Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    is that an A90,or 95, or 105 Kev? Is it you?
    Definately A90 Rhys, no as Milan said. Maybe we should concentrate more before putting pen to paper, [apologie's Milan]

Only the A90 had the stubby boot, as this one does...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Definately A90 Rhys, no as Milan said. Maybe we should concentrate more before putting pen to paper, [apologie's Milan]
    Well, I could not read the number on the photo of the A90 so crediting back to John Bernard was impossible. As well as that I can't tell the differences between the various models of the A9* versions. In all honesty I thought all A90 were the roundy versions like an Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    These are the three cars in that class. It's not the Ford so it has to be one of the others.

Attachment 59123
    Class " G " was class Glenn " Jigger " Jones - before he got his Chevvy,Terry Boyle who raced the Humber Jaguar at one time and Colin Lumsden in the De Soto - the one that had twin rear wheels at one stage ?? or an earlier car ???

More Healeys - another Hill Climb - Auckland Car Club

Putting the photos and a second group from the same event from Milan's archives ;
    the October 1963 ACC Hillclimb Chamberlain Road ; from the ACC Bulletin - shows who the photographer was.

Name:  NSCC #98 ACC Hillclimb Chamberlain Road 13101963 photo's 1  M Fistonic .jpg
Views: 803
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  NSCC #99 ACC Hillclimb Chamberlain Road 13101963 photo's 2  M Fistonic .jpg
Views: 765
Size:  136.5 KB

The results ;

Name:  NSCC #100 ACC Hillclimb Chamberlain Road 13101963 results 1 M Fistonic .jpg
Views: 735
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  NSCC #101 ACC Hillclimb Chamberlain Road 13101963 results 2 M Fistonic .jpg
Views: 701
Size:  140.6 KB

Originally posted by Oldfart
    Well, I could not read the number on the photo of the A90 so crediting back to John Bernard was impossible. As well as that I can't tell the differences between the various models of the A9* versions. In all honesty I thought all A90 were the roundy versions like an Atlantic.
    When the Atlantic was pensioned off they had the C-series 6-cylinder engine on stream. It went into the new A90, which sported a badge on the bootlid which said 'six'. also the Morris Isis - a lengthened Oxford - and the Wolseley 6/90. And on phasing out the Riley 2.5-litre 4-cylinder engine they put it into the Pathfinder body, with a new name, 'Riley two point six'. This engine is not related to any truck engines or the earlier (truck engine-based) 3.5-litre and 4-litre six-cylinder sedans with 'Princess' and 'A125' badges, often known as 'Sherelines'.

A couple of years on the A90 gained a longer boot, which gave it the new name of 'A95', with the A105 following but I don't know the differences. In Australia there was a Morris version known as the Morris Marshall.

New models all-round came with the engine's growth to 2912ccs, new Farina bodies and we had the Van den Plas Princess 3-litre, the Austin A99 and Wolseley 6/99. No more big Riley, no more big Morris. All of these had twin 1˝" SU carbies, whereas before a mix of carby arrangements was used. Some changes to the porting in the heads gave them more power and somewhere the names became A110 and 6/110.

Without these cars I guess it wouldn't have been plausible to produce the 100/6 and 3000 versions of the Healeys. And the Austin Healey 4000 prototypes came from the mechanicals of the slightly later (1964?) Princess 4-litre R, which sported an all-alloy Rolls-Royce engine.

Austin A90 / 95 / 105 the Saloon Healey ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    When the Atlantic was pensioned off they had the C-series 6-cylinder engine on stream. It went into the new A90, which sported a badge on the bootlid which said 'six'. also the Morris Isis - a lengthened Oxford - and the Wolseley 6/90. And on phasing out the Riley 2.5-litre 4-cylinder engine they put it into the Pathfinder body, with a new name, 'Riley two point six'. This engine is not related to any truck engines or the earlier (truck engine-based) 3.5-litre and 4-litre six-cylinder sedans with 'Princess' and 'A125' badges, often known as 'Sherelines'.

