

  4. #44
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957

    AHCCNZ Classic Hillclimb Otaua, 1985 pics Healeys big and small

    A much modified 3000, think it is Frank Karls purple one in another iteration, small windscreen and has the side vents and those big hotwire type wheels.

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #11  Healey 3000 #1, CCI27112015 (780x531).jpg
Views: 688
Size:  154.6 KB

    getting closer
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #12 Healey 3000 #2 CCI27112015_0001 (780x531) (2).jpg
Views: 733
Size:  180.9 KB

    Up close
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #13 Healey 3000 #3 CCI27112015_0002 (780x515).jpg
Views: 682
Size:  147.5 KB

    same colour but smaller " I shrunk the Healey !! "
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #14 Sprite - shrunk the 3000 !! CCI27112015_0003 (780x520).jpg
Views: 706
Size:  143.9 KB

    another Sprite - this may have been at the Classic Le Mans races at Pukekohe but on the same film " mar 85 ".
    Cameron Mackay and a hidden Team Healey guy working on the wheel.
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #15 Sprite in pits CCI27112015_0004 (780x527).jpg
Views: 676
Size:  146.4 KB

  5. #45
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957

    AHCCNZ Classic Hillclimb Otaua, 1985 three old Daims and TiaRa

    Three shots of Daimler SP250's , and a TR5, [ I think - cut the tail off, bad panning ].

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #16 Daimler SP 250 -black  #1 CCI30112015 (780x523).jpg
Views: 617
Size:  172.2 KB

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #17 Daimler pic 2 CCI30112015_0001 (780x522).jpg
Views: 629
Size:  170.9 KB

    change of colour
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #18 Daimler SP 250 red CCI30112015_0002 (780x534).jpg
Views: 639
Size:  131.2 KB

    and the TR - they did share some mechanicals I believe .. steering rack, suspension or ??.
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb #19 Triumph TR5 !! v2, CCI30112015_0003 (2) (750x509).jpg
Views: 626
Size:  159.5 KB

  6. #46
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957

    AHCCNZ Classic Hillclimb Otaua, 1985 pics Sunbeam, Morgan, Buckler and Marcos

    Some of the rarer competitors - all sports cars

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #20 Sunbeam Alpine CCI30112015 (780x527).jpg
Views: 624
Size:  131.3 KB

    Morgan - Derek Atkinson was a regular entrant - but is this him ??
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #21 Morgan CCI30112015_0001 (780x515).jpg
Views: 625
Size:  125.6 KB

    Buckler I love these, remember Bruce Sutcliffe as a regular competitor in various events - unsure whose this is !!
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #22 Buckler CCI30112015_0002 (780x521).jpg
Views: 615
Size:  122.3 KB

    Marcos, please help me here, think this one was Volvo powered !!

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #23 Marcos CCI30112015_0003 (780x526) (760x513).jpg
Views: 613
Size:  172.9 KB

    That is the last of 1985 pics

    1988 to follow

  7. #47
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957
    JAFA " I'll enter it again one day when I finish working over the ditch. " were are you this land of Ours / Auss, I am in Queensland between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast on an Island that has a Road Bridge - the only such Island in QLD.
    Probably will not compete again, but would love to spectate again, as I did some years, most years I was a Marshall and / or Organiser.

  8. #48
    Based in Perth, work in and around the North West Shelf / Pilbara area. My commute to work ( each way ) is the same distance as Auckland to Invercargill, fortunately work transports me, and it's not daily.

    When I tell me friends at home it takes me 2 hours on a jet plane to get to work, then I stay there for 4 weeks and work every day of those 4 weeks, then fly back to town and have a week off before doing it all again, they can't comprehend it, working 1600-odd km's away from where you live and the time away from civilisation and everything people take for granted etc. I guess you can't unless you've actually done it. It took me a while to get used to it.

    It's been an experience, I'll tell you that, and not always good either. It's very draining, mentally more than physically, and I can understand why suicide is such a big problem in the industry.

    Not long now, 16 months and counting, can't wait to get out of here, hot sandy hell hole, and that's just Perth!!
    Last edited by Andrew Metford; 12-01-2015 at 02:25 AM.

  9. #49
    Roger -are you on Briebie Island, eating Moreton Bay Bugs ?
    22 years ago a Kiwi over there got me to come over and trim a 1912 Model T for him- he couldnt find a Trimmer over there.
    It had a Road Bridge, and cane toads to soften your steps at night.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-01-2015 at 02:09 AM.

  10. #50
    World Champion ERC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, North Shore
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Some of the rarer competitors - all sports cars

    Marcos, please help me here, think this one was Volvo powered !!

