Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    And a very nice sequential tail light Cougar in front as well.
    BTW- we were off walking the dogs a couple of Sundays ago, and we counted forty seven MX5s going onto the Southern motorway at Sylvia Park........modern day equivalent of a early seventies British Sports Car run.
    Great parade of the same model MX5- you are in good company Roger.
    Thanks John Mck.. those early MX5's are finally being considered as collectible classics .. mine needs a lot of work, could be an upholstery job in the future.

Another Day Another Austin - Healey ..

Seen today by my cousin, who took a series of photos at the Le Mans Relay Race in February 1983, that started this thread..
    a 1962 3000, model BT7. The car was at a roadside cafe and apparently on a long drive to a meeting The Spring Southern Tour.

Name:  AHCCNZ #200 62  BT7 J Dowding  05092017 (800x585) (2).jpg
Views: 853
Size:  156.5 KB

and from the rear;

Name:  AHCCNZ #203 62 BT7 J Dowding 05092017 (800x595) (2).jpg
Views: 823
Size:  134.3 KB

and a pic from those original shots by John Dowding , sitting in my 100 waiting to race.

Name:  Healey at Pukekohe 1983) (2) (800x553).jpg
Views: 809
Size:  121.1 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-05-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: extra photo #### 47

Austin Healey 3000 BT7 - the Phil Mules / Bernie Huynen car

The car has featured here, with Phil Mules racing at Hamilton in the Telecom Motorfest in 1994 and in some recent photos when Bernie Huynen took it to an Austin Healey Car Club event

Phil Mules Telecom Motorfest in 1994 - my photos
    Name:  Telecom Motorfest 1994 Phil Mules Healey. #2. CCI06092015 (2) (800x513).jpg
Views: 766
Size:  137.8 KB

Name:  Telecom Classic 1994, Phil Mules Healey - #2, pits CCI09092015 (2) (800x517).jpg
Views: 772
Size:  150.3 KB

With Bernie Huynen in February 2017 - photos courtesy AHCCNZ facebook page
    Name:  AHCC AH BT7 #2 Bernie Huynen's Healey Feb 2017 (2).jpg
Size:  156.1 KB

Name:  AHCC AH BT7 #3 Bernie Huynen and Healey Feb 2017.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  55.8 KB

The Car is now for sale at " AutoClassics " in Paraparaumu for $90,000 and described as
    " 1962 Austin Healey BT7
    Road going race car, fast
    and spectacular, $90,000 "

The Advert appears in the issue # 74 of Classic Driver which also features a couple of Letters to the Editor about the George Lawton [ driver to Europe with Denny Hulme back in the 1960's ] Dick Shanks Austin Healey 100/6

The George Lawton car has featured on this thread with photo by Graham Woods

AHCCNZ events - 2017 Spring Southern Tour on now

The Tour has been to Invercargill and many other places in Otago and Southland.

The Tourists seen here, well the cars at Transport World. Courtesy AHCCNZ

Name:  AHCCNZ #223 Healeys at Transport world AHCCNZ photo.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  72.6 KB

and a few appeared at Autospectacular in Dunedin - photos Allan Dick Autonews and Classic Driver writer and publisher.

Name:  AHCCNZ #224 Healeys at AutoSpectacular Sep 2017 Allan Dick photo.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  AHCCNZ #225 TR's and  Healeys at AutoSpectacular Sep 2017 Allan Dick photo.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  124.1 KB

The Car is now for sale at " AutoClassics " in Paraparaumu for $90,000 and described as
    " 1962 Austin Healey BT7

----------------

Sad news to report - Bernie passed away last Saturday night. A celebration of his life will be held at Southward Car Museum from 1pm on Wednesday 25th October.

RIP Bernie Huynen

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hyndman View Post

" 1962 Austin Healey BT7

----------------

Sad news to report - Bernie passed away last Saturday night. A celebration of his life will be held at Southward Car Museum from 1pm on Wednesday 25th October.
    Alan, yes very sad, have known Bernie and Julie for over 30 years, there have been many tributes to Bernie on his Facebook page and by Austin - Healey Clubs and Club Members around the world.

Bernie at a Hill Climb
    Name:  AHCC events Bernie Huynen Valiant Healey photog.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  56.1 KB

AHCCNZ Masteron Rally at the Gymkhana 1989
    Name:  AHCCNZ events #36 1989 Masterton Rally Gymkhana Bernie Huynen CCI29022016_0003 (800x576).jpg
Views: 676
Size:  154.1 KB

Bill Povey Bernie and Ross Cammick at Rotorua Rally 1980's
    Name:  AHCCNZ events #135 1987 Rotorua Rally people 2,  Bernie, Ross l to r CCI15052016_0008 (800x514).jpg
Views: 685
Size:  111.7 KB

Ardmore 1959 the qualifying race for the NZIGP

posted on Austin Healey 100S facebook page Graham Pierce 100S AHS 3908 qualifying for the 1959 NZ Grand Prix.

