Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "Boat anchor" would probably be a good description if it's the truck motor...

They were also used in the A125 Sheerline and big Princess models of the late forties and early fifties, they would have put an enormous load on that Healey front end.

It was, in fact, the six from which the Healey four was derived. Built on a pre-war truck engine which started out, IIRC, at 3500cc.

Rex Law used one briefly in his Regal...

...but replaced it with a Cadillac V8. His was 3500cc from a military ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    "Boat anchor" would probably be a good description if it's the truck motor...

They were also used in the A125 Sheerline and big Princess models of the late forties and early fifties, they would have put an enormous load on that Healey front end.

It was, in fact, the six from which the Healey four was derived. Built on a pre-war truck engine which started out, IIRC, at 3500cc.

Rex Law used one briefly in his Regal...

...but replaced it with a Cadillac V8. His was 3500cc from a military ambulance.
    They where a pretty reliable truck engine in there day, only the odd burnt valve [typical of that head design] but not many other problems, would never think you would be able to get a lot of performance out of one though, the McLouclan brothers were in the TVCC, around the same time as I was.

The Mcl brothers and the Healey 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    They where a pretty reliable truck engine in there day, only the odd burnt valve [typical of that head design] but not many other problems, would never think you would be able to get a lot of performance out of one though, the McLouclan brothers were in the TVCC, around the same time as I was.
    Kevin, Hi,
    I remember we [ teams of cars from Northern Sports car Club ] used to compete in Trials run by Thames Valley Car Club, as part of the Mercury Trophy series in the mid 1970's.
    The mention of Thames - do you know Lloyd Gleeson ?, a Thames Boy who now lives in New Plymouth, he still has his Morgan Plus 4 that he bought new in the UK around 1970. he is a good mate of my Neighbour in Omokoroa, also a Thames Boy, named John Mitchinson - John and I went to Pukekohe for one day of the " Supercars " recently.

Ray Bell
    The A125 / A135 Motor - yes, believe that it was a version of the A70 A90 AH 100 motor - which was a Truck motor of around 3 1/4 to 3 and 1/2 litres [ the A70/90 was the same block just cut down to a 4 cylinder - good stuff and thanks.

Myles Hicks is going to find some photos of the AH 3000 / 4000 and send them to me.
    - watch this space.

Semi-Pro Racer

McLoughlin brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Spelling of surname was always McLoughlin in programmes I have from 1960's. They also ventured into single-seaters a year or two later, not with much success, cars a bit long in the tooth by then - 2.5 Cooper and Lotus 18 - Peter (not Pat) and Roger I think.

Stu

McLoughlin brothers and the Ruddspeed 3000 Austin 4000 Healey.

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Spelling of surname was always McLoughlin in programmes I have from 1960's. They also ventured into single-seaters a year or two later, not with much success, cars a bit long in the tooth by then - 2.5 Cooper and Lotus 18 - Peter (not Pat) and Roger I think.

Stu
    Stu, thanks for the info about the name - I will check with Myles Hicks on the Christian names [ the Pat came I think from the initials P. A. T. perhaps ]
    Thanks Kevin too about the motors - have received nearly a dozen photos from Myles Hicks and a lot more on the History of the car.
    Interestingly just got a Message from Ken H -he knew of a John Mitchinson when in Kiwitahi - at school who was around the same DoB as his brother 1944 !! - Small World ?? perhaps

This montage shows the car several photos and the burnt out wreck of the A95.

Name:  AH 3000 #246 Ruddspeed - 4000 Montage 4 photos sticker Myles Hicks  (800x598).jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  154.5 KB

More photo to follow am trying put them in order - from the Rego plates white on deep red 1956-61 and then black on yellow the last series.

Number plates ;
    1956 - 61 - Car was a very early 3000 built in 1959. so had a set of these first.

Name:  NZ Number plates #961 1956 - 61 crop R Armstrong .jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  46.5 KB

Then these 1961 -64.

Name:  NZ Number plates #966 1961 - 66 crop R Armstrong .jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  47.3 KB

Plates 1937 to 1965/66 year
    Name:  NZ Number plates #3, 1937 - 1966 - 64-66 permanent plates intro..jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  91.7 KB