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #23 Marcos CCI30112015_0003 (780x526) (760x513).jpg
Views: 613
Size:  172.9 KB

    That is the last of 1985 pics.
    When the AHCC dropped out, MGCC picked it up! Derek Prior, then the MGCC President and I got involved. I changed the timing system that the MGCC used which was electronic, one car at a time on the hill, which is not very efficient. Timing to 1/100th of a second is not required, so I initiated three or 4 stopwatches at the finish line, with a radio call from the start line "car #39: 3 - 2 -1 Go!"

    I had all results printed out at the Tavern almost as soon as the track had been cleared from the last run...

    Yellow Marcos looks to be my car, based on the Cosmic wheels, too large rear tyres and probably driven by Richard Atkinson, but the graphics on the side don't strike a chord and I can't see the lower sill, which is the main give away. If so, yes, 3 litre Volvo - one of just 198 made and one of the few with a competition history, as most racers in Europe use the smaller, lighter B20 (1800cc) engine.

    OR - It could be Pete Johns from Napier... It would be nice to be sure. The only other Marcos Volvo 3 litre in the country was/is black, owned and raced then by Dave Walker.

    Name:  185_170a.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  95.8 KB

    This was taken in 1985 too, definitely Richard Atkinson (my car) and there is probably a difference in driver helmets as well as the graphics, and no MOC badge in the lower left screen. So who knows? Maybe Richard had only just bought it?

    Richard eventually had two Marcos, both painted yellow. Your pic is most likely the Volvo one as I don't think he'd then acquired the Ford V6 which was blue and plywood chassis, currently owned by Historic Formula Ford racer Phil Foulkes (unless he's sold it).

    The red Daimler SP250 with white stripes I think is Rob Douglas.

    The white Morgan could be Paul Leuch as I think it is before Derek Atkinson's move up from a Plus 4 and that looks to be an early +8. If so, the car is currently owned by Chris Fraser.
    Last edited by ERC; 12-01-2015 at 03:00 AM.

  11. #51
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    When the AHCC dropped out, MGCC picked it up! Derek Prior, then the MGCC President and I got involved. I changed the timing system that the MGCC used which was electronic, one car at a time on the hill, which is not very efficient. Timing to 1/100th of a second is not required, so I initiated three or 4 stopwatches at the finish line, with a radio call from the start line "car #39: 3 - 2 -1 Go!"

    I had all results printed out at the Tavern almost as soon as the track had been cleared from the last run...

    Yellow Marcos looks to be my car, based on the Cosmic wheels, too large rear tyres and probably driven by Richard Atkinson, but the graphics on the side don't strike a chord and I can't see the lower sill, which is the main give away. If so, yes, 3 litre Volvo - one of just 198 made and one of the few with a competition history, as most racers in Europe use the smaller, lighter B20 (1800cc) engine.

    OR - It could be Pete Johns from Napier... It would be nice to be sure. The only other Marcos Volvo 3 litre in the country was/is black, owned and raced then by Dave Walker.

    Name:  185_170a.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  95.8 KB

    This was taken in 1985 too, definitely Richard Atkinson (my car) and there is probably a difference in driver helmets as well as the graphics, and no MOC badge in the lower left screen. So who knows? Maybe Richard had only just bought it?

    Richard eventually had two Marcos, both painted yellow. Your pic is most likely the Volvo one as I don't think he'd then acquired the Ford V6 which was blue and plywood chassis, currently owned by Historic Formula Ford racer Phil Foulkes (unless he's sold it).

    The red Daimler SP250 with white stripes I think is Rob Douglas.

    The white Morgan could be Paul Leuch as I think it is before Derek Atkinson's move up from a Plus 4 and that looks to be an early +8. If so, the car is currently owned by Chris Fraser.
    ERC, Ray thanks for that information about both the Hill Climb and the cars. I knew Derek Prior - he had a very nice well sorted MGB which he raced .. not sure if he ever did the Otaua Hill when AHCC ran it.
    thanks again.

    Oh as an aside - our timing was by stopwatch at the top with the car starts being radioed R/T's I think to Bruce and others at the finish line, no hockey sticks The Radios were provided by a Car Club member who had an R/T business.


    Roger

  12. #52
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957

    AHCCNZ Classic Hillclimb Otaua, more pics - from 1988 I think

    A couple of TR's

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 - 88 #24 TR 4 - 5  CCI01122015 (760x507).jpg
Views: 569
Size:  94.0 KB

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 - 88 #25 TR6 CCI01122015_0001 (760x507).jpg
Views: 566
Size:  102.4 KB

    and a couple of Cortina's - could be same car can't quite get the Rego plate.

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 - 88 #26 Lotus Cortina Mk 1 CCI01122015_0002 (760x510).jpg
Views: 558
Size:  100.8 KB

    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 - 88 #27 Lotus Cortina rear view CCI01122015_0003 (760x517).jpg
Views: 629
Size:  88.6 KB

    This Lotus Cortina features in post #41 as well with number plate more readable.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-01-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: more info..

