Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    A 'Healey-Valiant' would have to be powered by a Slant 6, they were about 3.76-litres but could stand a lot of boring out.

But would the engine have been installed as a slant, or vertically? As a slant it would have made it terribly difficult to work on.

And what might an earlier '4000' have carried under the bonnet?

Perhaps a Princess R engine like the factory 4000s? Or is that too much to ask?
    Ray Bell the Princess R motor was my thought too !!.

Tha Valiant Healey " Healey Valiant " did have the slant six - I don't have a photo of the original Valiant motor when fitted but do have this photos of the current installation. On a slant with the lovely Webers sitting flat ..

Name:  AH 3000 #106 Valiant Healey 2019 -engine Milan Fistonic.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  175.8 KB
    Photo by Milan Fistonic - rebuild by the current owner - who had to take out the non-compliant V8

One of the Owners [ Grant McKenzie ] photos of the car from Mark Donaldson at the All British Day in Auckland last year I think

Name:  AH 3000 #105 Valiant Healey 2019 -Grant Mackenzie Mark Donaldson pic.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  87.4 KB

Bill Bolton's Healey Racer Corvallis Oregon

Learn't a bit more about this car from another guy that both Bill and I know - Rex Urban from Salem Oregon was a Sprite and small BMC Cars Man Austin A30's A40's -[ which were pretty rare in the USA ] Rex and his mate Paul Lawry and Mini's ran " Mini Motors " for many years - Rex Urban is still restoring and rebuilding cars.

The photo again.

Name:  AH 3000 #197 Bill Bolton racer Xmas card 1983 CCI01102019_0018 (800x396) (2).jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  100.7 KB

a bit of the story on the car;

" Rex Urban – who restored the car in White ; it was restored as it raced in the can-am racing series. White.. I'll look for pictures. It had very interesting mods. Lots of alloy and no vent in the bonnet. Light doors and boot. Brings back memories of 1980s.

Dave Birchall; That would make it the 1961 Canadian Championship winner? With alloy body. Driven by Grant Clark?

Rex Urban : reply to Dave Birchall ; Yes!!! That's it!.. Bill made sure that the numbers were exactly correct. Wonderful car. Lots of mods to the engine. Very driveable
    "

Bills other two racers - ABL6 the Modsport type car and UJB141 the ex Sebring 1960 works car part of a Team of 3, UJB143 did Le mans as well in 1960. UJB141 had a huge rollover at Sebring.

Name:  AH 3000 #126 UJB141 on a roll-over crop (2).jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  75.4 KB

Both these cars have been sold by Bill, the Modsport ABL6 is in the UK, UJB141 and the above racer I am unsure

Name:  AH 3000 #141 ABL6 with UJB141 Bill Bolton and Mark Donaldson Ross Cammick  (2).jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  125.3 KB

Rex Urban will look for photos of the car and its rebuild.
    Interestingly a couple of ex North American racers have made their way to New Zealand - unsure if they have been rebuilt restored yet - one arrived in the 1980's and owned by Mark Donaldson.