Name:  AH 100S #4 Graham Pierce NZIGP 1959 quliafying race Ardmore .jpg
Views: 706
Size:  148.1 KB

What a field, Lycoming, Piccolo Maserati, Ferrari's and others .. Photo attributed to Barry Mckay

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    posted on Austin Healey 100S facebook page Graham Pierce 100S AHS 3908 qualifying for the 1959 NZ Grand Prix.

Name:  AH 100S #4 Graham Pierce NZIGP 1959 quliafying race Ardmore .jpg
Views: 706
Size:  148.1 KB

What a field, Lycoming, Piccolo Maserati, Ferrari's and others .. Photo attributed to Barry Mckay
    That would be the first heat in which Pierce finished 11th and thus didn't qualify for the Grand Prix.

Name:  img102_1.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  img104_1.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  163.2 KB

Bernie at a Hill Climb
    Name:  AHCC events Bernie Huynen Valiant Healey photog.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  56.1 KB

Roger, you are welcome to add these images to your files - my club's records show the date was 28 October 1984 and the venue was Mauriceville in the Wairarapa (someone told me years ago it was a road to a limestone quarry) - and to prove we lived in colour in the 1980s:

Name:  Bernie 2a 28Oct1984.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  Bernie 1a 28Oct1984.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  184.4 KB

TRS's more knowledgeable contributors can tell me why Bernie's Healey is gold over white in some photos and burgundy over white in others.

Allan Hyndman, thank you for the offer I will save the photos and thanks for posting them here.

My photo's of Bernie car in 1989 at Masterton were after a repaint to Burgundy, which was a lot better than the gold, presume had some other work done too. I remember when it was Gold unsure if I have any photos back then.
    My version of your photo I got from Jerry Luidahl in Oregon USA he used on a Facebook tribute to Bernie as he knew him well too, we were all at Snowmass together in 1982, Bernie used it on a Christmas Card a few years ago.
    A lot of Healey Guys were doing that, their Healey on a card and sending them to friends, have a few tucked away from some of the USA guys
    In recent times the car was purchased by a guy who wanted to fit a V8 but couldn't get compliance so he reverted to a new Valiant six
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-28-2023 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    That would be the first heat in which Pierce finished 11th and thus didn't qualify for the Grand Prix.

Name:  img102_1.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  img104_1.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  163.2 KB
    Milan, thank you again,I will pass on the information to to the " Austin Healey 100S " facebook page, where I got the photo from.
    cheers
    Roger D

Hill Climb Mauriceville, Wairaparapa NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Allan Hyndman, thank you for the offer I will save the photos and thanks for posting them here.

My photo's of Bernie car in 1989 at Masterton were after a repaint to Burgundy, which was a lot better than the gold, presume had some other work done too. I remember when it was Gold unsure if I have any photos back then.
    My version of your photo I got from Jerry Luidahl in Oregon USA he used on a Facebook tribute to Bernie as he knew him well too, we were all at Snowmass together in 1982, Bernie used it on a Christmas Card a few years ago,A lot of Healey Guys were doing that, there Healey on a card and sending them to friends, have a few tucked away from some of the USA guys
    In recent times the car was purchased by a guy who wanted to fit a V8 but couldn't get compliance so he reverted to a new Valiant six
    Allan Hyndman,
    I googled Mauriceville, Wairaparapa and yes there is a a windy road with a great hairpin in it that leads to a terraced excavation so probably the quarry you mention.
    Have sent a colour copy of your photos to Jerry Luidahl in Oregon - cheers
    Roger D

AH 3000 BT7 .. the Phil Mules - Bernie Huynen car

Photo " borrowed " from ERC's thread A Mix of Pics.
    " BT7 " a well known Healey in the hands of both Phil Mules and the late Bernie Huynen.
    seen here at Manfeild in 1999 .. Now the " Chris Amon " Circuit.

ERC has advised that it was Phil Mules in the car at Manfeild in 1999,Ray was also racing but did not have a good day.
    he wrote
    " Definitely Philip Mules. Race 4, he finished 3rd with a lap time of 1:24.77, beaten by Richard McCarthy (Snr) Lotus 7, 1:24.94. Race won by Andrew Whittaker TVR Tuscan 1:19.15.
    "
    Name:  AH 3000 BT7 Phil Mules - Bernie Huynen car Manfield 1999 Ray Green 199_1109_128 Austin Healey.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  120.6 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 10-30-2017 at 05:08 AM. Reason: notes from ERC ###47

Chelsea 'Walsh ' Hill Climb, Chelsea Sugar Works, Birkenhead

The event is on this Sunday - the 35th ** Running of it, I think.
    I intend to be there Camera in hand.
    Starts at 9;00 a.m.

http://new-zealand-events.com/event/...alsh-hillclimb

and yes it is not a Healey ..
    Name:  Motor Racing - Chelsea Hill Climb VCC NZ pic.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  40.3 KB

Here are some notes from the Waitemata Branch of the Vintage Car Club - about the events. First run in October 1976 **

The Chelsea Walsh Hill Climb
    Today seen as one of New Zealand’s most elegant and delightful hill climbs.