  13. #53
    World Champion ERC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, North Shore
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    and a TVR Vixen !!.
    Attachment 31847
    I think that may well be Alan Lacey and I don't think it is a Vixen. Probably a 3000M. He was a buddy of the 2 Marcos drivers. He later raced a Capri 3 litre and did Targa in a Sierra 4x4.

    Post #52 could be Chris Watson.

    Just for you Roger. (Chris White's car I believe.)

    Name:  210_0122_165.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  34.5 KB

    Last edited by ERC; 12-01-2015 at 09:33 AM.

  14. #54
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I think that may well be Alan Lacey and I don't think it is a Vixen. Probably a 3000M. He was a buddy of the 2 Marcos drivers. He later raced a Capri 3 litre and did Targa in a Sierra 4x4.

    Post #52 could be Chris Watson.

    Just for you Roger. (Chris White's car I believe.)

    Name:  210_0122_165.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  34.5 KB

    ERC thanks and yes it is.. there was also a sticker that said " Healey Drivers go in deeper and come out harder ", no idea what that mean't !!

  15. #55
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Olivos, California, 93441
    Posts
    2,416
    I thought that was for a Ginger biscuit dipped in a cup of tea !


    KH

  16. #56
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Roger -are you on Briebie Island, eating Moreton Bay Bugs ?
    22 years ago a Kiwi over there got me to come over and trim a 1912 Model T for him- he couldnt find a Trimmer over there.
    It had a Road Bridge, and cane toads to soften your steps at night.
    John M,
    Bridge still here on Bribie to " connect us to Australia " as we locals say and yes Moreton Bay Bugs are great, the Cane Toads no so, bloody noisy smelly horrible creatures.
    There are quite a lot of interesting cars on the Island and one workshop hack is a beautiful mid 1950's Ford F100 the model with the " Spinner " type grille, will take a photo and post. there is also a huge 1957 Dodge with those angled fins, Morris 8, Austin A40 Devon MG TC, those two neglected Volvo 240GT's, plus other Australian and American Classics, lots of early Holdens, the place is a venue for a lot of Club runs and displays as well, makes my SX4 look very ordinary.

  17. #57
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I thought that was for a Ginger biscuit dipped in a cup of tea !


    KH
    Ken " Griffins " of course, can get them at the local IGA, as well as Chocolate Fish, Pineapple chunks and " Lemon and Paeroa "

  18. #58
    Roger- while I was working there, I was given a red 1965 Dodge Cart Convertible, used to belng to Bryan Jackson- Caravan and Vintage Car fame over here.
    I was working at Rod Welchs house for several weeks-Dec 94- still got the pics.
    Also there was a XK150 Coupe sitting at a Marine Trimmers workshop, owner had bought a trim kit 3 years previously and no one could fit it. They tried to get me to do it, but I was there for a holiday as well.
    While I was there, I also saw a LIP Vauxhall convert, a EIP Vagabond (Convert) .Both very rare, probably Aussie Bodies
    Over here I trimmed a 1936 Austin 12 , with a Body by Holden plate on it.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-02-2015 at 02:08 AM.

  19. #59
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    1,957
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Roger- while I was working there, I was given a red 1965 Dodge Cart Convertible, used to belng to Bryan Jackson- Caravan and Vintage Car fame over here.
    I was working at Rod Welchs house for several weeks-Dec 94- still got the pics.
    Also there was a XK150 Coupe sitting at a Marine Trimmers workshop, owner had bought a trim kit 3 years previously and no one could fit it. They tried to get me to do it, but I was there for a holiday as well.
    While I was there, I also saw a LIP Vauxhall convert, a EIP Vagabond (Convert) .Both very rare, probably Aussie Bodies
    Over here I trimmed a 1936 Austin 12 , with a Body by Holden plate on it.
    John M, I think the Vagabond is still around a palish green from memory, not BRG - a bit lighter.
    Am going to grab my camera and do a tour around in the next few days and photo the interesting vehicles, worth a place in " Yards and Yarns " I reckon. oh and there are two shortened BMC ragtops on the island, a shortened and roofless Morris Minor Utility, and a very short 2 seater roofless Mini, owned by the guy with the Austin A40 Devon and the Morris 8, he also has a 1950's Bedford truck.
    and there is an early Ford Transit with sliding doors, not to mention VW Kombis in various conditions from rough to great.

  20. #60
    World Champion ERC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, North Shore
    Posts
    3,211
    Just for you Roger - probably from the 1989 event. Just 2 pics on here. Any others will go on my "Mix of Pics" thread.


    Name:  189_0304_004 Healey.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  172.8 KB

    Sometimes, things didn't go totally to plan... I believe the AHCC named the various corners after the people who first came to grief on them (or off them).
    Name:  189_0304_007 Datsun.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  164.8 KB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •