Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Austin Healey Club of Oregon - RIP John Wilson

John Wilson, a Longtime member of the Austin Healey Club of Oregon, passed away a few days ago in Oregon, a friend and great Guy with a long association through the " World of the Austin Healey's " with the Austin Healey Car Club of New Zealand.
    John and his late wife Shirley visited New Zealand in 1984 and 1988, with AH people from various West Coast USA Clubs, in return there were several many visits by AHCCNZ people to Oregon.
    I first met John and Shirley at the " 30th Anniversary of the Austin Healey " at Snowmass [ at Aspen ], Colorado in July 1982, when the intrepid " Four Kiwi's in a Kombi " BMC BOY, and myself, with Bryan and Brenda Harris, travelled from Los Angeles, to San Diego, into Mexico - Ensenada and the Coast, we then headed North up the Coast Road, all the way to Vancouver Canada.
    We saw John and Shirley again, in Eugene Oregon, at their home and at the Oregon Club's Rally at Medford Oregon.
    John and Shirley visited us in Auckland and on the AHCCNZ Rally at Napier in 1984 and stayed with us in 1988, when they came with other Oregon Club members to attend Wings over Wanaka and the South Island Healey meeting.
    Later in 1988 visited the West Coast of the USA again,California, Oregon and Washington State, staying with the Wilson's in Eugene Oregon, going to the Historic races at Portland, and borrowing from John one of his Austin Healey's a barn find [ Arizona Car ] 3000 which we used for 10 days or so covering over 2000 miles.
    Had been back in touch with John in recent years, and was sad to receive news from Jerry Luidahl, a mutual friend and fellow Healey and Car enthusiast.

A couple photos that relate to John ; RIP the Big Guy
    At the Puketapu Hotel, with BMC BOY on the left and John Wilson on the right, next to John the other 2 of the " Four Kiwi's " and next to them Shirley Wilson,
    The line up, Ross, my wife Pauline, Wayne Brown from Oregon, Rene from California, Sylvia from Oregon, Shirley Wilson, Bryan, Brenda and Big John, the Healey 100 was mine.
    Name:  AHCCNZ events #100 1984 Napier Rally Puketapu Hotel on Monday CCI28042016_0004 (750x497).jpg
Views: 885
Size:  133.5 KB

John and his son Robert - their business in Marcola, Oregon " Healey Lane Restorations "

Name:  AHCC John Wilson Oregon and Healeys his business .jpg
Views: 889
Size:  90.6 KB

John Wilson's Healey that we borrowed with Wayne Brown's car in front - Note the NZ number plate, had an Oregon Plate on the back and NO we never got stopped !!

Name:  AH PIR 1988 #20, Healeys  Wayne Brown fr borrowed one John Wilson's r CCI05012016 (800x567) (2).jpg
Views: 844
Size:  165.8 KB

John Wilson's A - H 3000 and Healey trailer at Medford in August 1982, the car and trailer went to Snowmass in the July
    Name:  Healey trip 1982 #142 Medford AH Club Oregon Wilson's Healey & trailer 04;09;82 CCI28062016_0001.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  178.8 KB

My Healey at Herne Bay with the Wyoming AH 56 plate
    Name:  AH Garage Herne Bay 1990 Healey -US plate - MGB CCI26092016_0002 (800x509) (2).jpg
Views: 843
Size:  106.6 KB

The Number Plate given to me by Big John Wilson, still have it thanks again Mate !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-27-2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: more info and pics ####47