Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Some of the rarer competitors - all sports cars

Marcos, please help me here, think this one was Volvo powered !!

Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #23 Marcos CCI30112015_0003 (780x526) (760x513).jpg
Views: 3804
Size:  172.9 KB

That is the last of 1985 pics.
    When the AHCC dropped out, MGCC picked it up! Derek Prior, then the MGCC President and I got involved. I changed the timing system that the MGCC used which was electronic, one car at a time on the hill, which is not very efficient. Timing to 1/100th of a second is not required, so I initiated three or 4 stopwatches at the finish line, with a radio call from the start line "car #39: 3 - 2 -1 Go!"

I had all results printed out at the Tavern almost as soon as the track had been cleared from the last run...

Yellow Marcos looks to be my car, based on the Cosmic wheels, too large rear tyres and probably driven by Richard Atkinson, but the graphics on the side don't strike a chord and I can't see the lower sill, which is the main give away. If so, yes, 3 litre Volvo - one of just 198 made and one of the few with a competition history, as most racers in Europe use the smaller, lighter B20 (1800cc) engine.

OR - It could be Pete Johns from Napier... It would be nice to be sure. The only other Marcos Volvo 3 litre in the country was/is black, owned and raced then by Dave Walker.

Name:  185_170a.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  95.8 KB

This was taken in 1985 too, definitely Richard Atkinson (my car) and there is probably a difference in driver helmets as well as the graphics, and no MOC badge in the lower left screen. So who knows? Maybe Richard had only just bought it?

Richard eventually had two Marcos, both painted yellow. Your pic is most likely the Volvo one as I don't think he'd then acquired the Ford V6 which was blue and plywood chassis, currently owned by Historic Formula Ford racer Phil Foulkes (unless he's sold it).

The red Daimler SP250 with white stripes I think is Rob Douglas.

The white Morgan could be Paul Leuch as I think it is before Derek Atkinson's move up from a Plus 4 and that looks to be an early +8. If so, the car is currently owned by Chris Fraser.
    Last edited by ERC; 12-01-2015 at 04:00 AM.