A couple of years on the A90 gained a longer boot, which gave it the new name of 'A95', with the A105 following but I don't know the differences. In Australia there was a Morris version known as the Morris Marshall.

New models all-round came with the engine's growth to 2912ccs, new Farina bodies and we had the Van den Plas Princess 3-litre, the Austin A99 and Wolseley 6/99. No more big Riley, no more big Morris. All of these had twin 1˝" SU carbies, whereas before a mix of carby arrangements was used. Some changes to the porting in the heads gave them more power and somewhere the names became A110 and 6/110.

Without these cars I guess it wouldn't have been plausible to produce the 100/6 and 3000 versions of the Healeys. And the Austin Healey 4000 prototypes came from the mechanicals of the slightly later (1964?) Princess 4-litre R, which sported an all-alloy Rolls-Royce engine.

Stole this picture from the other Ray [ ERC ]. an A90 at speed.

Name:  Cars #112 Austin A90 Ray Green .jpg
Views: 674
Size:  108.7 KB

A 105 Westminster ;

Name:  Cars #112 Austin A105 Simons Cars .jpg
Views: 608
Size:  13.0 KB

Ray Bell, thanks for the information - and there was an unusual Morris in Australia the " Morris Marshall " an A95/105 clone ..

Name:  Cars #113 Morris Marshall 1957 2.6 litre - website .jpg
Views: 830
Size:  19.0 KB

Austin Healey's the Snowmass Adventure 1982

Came across another picture from the July 1982 Trip to Snowmass for the " 30th Anniversary of the Austin Healey ".
    We wnet with about 10 AH's from Ventura California, up to Santa Monica and on Route 66 through San Bernadino, Barstow, Kingman and on to Flagstaff where we overnighted.
    The photo by Ross Cammick [ BMC BOY ]. we took turns travelling in the Kiwi Healey - The Lincoln Coupe owned by Jim Mann,of German Auto Haus and Classics West.
    " Absolutely British " Walt Glendenning,who Ken H knew is in the photo as is his 100/6 and Hans Nohr [ who ran
    " Absolutely British 11 " after Walts was killed in a motorcycle accident ] owns the BRG 3000.
    " Absolutely British 111 " is now run by Walt's apprentice Eric Grunden, from that time. The Eric that Ken H knows well.

Two of the Healeys a couple of Kiwis and our American friends all in AH New Zealand yellow T shirts. Sergio - Jim Mann's offsider holding the sign
    Brenda with camera, Walt, Sergio with sign and Bryan.

Name:  Healey trip 1982 #201 Lincoln - Jim Mann's - Healey Hans Nohr, Brenda Walt, Sergio and Bryan Oxn.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  78.7 KB

View from the other way - I am taking a photo of the photo's being taken [ posted before].

Name:  Healey trip #203 Healeys and Lincoln Ventura July 1982 Ross Cammick .jpg
Views: 945
Size:  90.6 KB

Walts Business Card - one of two that he used in the early 1980's - this is the second one with Walt's BN6 100 Six as the feature.

Name:  Healey trip 1982 #148 Absolutely British Walt Glendenning card v2, CCI02072016_0001 (2) (800x514.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  98.8 KB

A letter Ken H wrote on Erics letterhead paper.
    Name:  Absolutely British - Eric Grunden - letter K Hyndman v2, 2815_001 (3) (477x800).jpg
Views: 594
Size:  142.3 KB

and Ken H is making a pilgrimage downunder for Taupo January 2019, as mentioned on TRS.
    Would like to be there too !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-24-2018 at 04:03 AM. Reason: add photo ###47

Out of curiosity, what model was the De Soto?

And yes, the A90/6 is a bit of a mystery, definitely over 2500cc at 2639, A sedan-bodied 100/6!
    The Lumsden De Soto - which as John Mckechnie states had twin rear wheels at one stage was around a 1960 model.
    Here is a photo - which has appeared on my Pukekohe Thread ..

Name:  Cars # Pukekohe V8, De Soto  C Lumsden - Bruce Thompson.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  127.3 KB

Thanks, Roger...

I did find it in the other thread, along with some other pics. As a De Soto, it was an emaciated model in this form, a Diplomat from Canadian production. Plymouth body, a front which blended some De Soto features with some Dodge features. I am still curious to know what engine it ran.

But it certainly was one wild car.

de [ De ] Soto - Colin Lumsden a 1960 !! model

Thanks, Roger...

I did find it in the other thread, along with some other pics. As a De Soto, it was an emaciated model in this form, a Diplomat from Canadian production. Plymouth body, a front which blended some De Soto features with some Dodge features. I am still curious to know what engine it ran.

Ray Bell, belive it was the De [ de ] Soto V8 - called a Firedome from memory - somewhere I may have a race entry list with its capacity [ Milan Fistanic will have it on one,]
    It seems to have run mainly at Pukekohe, early 1960's as I had never seen it - started going in 1965 the long distance races in October November was my first meeting, while still as school -last year, then from January 1966 I went nearly every meeting after that for over 10 years [acting as Marshal in 1967 - 69/70 for Northern Sports Car Club at their national Meetings ]
    Will check it out and " report back " - could be a few days.. archives, archives etc...

100S some random photos - Steve Pike archives.

Steve Pike, well known Australian - restorer, owner and driver of Austin - Healey's - worked on the famous Fred Cohen car that was at Snowmass in 1982 - First " S " I had seen.
    Photos from his archives - one shows a young Joe Jarick - another Australian Healeyite who owned a 100S - not sure if he still does.

The Bonneville Record breaker Streamliner
    Name:  AH 100S #50 Recordbreaker Booneville USA Geoff Donald Roy S Pike archives .jpg
Views: 563
Size:  62.0 KB

Joe Jarick beside car
    Name:  AH 100S #51 Joe Jarick AHS3905 May 1972 Sydney S Pike archives .jpg
Views: 579
Size:  66.1 KB

Racer
    Name:  AH 100S #52 Race #100 S Pike archives .jpg
Views: 555
Size:  59.3 KB

Oops a bit of damage.
    Name:  AH 100S #53 Race #23 USA damaged S Pike archives .jpg
Views: 878
Size:  50.1 KB

If I find out more will edit the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Ray Bell, belive it was the De [ de ] Soto V8 - called a Firedome from memory - somewhere I may have a race entry list with its capacity [ Milan Fistanic will have it on one,]
    It seems to have run mainly at Pukekohe, early 1960's as I had never seen it - started going in 1965 the long distance races in October November was my first meeting, while still as school -last year, then from January 1966 I went nearly every meeting after that for over 10 years [acting as Marshal in 1967 - 69/70 for Northern Sports Car Club at their national Meetings ]
    Will check it out and " report back " - could be a few days.. archives, archives etc...
    Have checked and I have photos of the car in 1964 one with the dual rear wheels,and one racing by Bob Homewood, another NSCC Guy that I knew back then .. can't see a programme at the moment.

Didn't Joe Jarick later own a Sebring 100/6?

Thanks, Roger...

Ray Bell, have found a bit more on the de [ De ] Soto and have posted it on my Dunedin Thread [ well it will be shortly - just been editing ] as a bit of a " Special ". had several photos and two different Race entries for the car in 1964

My mistake about Joe Jarick... it was Joe Armour who owned the Sebring 100/6

Thoughts for the New Year ..

Hmm !!!

Name:  Cartoon #17 Vintage Restoration Rotorua VVCC John Vevers .jpg
Views: 717
Size:  104.8 KB

Happy 2019 Guys ..

