Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    In the two Healey photos is it a spot the differences competition ? For you Ken - Yes
    If it is, then the knobbly knees are about all I can find. Do I win the prize ? Yes as well, the 2nd photo came out bigger too !!

(Ken H)
    p.s. I think it will be too wet for you to move in two weeks so I think you should come to Taupo where fun can be had by all whether in sunshine or in rain.
    Would like to, must give it some thought !!
    Cheers Ken H

They are NOT my knees...

The McLaren Healey

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    No response to my pic of the McLaren Healey!!!
    Rhys, good things take time as they said in the cheese ads, with the two Old Codgers [ or Oldfarts ].
    A note from Mark Donaldson;
    This is the BN1 that Les McLaren owned from 1955 to 1957. It has been owned by Barry Clearwater, in Gore, since 1973. The personalised registration plate, 346.239, is the one that the car had when Les and Bruce raced it. Les McLaren modified the engine and ran it on methanol. It was very fast and even beat Ross Jensen's 100S. I have certificates for it clocked at 131 mph ;
    Here is the photo again ;

Name:  AH McLaren Healey 100 Lumsden HillClimb 2017 Rhys Nolan.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  158.7 KB

The number plate would have had a comma 1951-56 then a star 56 - 61 not sure if the original plate from 1955 !! ; this is the plates list from the the 1930's to the end of the licensing cycle 1964-66.
    Would be great to recreate the plate in original colours and format

Name:  NZ Number plates #3, 1937 - 1966 - 64-66 permanent plates intro..jpg
Views: 855
Size:  91.7 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-06-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Driven by Barry's son Grant in the photo at Lumsden. Barry said that Grant wasn't trying hard enough

In regard the plates above, are we sure those dates are totally correct? Personally I don't. I'm using as a reference the NZ Licensing gov't department.

Old plates

Driven by Barry's son Grant in the photo at Lumsden. Barry said that Grant wasn't trying hard enough

In regard the plates above, are we sure those dates are totally correct? Personally I don't. I'm using as a reference the NZ Licensing gov't department.
    Rhys, would agree about the dates, [ years ], being approximate I do know from other sources that they changed from 2 yearly to to 5 yearly cycle during the war and never seemed to change. the Black on Yellow were on my Dad's brand new Zephyr in 1963. I do remember the White on Dark Red, not really the White on Black as a bit young.
    The above are good for the colour and style of the plate including the character used ; comma, star, hyphen, fullstop, etc..
    Had a couple of old plates, including an new permanent series one of an old Austin A35 that I wrecked, gave them away !! Seems like shouldhave sold them

Name:  NZ Number plates #4, 1937 - 1966 Govt & special plates D A Howell.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  170.0 KB

The photo, who took it ? and are there any more ??.

The McLaren Healey some more pictures

No response to my pic of the McLaren Healey!!!
    McLaren's cars the Ford with Austin - Healey and "The " Austin 7..Bruce's first racing Car !!
    Name:  AH 100 and Austin McLaren cars Dave A Howell.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  90.5 KB

From the Seabrook Fowlds collection with " Chappie " Chapman mechanic and Ross Jensen, before the McLarens owned the car.

Name:  AH 100 Ross Jensen  McLaren Trust Seabrook Fowlds colln  V2 (800x608).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  158.4 KB

And a 100 at Ohakea 1956. not the same car

Name:  AH 100S and others Ohakea 1956 Lew Redwood press photo .jpg
Views: 747
Size:  70.7 KB

The picture that prompted the comment
    Name:  AH McLaren Healey 100 Lumsden HillClimb 2017 Rhys Nolan.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  158.7 KB

Hi Roger,

Saw this at Taupo yesterday but unfortunately it didn't go out on the track. Perhaps it will today - but I'm not there!!

Name:  IMG_2198.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  151.8 KB

World Champion
    Was at the Festival last weekend as well, but didnt go out that I saw........what a shame....we need to see AND hear these machines. Has been nicely restored but I wonder how much of the original is there. Was surprised at the standing 1/4 time on the info board........I thought it would be much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Hi Roger,

Saw this at Taupo yesterday but unfortunately it didn't go out on the track. Perhaps it will today - but I'm not there!!

Name:  IMG_2198.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  151.8 KB
    Nigel, and AMCO72, saw it on Saturday at HD, the weekend before. took quite a few photo's, thanks for this one Nigel, It is The " Healey - Corvette that has had a V8 in it for most of its life, made famous !, by Arthur Kennard in the late 1950's ..

Not posting much at the moment as on a data stick, while staying on Waiheke Island - back on the 31st, so will download my photo's.

World Champion
    Was hoping to get a reply from you Roger regarding the Healey Corvette's standing 1/4 time. From memory it was 16.8.......I am sure a standard 100/4 would do that......a lot of work installing a big engine for very little gain.....I seem to remember Dave Silcock racing against it in its day and commenting on how 'slow' it was........the word slow being relative........Nice looking machine all the same.