The Chelsea event was dreamt up 35 years ago by the late Barry Gay, who though contacts at the NZ Sugar Refinery managed to persuade the Company that their private access road would make an excellent motorsport venue. Reluctantly they agreed to trial the idea and it was agreed that Sunday 31st October 1976 was a suitable date.

The name “Chelsea Walsh” was of course a play on words by John Hearne in homage to the famous Shelsley Walsh Hill climb in England. Like its namesake the road rises away from a flat start beside the cooling ponds, cuts right over a small concrete bridge and then climbs steadily up through a heavily wooded thicket to burst out onto the bottom of the left hand Hairpin. This is a non constant curve and its double camber twist has been the bęte noir that exercises the driving skills of all the competitors. Exiting the hairpin the road continues up through the parkland and flicks right to go past the Sugar Works cottages. Over the finish line, a snappy throttle off and a judicious application of retardation before pulling off to the left and into the upper parking reserve.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-03-2017 at 01:36 AM. Reason: more info #### 47 ##

I'll be there Roger! Probably not first thing - more like about 11:30. Would be good to catch up. Yup, camera at the ready - Nikon shoulder strap and either a 2004 NZ Rally jacket or a Chicane shirt... Possibly park the green MGF at the top just inside the gates.

Pic above I think is Kevin Andrew (Wolseley Hornet Special) from whom I once bought a Singer Bantam project - but it was beyond my capabilities so I sold it on. Kevin and wife Liz were regular flag marshals in the early 1980's.
    Last edited by ERC; 11-01-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I'll be there Roger! Probably not first thing - more like about 11:30. Would be good to catch up. Yup, camera at the ready - Nikon shoulder strap and either a 2004 NZ Rally jacket or a Chicane shirt... Possibly park the green MGF at the top just inside the gates.

Pic above I think is Kevin Andrew (Wolseley Hornet Special) from whom I once bought a Singer Bantam project - but it was beyond my capabilities so I sold it on. Kevin and wife Liz were regular flag marshals in the early 1980's.
    Ray, I may take the Green MX5, but as have a bad back at the moment, may be the " modern " a Suzuki SX4, should see you then but may have to leave to collect " Her Indoors " as she is away for part of the weekend !!..

The Wolseley is more usually driven by Kevin's son Hamish. I'm unsure which is in that lovely pic. I love the background blur to give the speed impressions, and hard to do well, as it is done well here Ray.

A couple of photos I found of " Team Healey "people NZ

Unsure who took them but both from Snowmass in 1982

Julie Huynen and Ross Cammick. and some Healeys [ photo the late Bernie Huynen ]
    Name:  AH events Julie and Ross Snowmass July '82 (2).jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  75.4 KB

Frank Karl [ back to camera ] Ross and Mark Donaldson in AHCCNZ Yellow T-shirts [ maybe a Bernie photo ] I asked BMC BOY about both shots,not his !!
    Name:  AH events Ross Mark and Frank [ back to to camera ] Team Healey Snowmass '82 (2).jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  51.9 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-08-2017 at 04:51 AM.

Not my pic Rhys! That is Kevin driving though. Slightly slower shutter speed and 'panning' will give the blurred background. Kevin - black helmet, Hamish - silver helmet.

MGF is at the back of the garage so we will be in the modern too, but will park that in the street.

My wife may well come with me to enjoy the walk, but we won't be there too long... Weather is OK at the moment, just, but it looks a bit on the cloudy side and I'd expect a drop of rain.

PS: Wrong - bright sunshine!
    Last edited by ERC; 11-05-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Not my pic Rhys! That is Kevin driving though. Slightly slower shutter speed and 'panning' will give the blurred background. Kevin - black helmet, Hamish - silver helmet.

MGF is at the back of the garage so we will be in the modern too, but will park that in the street.

My wife may well come with me to enjoy the walk, but we won't be there too long... Weather is OK at the moment, just, but it looks a bit on the cloudy side and I'd expect a drop of rain.

PS: Wrong - bright sunshine!
    ERC, was there from 10;00 to 11;00 ish, caught up with Allan Horner Reg Whittaker and Ross BMC BOY Cammick all Healyites, met the guy who owns the Ralph Watson BSA special, and took a few photos. just have to download them, Allan took a few which i will " borrow "