LX100 previously ID9783 My 1955 A-H 100. .. around '85 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Bumpers and valance removed, no driving lights and now sporting 72 spoke Wire Wheels, on the rear, off a Triumph TR6, that I had used on my TR4A at times. 48 spokes were original, bloody narrow though !!
    It has a new soft top, had only the frame and a hardtop when purchased, soft top was purchased in the UK during my 1982 trip to the USA and UK .. I liked it without the bumpers, the front one was a non-original one, as were the brakes and the 14 inch Hotwire Mags. I believe that Lance Elliott has taken it back to original when he did the restoration that was required. Unsure who has the car now.
    I bought it from a guy in Laingholm who also had an MGC, but it had spent some time and had the " modifications " done, funny brakes and those Hotwires when owned, by a guy from Cook Beach, Coromandel. had correspondence about it but gave that and the workshop parts book [ original ], manual [ a reproduction ] to Lance Elliott.

Attachment 34837

Attachment 34838

Attachment 34839

Attachment 34840
    My poor information keeping - or is " Carjam " wrong ??

Saw an AH 100 [ four ] today at Omokoroa Reg No BA4120 in a metallic blue with a racing number in a white circle " 54 " . Went to Carjam about the car and it is a 1954 model first Reg in NZ in 1960 and with chassis number # 159308.

Year: 1954
    Make: AUSTIN
    Model: HEALEY
    Colour: Blue
    Body Style: Saloon
    Plate: BA4120
    Engine No: 1B213607M
    Chassis: 159308

Has an M on the engine Number - so must be an M version .. didn't see if it had a louvered bonnet and a leather strap.

Checked on my car - it has chassis number 159498 so 190 chassis later and it says a 1955 model - I always remembered it as a 1953 model .. so without seeing the car and the Manufacturers plate

Year: 1955
    Make: AUSTIN
    Model: HEALEY
    Colour: Red
    Body Style: Saloon
    Plate: LX100
    Engine No: 1B214676
    Chassis: BN1159498.

My cars engine is / was 2500 cc - actually 2660cc, but the other car is stated as 1500cc ??, again 2660 cc

As LX100 features elsewhere on this thread - if I have put 1953 - It could / should be 1955 - again according to Carjam.. Wish I had taken a copy of the Registration papers, and the Chassis Plate ..

Sunday, March 10 Otaua Classic Hillclimb

As mentioned on ERC's thread " Just a mix of pics " The MG Car Club have invited the Waitemata Branch of the Vintage Car Club - the Chelsea Hill Climb competitors to their HillClimb at Maioro Road, Otaua - the event founded by the Austin Healey Car Club of New Zealand in 1983.

Details from the MGCC calender are brief, as follows

" Sunday, March 10

Otaua Classic Hillclimb
    "

Hope to see cars like this running

Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1986 #6  Sprite CCI25112015_0005 (800x568).jpg
Views: 738
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985- 88 #41 Lotus Elan Sprint v2, CCI07122015 (2) (482x668).jpg
Views: 655
Size:  92.1 KB

at the moment the MGCC page shows this ;

" When
    Sunday, Mar 10, 2019
    Description

Otaua Classic Hillclimb

Mark the date in your diary

Check back for details to come. "

If / when I hear / read more will post here.

Cheers

Roger D
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-19-2019 at 04:41 AM. Reason: spelling ####47

Specials are "Special " a couple of Special Austin Healey's ..

A Big one - prototype Coupe 3000 - seen at Silverstone in 1968 .. Ivo Visser archives.

Name:  AH 3000 #52 Coupe prototype at Silverstone 1968 I Visser archives .jpg
Views: 934
Size:  79.8 KB

and a Special Sprite - Mark Boldry noted " As far as I know the car is in Japan..... I understand a little time ago that it was crashed and rebuilt and now is rebuilt more like a standard Mk1 Sprite. "

Name:  AH Sprite #31 Speedwell streamliner Tom Colby archives .jpg
Views: 747
Size:  77.9 KB

Photo from Tom Colby archives, I met Tom at the " 30th Anniversary of the Austin Healey " at Snowmass in July 1982.
    Tom is still involved in preparing, racing and rebuilding of Austin Healey Sprites