Standing 1/4 mile times

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Was hoping to get a reply from you Roger regarding the Healey Corvette's standing 1/4 time. From memory it was 16.8.......I am sure a standard 100/4 would do that......a lot of work installing a big engine for very little gain.....I seem to remember Dave Silcock racing against it in its day and commenting on how 'slow' it was........the word slow being relative........Nice looking machine all the same.
    AMCO72 - good comment.
    I did in the high 18's mid 19's in a 100/6 back in 1984 at Napier - Thunderpark !!. was in a borrowed Car, so didn't thrash it !!.

Name:  AHCCNZ events #86 Drag Strip results & Rego's v2 CCI22042016 (800x564).jpg
Views: 682
Size:  129.0 KB

The Standard 100 did it in 17.5 according to this advert so a not a big improvement, guess top speed would be well up.

Name:  AH Advert 56 K Hyndman TRS.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  129.9 KB

Now for a 100S a tad quicker at 16.1 best run 15.9 - thanks to Ken Hyndman for theses two articles ;

Name:  AH Healey 100S # 1 specs K Hyndman.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  146.5 KB

There is an article on the " Kennard " Healey - Corvette a few years back in NZ Classic Driver, which I must get a copy of !!
    Can anyone help with that -just a scanned version would do. please PM me about it

The Healey Corvette is entered for Leadfoot 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    The Healey Corvette is entered for Leadfoot 2018.
    That is great Ray ..

A couple of TRS members at Hampton Downs, Peter M and I saw the car then.
    Name:  AH TRS members Roger D, John B Peter M - J Bennoch photo.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  82.2 KB

A Healey advert 1960's

Name:  AH 3000 and Sprite advert G Woods.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  85.8 KB

Healey versus Daimler the photo has the details ..and one more pic..

1950's 4 versus 1960's V8.. borrowed from AH Club of NSW ..

Name:  AH 100S and SP250 Warwick Farm B Williamson colln.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  40.0 KB

and for something different, my Mate Jerry Luidahl. the tow car for his Healey 100,which I drove in Oregon in 1982 from Salem to Medford,Oregon ,here seen as set up for the trip to Snowmass in July 1982

Name:  AH 100 Jerry Luidahls 100 - and MG Tow car to Snowmass 1982 - J Luidahl.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  89.6 KB

Roger,

In presenting the photo I trust that are you are not suggesting that an Austin Healy was/is a match for an SP250 Daimler. LOL

Smales Farm Caffeine & Classics January. It appears there was a conflicting meet up the coast at Orewa, so attendance was a bit lower than usual. Still a good meet though and plenty of people to chat to as always - but hot!

Name:  218_0128_02 Austin Healey.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  170.4 KB

HL 3000 the ex Bill Dunster car now owned since 1973 by BMCBOY

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Smales Farm Caffeine & Classics January. It appears there was a conflicting meet up the coast at Orewa, so attendance was a bit lower than usual. Still a good meet though and plenty of people to chat to as always - but hot!

Name:  218_0128_02 Austin Healey.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  170.4 KB
    Ray,

That is " BMC BOY's " [ Ross C ] early 3000, unusual as a BN7, two seater with the rear shroud the same as the early cars [ 100's BN1 and BN2 ] so no open area behind the front seats with a few later mods, which I have forgotten some of the details of, I do know a later gearbox, which I helped clear customs back in 1983, when he had it shipped in from the USA !!
    Good to see the car in use.

A picture of the Car when Ross first bought it either Ross's or Bill Dunsters photo. Ross sent it to me some time ago - the car raced at Pukekohe in the early 3 hour races for improved vehicles, run ahead of the Wills Six Hour race.

Name:  AH A-Healey-pre-restoration- Ross Cammick  (800x531).jpg
Views: 819
Size:  163.4 KB

Was on the Island still, so one missed it, two,forgot about it, and as seen three, a boat trip to get there !! " B****r ".. as they say

Oh drat. If I'd known who owned it I would have had a chat, as I followed him in!!!

This is Ross's car when it was being raced by Bill Dunster at Pukekohe in 1965.

Name:  img851_1.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  27.6 KB

That is " BMC BOY's " [ Ross C ] early 3000, unusual as a BN7, two seater with the rear shroud the same as the early cars [ 100's BN1 and BN2 ] so no open area behind the front seats with a few later mods, which I have forgotten some of the details of, I do know a later gearbox, which I helped clear customs back in 1983, when he had it shipped in from the USA !!
    Good to see the car in use.

A picture of the Car when Ross first bought it either Ross's or Bill Dunsters photo. Ross sent it to me some time ago - the car raced at Pukekohe in the early 3 hour races for improved vehicles, run ahead of the Wills Six Hour race.
    [/QUOTE]

Roger,

I remember Bill Dunster well. There was group of us racing production sports cars and we had an absolute ball at every of many varied events. The friendship involved became quite wonderful. Even so the racing was full on and very competitive, but in the pita everyone gave everyone a helping hand. "Did you see Charlie spun up in the hay bales LOL and did ----. I have fitted a Holden front sway bar, have a look, you can gat one from a wrecker. What tyre pressures are you running." And so it went on. No one short handed or missing a tool or part, was left disadvantaged at flag fall. Everyone won on the day, no matter what.

However, neither the Dunster or Conway 3000 Healy could foot it with the 2500 SP250 Daimlers.

Regards, Trevor