Monster Race Wear
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Castrol Achievements Book - 1960 Austin - Healey's competing. plus a story.

Following on from the Castrol Card series - I remember these books from the 1960's had several years of them, but now gone - where ?? Was only 13 when this one came out - must have pestered my Dad to get hold of them.

He used to bring home the " Bedford Transport Magazine " from his work at Briscoe and Co - the real Briscoe's hardware and Ironmongers, and New Zealand Agents for " Michelin Tyres ".

He told the story once of the Michelin Man - not the logo one !!, arriving in New Zealand for a meeting with Briscoe and Co, about Tyre supplies [ subject to strict Import Licensing in those times ] and was asked about them setting up a factory in NZ - the response was they could make in One Day enough tyres for whole New Zealand tyre market's annual sales.
    That was around the time that Goodrich had helped Reidrubber set up a factory in NZ with locally made tyres. - had some on my cars over the years,
    before preferring Dunlops on my Mini's and that TR and had Pirelli's on my yellow Sprite.

Name:  My Cars #72 1965 A-H Sprite Gymkhana Mangere Town Centre 1974 CCI09022016_0001 (790x800) (2).jpg
Views: 100
Size:  171.4 KB
    Own photo of the Sprite and Mangere Town Centre in 1974.

Dennis Green of Northern Sports Car Club - their photographer, took this photo - when BMC BOY was doing the same for Auckland Car Club.
    More action in the D Green photo !!

Name:  My Cars #70 1965 Austin Healey Sprite 1098cc Gymkhana Mangere Town Centre 1974 v3, CCI28122015_0.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  107.7 KB

These from Paul O'Neill, who had the " Castrol " Cards - Racing Car Series -
    They have been put on ERC's " Bookshelf " thread.

The 1960 edition -pages related to Austin Healey - including the front cover with URX 727 the Pat Moss Ann Wisdom [ Riley ] car.

Name:  Motor Racing UK #7 Castrol Book 1960 Front Cover Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 88
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #8 Castrol Book 1960 Pat Moss tribute Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 92
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #9 Castrol Book 1960 Alpine Rally Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 93
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #10 Castrol Book 1960 more A-H results Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 96
Size:  50.6 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-11-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: more info and pics ####47

He told the story once of the Michelin Man - not the logo one !!, arriving in New Zealand for a meeting with Briscoe and Co, about Tyre supplies [ subject to strict Import Licensing in those times ] and was asked about them setting up a factory in NZ - the response was they could make in One Day enough tyres for whole New Zealand tyre market's annual sales.
    That was around the time that Goodrich had helped Reidrubber set up a factory in NZ with locally made tyres. - had some on my cars over the years,

Roger.....can you guess what company makes worldwide the highest number of tyres per year?

Dont anyone else put the answer up, this is for Roger
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 06-12-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Just imagine the supply lines keeping the materials coming for that kind of production level!

Michelin told me their production capability world wide could do every inflatable tyre in NZ in around 14 minutes when I was importing some specific ones in the 1990s. No wonder we had to wait on occasion!

Did I guess No - Google it Yes ..

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post

PS my Dads comment was from the late 1950's early 1960's ***

Roger.....can you guess what company makes worldwide the highest number of tyres per year?

Dont anyone else put the answer up, this is for Roger
    And here is one commentary on that Figure ..... a few years old .. no one mentioned car truck bus etc .. or full size tyres or tires .. ??

" And the World's Largest Tire Manufacturer Is… Drumroll Please…
    Company Tires produced (2011)
    Lego* 318 million
    Bridgestone 190 million
    Michelin 184 million
    Goodyear 181 million "

and by Dollar Value - Bridgestone !! guess the average Lego tyre cost only a few cents or a dollar or so !!.. Lets not mention wheelbarrows and motor mowers !!

Interesting topic - as off this very morning to see Steve Abbott, son of Russ Abbott of Rallying Triumph Dolomite fame to price two tyres for my daily driver .. didn't want to go and see Del Trotter !!.

Name:  Tyres Del Trotter and Co. Steve Johnson archive .jpg
Views: 80
Size:  103.0 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-12-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: more info and a pic ####47

DD300 Le Mans 1961 car- became John Chatham's later and VOK490

Two Works cars both well known .
    Photos from Karsten Stelk archives ;

Name:  AH 3000 #92 DD300 J Chatham TRS K Stelk  (800x530).jpg
Views: 73
Size:  145.4 KB
    DD 300 went to the USA in 1990 for the USA / UK Team Challenge.
    believe it was also in Australia at Bathurst in 1985 for the all Healey race that preceded the Bathurst 1000 - won by the Jaguar XJS V12 Coupe.

Another photo of VOK490 - in readiness for a Rally - year unknown.

Name:  AH 100 SIX #35 VOK490 Rally Trim K Stelk .jpg
Views: 75
Size:  158.5 KB

and finally the Main photo for the Facebook group " Old British Car Club "

Name:  AH 3000 #89 3000 and Old British Car Club logo OBCC .jpg
Views: 71
Size:  142.3 KB.

Hmmm...

'All Healey' race at Bathurst? I'm sure that was 1998, with a follow-up in 1999.

Hmmm !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Hmmm...

'All Healey' race at Bathurst? I'm sure that was 1998, with a follow-up in 1999.
    That has got me thinking Ray Bell, !! But,
    - pretty sure the Race I am thinking of was 1985 as I had it on VHS tape -which I stupidly dumped many years later as we had a DVD player by the mid 1990's should have had it converted to DVD or CD Rom .. and remember I was still living in Herne Bay at the time, sold that place in 1995..

Name:  My Cars #200 The Garage 1985 TR4A CCI12102016_0005 (800x535) (2).jpg
Views: 63
Size:  125.0 KB

Others may know more !
    But you have got me thinking, Mate !! Cheers

Held to celebrate 50 years of Healey cars...

1948 to 1998. And featuring Peter Hopwood's fantastic drive.

The Sir Donald Healey International Tribute Race 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Held to celebrate 50 years of Healey cars...

1948 to 1998. And featuring Peter Hopwood's fantastic drive.
    Ray saw a bit about it when I googled Austin Healey's at Bathurst ;
    The [ Sir ] Donald Healey International Tribute Race - and yes Peter gets a mention .. Dennis Welch and John Chatham were there too !!
    This should be the clip - about 15 minutes long;

" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxwgGKzYmXk "

Just checked and it works !! Cheers Ray..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-15-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Peter would have got more of a 'mention' if his plan had come off...

A very brave race for a man as ill as he was.

The following year they had another Healey race, the commentator on TV said, "Peter Hopwood isn't here this year, but he'll be watching us now."

In fact, he was in hospital having his spinal cord cut so he could endure for just a little longer.

Actually, that clip is the minor race...

It was in the main event when Peter showed Welch his shortcomings.

AH the model collection 2019

Austin Healey's Small, 1;18,
    Smaller 1;43
    Smallest 1;87

Name:  Models #317 A AH collection 2019 R Dowding .jpg
Views: 19
Size:  133.9 KB