Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great pics there, Roger, m thanks also to Jim Barclay.

In particular it's interesting to see Roy Billington racing as, of course, I only knew him as Jack's mechanic when they made the annual trek here a decade or so later.

By the way, the use of the term, 'Tasman Series', is not correct until 1964. It was actually in 1960 that races were first held in Australia to coincide with the International visitors being just across the ditch at that time of year. Then in 1962 it became a more organised kind of setup and the promoters were all talking to each other. But only in 1964 did the term 'Tasman' become applied to it as the FIA sanctioned the 'Tasman Cup' as a proper series with pointscore and trophy to match.

Tasman, Healeys, Billington, and !!.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Great pics there, Roger, m thanks also to Jim Barclay.

In particular it's interesting to see Roy Billington racing as, of course, I only knew him as Jack's mechanic when they made the annual trek here a decade or so later.

By the way, the use of the term, 'Tasman Series', is not correct until 1964. It was actually in 1960 that races were first held in Australia to coincide with the International visitors being just across the ditch at that time of year. Then in 1962 it became a more organised kind of setup and the promoters were all talking to each other. But only in 1964 did the term 'Tasman' become applied to it as the FIA sanctioned the 'Tasman Cup' as a proper series with pointscore and trophy to match.
    Cheers, Ray the " Tasman " series details, thanks.
    When the first " Ardmore " New Zealand Grand Prix was held in 1954 a few of your compatriots came over, Stan Jones Jack Brabham Tony Gaze L Molina [ in his Holden powered Single Seater and the like ].
    Stan winning the first Ardmore in the Maybach, a couple of English drivers came out to Ken Wharton, and Peter Whitehead.

Name:  Ardmore #1 1954 GP results Win Bristow sketches CCI21112016 (640x456).jpg
Views: 419
Size:  132.3 KB

Three Austin Healey's finished only, all 100,s including Ross Jensen as the 100" S " he raced didn't arrive in New Zealand until November 1955.

First "Official NZ GP was actually at Ohakea in 1950. won by John McMillan in the Jackson [ Logan, later the Northland Special ]

A sketch of the " Australian Special " Holden powered of L Molina.
    Sketch by Winton Bristow, a great Mate of my Uncle Eddie Dowding [ RIP Win and Eddie ].

Name:  Win Bristow Ardmore Holden Special - Australian Competitor 19-05-2015 04;07;59PM.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  148.7 KB

Another Jim Barclay archives photo - of the Billington Elfo Special, was referred to as a Buckler, probably because it had the De Joux body that a lot of Bucklers used. I have been told that it had a " Buckler " style chassis .. must go and check that out. The White Buckler in the photos belonged to " Bill Harris ! "

Name:  Motor Racing Levin #75 1958 Nov 29th Levin - #28 R.I. Billington Whangarei, Elfo Spl 1172cc - Bl.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  126.2 KB

Roy was a Northland Boy, - seen here competing at Puhipuhi, a Northland Car Club Hillclimb - have posted a photo or two of Healey's at these events.
    Photo from Brian Skudder - a stalwart of Northland Car Club - which had a great relationship with Northern Sports car Club in my 1970's - still would have I imagine.

Name:  Motor racing Puhipuhi #6 Roy Billington 1, Brian Skudder  (2).jpg
Views: 391
Size:  36.4 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-21-2019 at 01:40 AM. Reason: lost attachment Ardmore '54